I'd just like to get some recommendations on a distortion pedal. My main influences are Slash, John Frusciante, Jack White, Jimi Hendrix and Dan Auerbach. I'm not looking for like a crazy distortion/fuzz sound, like what you get with a Big Muff... I guess I'm looking for something that's in between a Big Muff and an OD pedal.
All of those artists sound very different, you'll need to pick a certain tone.

Anyway, I still recommend a Fulltone OCD. It's great from slight break-up to heavy rock.
Quote by Mitchell?
All of those artists sound very different, you'll need to pick a certain tone.

Anyway, I still recommend a Fulltone OCD. It's great from slight break-up to heavy rock.

Well, I'm not really looking for a certain tone... Just something that is in between a Big Muff and an OD pedal. I just made note of my influences so no one would recommend something that's used for death metal or something like that.
I get a really good Slash tone out of my Boss DS-1... That's all I use it for though cause it's not that great of a pedal
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
iono but you can get pretty cool distortion from a ds-1 for cheap, but its not good for anything heavier than prob like hard rock. personally i only use my ds-1 for a boost. try the ds-1 out, it might be to ur liking
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
id say Mi audio Crunch Box.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
id say Mi audio Crunch Box.

This one's at the top of my list for now.... the Fulltone OCD is a great pedal, but the Crunch Box is cheaper. And I personally don't like Boss pedals at all.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
This one's at the top of my list for now.... the Fulltone OCD is a great pedal, but the Crunch Box is cheaper. And I personally don't like Boss pedals at all.

seems like you have solved your own problem

(and the CB is a great pedal too)
Quote by Skierinanutshel
seems like you have solved your own problem

(and the CB is a great pedal too)

Is there anything else worth looking at besides those 2, then?
if u have the budget i second the fulltone OCD. if i had the money id buy it in a heartbeat. its def in between a big muff and an OD pedal. its a very gritty OD, but not as much as the big muff. itll be good for hendrix and company, but if u want slash tones, ull need a smoother overdrive like a tubescreamer. the lowest model tubescreamer is about $40 and is decent.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Fulltone's distortion is good. OCD is also good, but it isn't a distortion. It's an OD. XD. I aslo recommend the Ibanez jemini. I've heard it being played (in real life!), and i gotta tell you, it sounds great. Don't buy a DS-1. it'll look attractive because it's $40, but it's only a really expensive orange paperweight.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Fulltone's distortion is good. OCD is also good, but it isn't a distortion. It's an OD. XD. I aslo recommend the Ibanez jemini. I've heard it being played (in real life!), and i gotta tell you, it sounds great. Don't buy a DS-1. it'll look attractive because it's $40, but it's only a really expensive orange paperweight.

ur right about the ds-1, but if u look at the guys he wants to play, distortion isnt the way to go. the ocd is technically an OD pedal, but its very gritty and slightly distortionish on its highest gain level.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
ur right about the ds-1, but if u look at the guys he wants to play, distortion isnt the way to go. the ocd is technically an OD pedal, but its very gritty and slightly distortionish on its highest gain level.

I'm looking for a distortion pedal though... I have a tubescreamer which I use for overdrive, and then I plan on getting a Big Muff for the crazy amount of fuzz, and I decided I'd need something in between, just in case.
Quote by apak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y

found this on youtube on the Ibanez Jemini, thought it was kinda humorous when Steve brings out one of his good friends

I really really want that pedal now... But it's like $200! I'll have to think about it, but the MI Audio Crunch Box is still my first choice.
EHX english muffn can do a mean slash. And if you crank up the gain even more itll give you a fuzzy, saggy, tube like dirt that should take care of your frusciante and jack white tones.

EDit: it also has a 3 knob tone stack to control bass, treble, and mids separately. That way you can really dial in the tone youre looking for, from jimmy page-like sag, to tight overdrive and even metal (scoop the mids a bit)
Last edited by rnelson at Jul 23, 2009,
Highly under rated on this forum...but...

AMP distortion...

Amazing quality and sound!
i got a Keeley mt-2 for when i have to play quiet............Let me tell ya it's a kick ass pedal. the 3rd postion is the tubey sounding setting you can get from ac/dc to G n R or on the first setting and play some Slayer. very quiet no hiss great pedal IMO!
Quote by khfan23
Amp distortion is great, but check this out, seems like it might suit your needs.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1265&CategoryID=11

OD to Fuzz sounds.

The HipKitty Java Distortion I really like... Never heard of it before. I think I like this one the best now.

EDIT: Where can you even get one, though? I've looked on musiciansfriend.com, zzounds.com, and on guitar center's website and none of them have it.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I found that you can order it from pgs.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Silenced7
Highly under rated on this forum...but...

AMP distortion...

Amazing quality and sound!

The amp I'm going to be getting very soon is in my sig, the Blackheart Little Giant 5W half-stack. It's a single channel amp and the only way to get the distortion from the amp is to turn it up to like, at least 8 which is really loud on this amp, and if I do that, my parents will kick me out of the house.
I just watched a video on youtube for the Pigtronix Polysaturator Distortion... Has anyone had any experience with this? It sounds like a really versatile pedal.