My buddy has an Epiphone acoustic and he tells me the wood has gotten brittle, I know there is a way to fix it or at least improve it. I just can't remember how. Do you know of any ways to improve the health of the guitar?
"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"-John Bunyan
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Brittle? I've never heard of a guitar doing that.

Maybe it's dried out. I'm not too keen on my humidity knowledge. Get a humidifier and put it in a room with that guitar in it for a few minutes?

Something tells me that's a bad idea

That does sound similar. I will tell him to try that.
Quote by Cyco_Mike
That does sound similar. I will tell him to try that.

If you don't have enough time to buy a humidifier you can always take a hot shower and let the humidity from the bathroom humidify your guitar. Usually that does the job for me, but then again it really depends on the climate for your area. For my area it's enough.
Yeah, I've never heard of brittle wood, but it does sound like its dry. Ask him why he thinks its brittle...if we have more information on the symptoms we can give a better diagnosis. But yeah, buy a humidifier and in the meantime you can do the shower thing.

Obviously, don't take the guitar IN the shower, just in the same room as the steam.

Get back to us on why he thinks the wood is brittle.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Quote by ReChord
Yeah, I've never heard of brittle wood, but it does sound like its dry. Ask him why he thinks its brittle...if we have more information on the symptoms we can give a better diagnosis. But yeah, buy a humidifier and in the meantime you can do the shower thing.

Obviously, don't take the guitar IN the shower, just in the same room as the steam.

Get back to us on why he thinks the wood is brittle.

Yeah. It might be even too much if you put it in the bathroom itself. Just open the bathroom door and let the steam seep into the next room to humidify your guitar.
Yeah. I'm not sure you want it in the bathroom with the steam. I'm pretty certain that it could cause water damage. It's why drywall is painted with a certain sort of paint so that they don't get water damage.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
If your guitar is dry, putting it in a steam bath won't speed up rehumidification -- it is a good way to cause warping and mold though. If you don't have a humidifier, put a wet paper towel in an open ziplock bag and put it in the case with the guitar. Patience is a good thing here.....
Yeah, I asked him the wood is dry. He also told me that when he tried to tune it the wood started cracking near the neck...that's why he thought it was brittle. So if he can somehow steam it, but at a slow rate it might help the guitar.
Quote by Cyco_Mike
Yeah, I asked him the wood is dry. He also told me that when he tried to tune it the wood started cracking near the neck...that's why he thought it was brittle. So if he can somehow steam it, but at a slow rate it might help the guitar.

He should really consider getting a real humidifier. Anyway, just don't over steam it obviously if you're going to try my shower idea. My room is right next to my bathroom so I just shower with the door closed. When I'm done showering I just open the bathroom door and let the left over steam humidify my guitar. I've been doing this for a while and my guitar's fine. Again, don't actually put the guitar in your bathroom when you're showering. That's overkill.
guitars don't generally get brittle or crack. his guitar is probably horribly dry.

tell him to get a hygrometer and the guitar should be kept at 40% to 50% humidity i've been told. anything under 40% can cause issues and people in dry places can have 10% humidity or less, which will destroy wooden instruments. also if he's had his guitar in a hot car or attic, the same problems or others can happen.

there's a cheap hygrometer with thermometer at walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671021 that some people i know went for and use, although i went for this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007W1EA6/ref=ox_ya_oh_product due to higher ratings, and find it very accurate.

Quote by Cyco_Mike