so i bought a used amp, the marshall MG100DFX for like 150$, i played it for a week, and the overdrive started to go out, like it was on, but it sounded like the clean channel, so i turned it off, turned it back on, and it worked again.

so that made me nervous, so i brought it in to the local guitar center where i bought it, and the guy took it, turned it on, hooked it up and shredded out, so i was like "oh, well im dumb" and i took it home and it was good. for like 3 days, and the 4th day (yesterday) it stopped working, it could be turned on and off, but the clean channel was absolutely silent, and the overdrive channel you can hear the fuzz, but when i strum my guitar it sounds very muffled, and clean.

so i took the back off and then i felt dumb cause i forgot it was just the cabinet for the speaker, so now i am out of options for the next few days until i can head to guitar center on friday. what can i do to make it work again????

oh, i forgot to mention, the guy at guitar center said it was because of my cord, so i bought a new one and it still doesn't work >_<
could it be my guitar???
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Last edited by therosa69 at Jul 22, 2009,
It's possible that your input jack has a broken wire. So yes it could be your guitar.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Could be a couple of things.

Insert jack on your guitar.
Insert jack on amp.
Circuitry in the amp that didn't manifest at GC.
Grounding on either guitar or amp.
Zakk Wylde voodo doll inside the amp
Seriously...other stuff too.

Maybe it is the power at your house.

Have you tried a different outlet?
Have you tried a different guitar in your amp?
Have you tried your guitar in a different amp?
What did you have before?
Are you using pedals in this set up?
Other stuff?

inB4 flamers
ive played it in two different houses, and the guy played another guitar on it and it was amazing, i kinda wanna go towards the voodoo doll, cause then i would be happy, and i used to play on a little fender frontman and no pedals
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
MGs seem to have a big problem with breaking, and since its SS fixing is probably gonna be expensive. Take it in to a local amp tech who knows what hes doing, most of the little GC kiddies won't help at all.

But first check the wiring of your guitar, if it has a fender strat style pickguard then unscrew or whatever and make sure all the wires inside are connected right. It it has a plate in the back unscrew that and look inside there.
then either it's your guitar or you are troll. Just an observation.

I had a frontman AND pedals so...

Edit: A $150 down the drain when you already asked for help is not smart in my book. I wouldn't take it back to GC for the life of me. Please. If it's not something simple like an insert jack or wiring then I doubt it will be worth it to fix. But since you think it sounds amazing through a different guitar then ...Bingo

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1070540

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
be thankful - the MG sucks - I'd be glad if mine broke!

nuhuh breakage ruins resale, plus they are OK for practicing... I hate the cleans though....HATE
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
be thankful - the MG sucks - I'd be glad if mine broke!

Why? you can't sell it to a ZOMG MarCHalLZ ROcKz!!! kid after that.
Well it could be your guitar, simple thing is to try a friends. Cables go bad try a different one. The symptoms you describe where it works a few days then quits then works again points to an internal problem. Your best bet if its at all possible is to take it back and get your money back. MGs arent known for their long term reliability when new so used is not a good investment. Its what many do when their MG acts up but still works, they sell em or trade em before they become door stops.
/inb4drunkrednecksellout maybe a bad cable?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
do you happen to live on long island? Someone brought in an MG head into my local guitar shop a few days back
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by kurtebirdi
nuhuh breakage ruins resale, plus they are OK for practicing... I hate the cleans though....HATE

What resale?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Sguit
Why? you can't sell it to a ZOMG MarCHalLZ ROcKz!!! kid after that.

that resale