Poll: What picking method do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: What picking method do you prefer?
Straight Downstrokes
28 30%
Alternate Picking
67 73%
"Economy" Picking
42 46%
Sweep Picking
29 32%
Voters: 92.
I am kinda interested in seeing how many people do what.

I put

Straight Downstrokes

Alternate Picking (Strictly Down-Up)

Economy Picking (Somewhere in the middle between straight down and alt., a better explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_picking

Sweep Picking
Last edited by lemon_lime123 at Jul 22, 2009,
wat?

It depends on what i'm playing.

Fast rif***e- alt picking

palm muted power chords- Straight downstrokes

sweeps for.... sweeping?

and i don't know what economy picking is... (i should learn)
EDIT: ooooohhhhk.... (reads wikipedia economy picking description) i do that...
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Jul 22, 2009,
i think the only kind of picking a solo guitarist can get away with not knowing really well is economy picking. for all the others, there's always a time where you will need it. and sometimes economy picking will be the best thing to do, too.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I'd say mostly economy, but it really depends on what I'm playing (which I'm sure is the case for most of us).
Quote by sw1ss023
wat?

sweeps for.... sweeping?

Just like this guy said, it depends on what I'm playing. Sometimes for regular riffs it's better to use alternate picking, and sometimes it's better to use economy. For sweep picking riffs, obviously it's best to use sweep picking, and for those 16th-note power-chord-type riffs, pure downstrokes sound best.

Off topic: I like how it censored "f a g" in the middle of "riff-age."
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 22, 2009,
i usually always use alternative. there are only a few riffs which i play that need economy picking, and of course i practice sweeping about one hour a day
Quote by food1010

Off topic: I like how it censored "f a g" in the middle of "riff-age."

What was your epic searchbar joke your sig alludes to?
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
All because they're all necessary to be great. Usually alt picking if I want a more staccato or "boxy" (Idk that's my interpretation of it) sound, economy if I want a liquidy sound.

I ususally stick to economy though
I dont how someone can 'prefer' sweeping over alternate or economy since it's more of a technique because of the left hand techniques required than just a picking method.
Never understood the reasons for really prefering different picking types other than alternate/economy over downpicking or vice versa due to the tonal difference. They each have uses.

EDIT:This post makes more sense in my head
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Jul 22, 2009,
At this point I'm completely unable to do anything but strait downpicking. It's just too bloody awkward.
They are all useful in different situations, but I generally alt pick. I don't sweep at all because - well, I can't yet. Haven't even tried. One day
when I play fast things I use alternate picking
...I also love straight up picking
Control your destiny.
When playing ascending licks I economy pick and when play descending I play alternating. If its a fast riff I economy pick mostly. Actually, I do both an awful lot
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

When I'm playing riffs and melodies at mid-tempo, I use straight down strokes. For fast playing I use alternate picking. I us sweep picking for arpeggios, and I rarely use economy picking. I only use it between 2 strings.
I crossed every box, because it makes sense to do each in different situations.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
I crossed every box, because it makes sense to do each in different situations.

This.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I mainly use alternate picking but obviously use sweep picking for sweeps.
Only other time I deviate from my strict alternate picking is when doing a rhythm e.g. Down, Down-up-down, Down, Down-up-down, Down, Down.
all of them...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Down picking for certain metal rhythms and for accentuate a note.

Alternate picking for tremolo picking and for riffs/licks in the same string.

Sweep picking for,well..., sweeps.

And sort of a self developed based on economy picking (same crap as economy, only I take some "shortcuts") for everything else.

I would like to upgrade my finger picking and to learn Hybrid picking in the near future.

Simple.
Quote by sw1ss023
wat?

sweeps for.... sweeping?

EDIT: ooooohhhhk.... (reads wikipedia economy picking description) i do that...

exactly. except i think i am economy picking most of the time.
mostly alternate, but I do fast down picks if it's easier to play a song that way. like 8-8-8-8-888-8-8-8. Then it's gotta be all down and then alternate in the 888 part.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by ApeWeevil
I dont how someone can 'prefer' sweeping over alternate or economy since it's more of a technique because of the left hand techniques required than just a picking method.
Never understood the reasons for really prefering different picking types other than alternate/economy over downpicking or vice versa due to the tonal difference. They each have uses.

EDIT:This post makes more sense in my head

i guess you could say that certain people's respective styles may necessitate a certain technique more so than the others which some may interpret as that artist "preferring" a particular technique.

also, some techniques come easier to some people than others and they may just prefer to play things that utilize said techniques for this reason as well.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Riffs = Pure downpicking man. Hetfieeeelddd \m/
Licks/scales = i try to do alternate only, but I unconsciously do economy picking.
solos = Mostly alternate. sometimes legato or economy.
Another unoriginal prog head.
Quote by Zvahl
Economy picking is sweep picking to an extent.

But would you still consider it a sweep if it only goes between 2 strings?