So, i've got some issue with economy picking, and reached a point where i cannot really decide if i continue with economy picking (wich i feel better for lead playing), and alternate picking wich seems better for rythme.

But my biggest probleme are fast string skipping in rythm playing, like here above, 'Stabwound' by Necrophagist wich bursts with 8th note at 240bpm:

So this one i play like that (Stabwound intro riff by Necrophagist), in red is where i 'economy pick'. (Feels awkward to upstroke the '11' and '12' btw)

|---------------------------|----------------------------|
|---------------------------|--9--------11--------12-----|
|--9-p-6--9--6--9--6--9--6--|-----7--7------7--7------7--|
   ^   v  ^  v  ^  v  ^  v     ^  v  [B][color="Red"]^  ^[/COLOR][/B]   V  [B][color="Red"]^  ^[/COLOR][/B]   V

So my question, am I the only one who plays it that way ? Will i ever reach the 240bpm ? Will it be easier when i go strict alternate picking ?
How are you with alternate picking? If you haven't really practised it that much, it can feel a little awkward at higher tempos. For something like this, I'd recommend alternate picking; so slow it down, practise it and gradually build it up; paying attention to the 'down-up-down-up' motion, and be aware if you're unconsciously deviating from that pattern. If you're looking for some inspiration/instruction, look up some Paul Gilbert instructional vids. He gives some great advice when it comes to alternate picking, considering it's such a prominent part of his technique. And also, the main riff of Technical Difficulties by Racer X is a great alternate picking exercise; you'll see why when you play it.
|---------------------------------|----------------------------|
|---------------------------------|-9--------11--------12-----|
|--9-p-6--9--6--9--6--9--6--|-----7--7------7--7------7--|
v * ^ v ^ v ^ v v ^ v v ^ v v ^

Here's how I would play it

* if it's a pull of, you don't need to pick it again, but if not, start with an upstroke

EDIT: sorry about the arrows, not sure how you made it look good...
just use the arrows anyways, every new arrow is a new picked note.
Last edited by mashedpotatoes at Jul 22, 2009,
Arf yeah thx, didn't pay attention to the pull off ... i'll edit

@NackedInTheRain : Yeah it seems that most people would play strict alternate picking for those kind of things, i thing i'm gonna seriously practice my alternate picking ... thx for the tips !