I know you get tons of these, apologize in advance, but my case is slightly different than "which one sounds best?"

I play thrash and death metal. Don't even worry about cleans, I don't give a damn about them.
I'm not able to play very loud in my home, I have to play through headphones pretty much all the time.

So I'm looking at some 5 watt tube heads, but can I plug headphones directly into them, or would they get too loud? If it's safe, can I have some 5w recommendations for my genres? I've also looked into the PODx3, I'm not able to try one out, but I thought maybe the POD would be good in my case as well. I don't know how the POD would stack up to the 5w amps.

I've looked into the Blackstar HT-5, but I'm looking for a few more options if possible.
Agile Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Maple fretboard
Agile Hornet 7 w/ custom steel pickguard
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier w/ 2x12 G12T-75 cab
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Are going to have headphones in at all times? Like, not even using the speaker? If so, get the POD X3, you can do so much with it. You know what, the X3 would be better for you.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
I'm not sure as if there are any 5 watters that'll do death metal... maybe a blackstar with some really distorted fuzz or something
Yeah, I will be using headphones at all times. My guitar has active pickups, is this going be similar to plugging into a solid state? I use one now, but I'd just prefer that tube sound.
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
the pod x3 or if its cheaper in your area like it is in mine the Boss GT-10 has a dedicated headphone out.... and honestly the sound awesome

edit: if you are looking for tube sound check out the zoom G9 something some thing or the vox multi effects thingy, both have tube preamps built in so they would sound tubish, but any of those multi effects can emulate tube distortion
~Defiant~
Last edited by Aurex at Jul 22, 2009,
Yeah, definetley go with the X3. Don't worry about tube sound. The X3 ****in rocks. Its a whole LEAGUE ahead of your Cube
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
id go with the pod x3. it has the built in effects and all of that fun stuff that you cant get on a 5w head
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Most tube amps that I can think of that are 5 watts wouldnt be all that great for metal, much too spongy bottom end. Also most dont have a headphone out and trying to plug into the amps outs with headphones will end very badly for the amp and possibly you as well. The HT-5 seems like the only reasonable solution or like the other guy said a modeler or such. Have you looked into amp modeling software, you could do your headphone thing and even record if you want.
You should just look for an amp that has a headphone output on the back. If you have the money don't just look for a tiny amp that you can only use your headphones on. Look at some full size amps because you can find some that have the emulated line out for headphones which will enable you to get the full tone you are looking for and do some loud playing if desired.
I read that plugging headphones into large amps could damage them, that's why I was looking into 5w's and the POD. Otherwise I would get a B-52

:Edit: Can you plug the x3 into a cab? I occasionally go over to a friends house to play, but he got rid of his head, but still has cabs.
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Last edited by Everblack at Jul 22, 2009,
If there is a Headphone jack it can't **** up the amp... Maybe the headphones if you have it cranked
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz