Page 1 of 3
So I was dropping some trades off @ GC today, and they had this old amp kicking around. Priced at 49.99. Because it had microphonic tubes, and the tech didn't want to deal with it, I guess. This thing is FANTASTIC, and the backstory behind the company is really neat too. Very unique, has what appears to be a 1x15 and 2x8 inside. More pics as I tear it apart to get at the tubes, Gotta drop the 1x15 to get at the rear tubes, it looks like.

Best 50.00 ever.

The Front

It has a Tape Recorder Out control knob.. but where is the output jack? Is that it on the left side?? It says Stereophonic Input so I assume that isn't it. There is no output jack anywhere.. hmm..
Also, this is my first amp that has a Standby AND Power. How do you work that? Is it power on - standby on or standby on - power on? Do you have to turn one off before the other?
yes and ure pics rnt workin fo me
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Looks sweet, record some clips of that bitch when you changed the tubes
HNOAD
well if its like a normal tube amp, you put the power on, let it warm up for a minute or so, then put the standby on to play. whem turning off, take standby off, let it sit for a little bit, then turn off. thats how i do mine.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Looks pretty cool. Learn to operate a camera though man, blurry as hell.
Interesting indeed... and Vintage!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sorry about the camera pics. My camera got all ****ed somehow, and I can't find my SLR. Operating a camera is not the problem - I have PLENTY of experience doing that. I just can't get them to come out clear - even on the tripod.
Quote by gregs1020
what type and quantity of tubes does it run?

Opening it up as soon as I get a chance, there's a lot of em in there :P

The other piece of gear i got today. Hardwire Tube Overdrive.
I have to try one of those some day, everyone says Hardwires are awesome
HNPD
I got it open, and holy ****.

First I found the tape recorder out, it is on the right SIDE of the amp there, you can see the wires breaking off towards it.

Second, there are tubes in THREE different places, up top, and two places on the bottom. I don't even know what they all do, or what they all are. On the left side, are those silver canisters tube-covers, or are they something else?

Gotta get a pen and paper so I can pull tubes and try and remember where they all go.

Quote by w0lf19
I got it open, and holy ****.

First I found the tape recorder out, it is on the right SIDE of the amp there, you can see the wires breaking off towards it.

Second, there are tubes in THREE different places, up top, and two places on the bottom. I don't even know what they all do, or what they all are. On the left side, are those silver canisters tube-covers, or are they something else?

Gotta get a pen and paper so I can pull tubes and try and remember where they all go.

wo, this made me
There are t00bz everywere!
I would show that a tech, because you obviously don't have much knowledge about tube amps, maybe he could help you, because this is very confusing.
Whoa, crazy tube action. Congrats on the purchase, but I can definetly see why the tech didn't want to bother with it. Those big metal covers are covering capacitors.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Holy hell, that's the most intense inside of an amp I've ever seen
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
on the bottom left, there are TWO more tubes you can't see behind the little black ones. **** i also know enough about amps to not get myself totally killed in there Just.. wow
Holy ****, probably sounds orgasmic, but take it to a tech.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
some of the tubes are loose/wobbly in their sockets. I am going to pull them out and tighten some screws and see where that will get me. Then Ill plug er up and try the pencil trick to find the microphonic ones
So, I plugged it in and powered it on, with the standby in the OFF position. Most of the tubes started to glow almost immediately, but a few of them didn't noticably glow. Maybe it needed to run a little longer - however it started to buzz/hum through the speakers with no guitar connected. Any ideas?
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i'm guessing the bottom right tubes are for the reverb....

tube-driven reverb built into a combo?!

Looks like it..
awesome find! i wish i could come across a vintage tube amp for cheap.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by w0lf19
So, I plugged it in and powered it on, with the standby in the OFF position. Most of the tubes started to glow almost immediately, but a few of them didn't noticably glow. Maybe it needed to run a little longer - however it started to buzz/hum through the speakers with no guitar connected. Any ideas?

Tubes don't necessarily have to glow in order to be working. Infact, it's better for them not to glow than glow wrongly (redplating, etc...). Preamp tubes don't glow very much either. As for the hum, I am guessing if it is really old, the capacitors could be causing it as well as the tubes' age.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Nice, and for $50? HNAD!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
I ripped it open again and started pulling tubes. I Identified all but TWO of them, the two identical BIG ones on the lower left side in the earlier pic of the amp. The writing is worn off of both of them!

Heres pics of one of them :

You can make out what looks like "A7 or CA7 or C47" at the end of where the tube numbers would be, but the rest of it is basically illegible or gone. They have 8 pins.

Looks like for the lower left side of that amp the tubes (back to front) are:

6SN7 6J5GT
6J5GT 6J5GT
G234/5AR4 (?) (?)

The four tubes facing away from you at the top of the amp are all 6SN7

Haven't pulled the ones near the reverb yet. They didn't make funny noises during the eraser test, so I assume they are fine. The hum of the amp seems to even out to the standard old tube amp hum after the standby is switched ON. Plays good at low volume, but turning it up causes it to go microphonic.

Love to figure out what the two big tubes are.

Anything that can be substituted in place of any of the above? ^^^
Last edited by w0lf19 at Jul 23, 2009,
Could they be EL34/6CA7?

Edit : I found a schematic that looks exactly like this amp minus the tube reverb.
Two EL34 in the PT section, an EL84, 12AU7s, and 12AX7s.
Yes they apear to be 6ca7, or EL34's. I would not change any more tube than you have, Old Stock tubes sound so much better than current production tubes, JJ/tesla is making some head way to the old quailty, but nearly EVERY old stock tubes sounds amazing. The amp needs a cap job, that could be part of the problem, your microphonic issues has to be a preamp tube some where. Nice find, I never seen an amp like that one before, the trany, speakers and tubes are worth more than the 50 bucks you paid, good luck on the restoration.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Thats some nice shedazzle you got there.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
That looks really ****ed up. Good luck with that!

(still, really good value though)
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
That looks really ****ed up. Good luck with that!

(still, really good value though)

It doesn't look all too f'd up to me. Sounds real nice until you get the volume up, anyhow. Gotta find my bad tubes and replacem, am assuming its one of little ones in the back, they crackled a little when I tapped em w/ the eraser.

Id love to take it to a tech but just don't have that kinda dough at the moment, I know it'll probably run me well over 200 bucks to have looked at and set right so I am gonna do it myself.
One of the most interesting NADs I've seen for sure.

Looks like a lot of fun and you got your $50 worth just posting your pics here even if it never works

As mentioned, I'd take it to a tech to get some of the capacitors replaced and give it a nice once over.

HNOAD
Quote by flanders_91
well if its like a normal tube amp, you put the power on, let it warm up for a minute or so, then put the standby on to play. whem turning off, take standby off, let it sit for a little bit, then turn off. thats how i do mine.

Isn't that backwards? I think it's supposed to be:
Standby on > tubes warm up > power on > play.
Quote by Led Dirigible
Isn't that backwards? I think it's supposed to be:
Standby on > tubes warm up > power on > play.

No... The on/off for standby is debatable because some amps have standby off when there is no sound, and some have it on when there is no sound. Either way you must 'power' up the amp first. Hence the power button.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Nope... Power it up, then flip the switch to take it from standby to play mode.

EDIT: Twas beat to the nut-tap.
Quote by tubetime86
No... The on/off for standby is debatable because some amps have standby off when there is no sound, and some have it on when there is no sound. Either way you must 'power' up the amp first. Hence the power button.

Thanks for educating a t00b n00b such as myself
wow that looks like it would sound awesome. send it to me and i'll fix it ha.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Page 1 of 3