hey

I got some used emgs the other day but im not sure if they work i have a multi meter and im not sure how i would go by testing them out and wondering if anyone can help me out. do you measure them differently from passive pickups?

Thanks for the help guys
how did you wire them? Did you follow a diagram? Did you use 25K pots, stereo jack, battery?

EDIT: Just wire them and then ask....
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
helpful hint: you dont need the tags when using image tags fixed it for you

not knowing about actives, any way they could just be wired up to the jack and then you yell into them to see if it makes noise? i know passives would pick up vocals a bit, so would that work for testing actives so you dont have to actually put them in the guitar?
Quote by jof1029

not knowing about actives, any way they could just be wired up to the jack and then you yell into them to see if it makes noise? i know passives would pick up vocals a bit, so would that work for testing actives so you dont have to actually put them in the guitar?

hm yeah. They pick up more vocals than passives do, so that could work. I mean, if you want to eventually use them, then you should just stick it in a guitar whenever you get a chance to and try it out yourself.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
well i mean if you arent sure they work, then taking off your strings and all that stuff could be a pain just to test them. and with the quick connect i think EMG is using these days, snapping the things together than talking into them might be a quick way to see if they even work. just throwing it out there, dont know how realistic of an idea it is.
Quote by jof1029

Just lay a screwdriver or something made of a metal that can be magnetized against the face of the pickup. (you'll feel it being attracted by the pickup's magnet)

With the battery connected and the signal wired to the output jack, you'll hear a massive thump though the amp, when you pull the screwdriver away.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 23, 2009,