I just bought a MIM strat at a pawn shop, and expected to have problems. Problem is, i have no clue how to fix this particular problem.

when i plug into an amp clean, it's perfectly fine. If i put any kind of distortion on it, it rings to high heaven.

Help! What could be wrong with my guitar? i'm assuming the pickups/wiring are messed up SOMEWHERE, but i have no idea what it could be or what is going wrong.

Thanks for any and all help.
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
what do you mean ring?
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
bad grounding and single coils. look up shielding and grounding its easy enough. other than that get new pickups or you have to deal with the 60 cycle hum
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Is it like a high pitch squealing? Can you get it to go away by turning the guitar down or turning the amp down?

Preliminary guess, it might be a microphonic pickup. I had one once it they screech like freakin hyenas, especially with distortion.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
basically what you said kevin, it's a high pitch squealing that goes away by turning the guitar down.

what does having a microphonic pickup mean? do i have to replace the set or just that one specific pickup?

thanks all. i will post pictures of my wiring and pickups tomorrow.

follow my twitter here
Smashing Pumpkins Billy Corgan had a guitar that acted in a similar way. He recorded the song Mayonaise with it. The guitar squeals several times in the song. Classic.
this is more painfully annoying and obnoxious.

follow my twitter here
If you got it from a pawn shop before it was traded inthe PUPS may have been changed into cheap ones,or the wireing is screwed.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by blues_
basically what you said kevin, it's a high pitch squealing that goes away by turning the guitar down.

what does having a microphonic pickup mean? do i have to replace the set or just that one specific pickup?

thanks all. i will post pictures of my wiring and pickups tomorrow.

Is it just one pup that does it? Are you using a lot of gain or playing very loudly? Are you using single coils or humbuckers?
it is any pickup. i can play with a little gain, or lots, it doesn't matter. it still rings. the ring is controlled by the volume though. if i turn it up to a certain point, it won't ring till i pass a certain volume. the ring i can make quieter by turning down.

i can also use any variation to attain a certain volume, too. i can turn down on my pedals, turn the guitar down, or turn down the amp. either way, the volume seems to be the dictating factor.

they are single coils.

whenever i play clean, the pickups don't sound cheap. they sound like a normal MIM strat.

follow my twitter here
Last edited by blues_ at Jul 23, 2009,
What amp are you using? If it's a tube amp it might be a microphonic tube. Seeing as it's all your pups it won't be a microphonic pup, the odds against are astronomical.
the thing is, i've played directly through a PA system and it still was like that. and through my amp obviously, which is an Orange crush 30r.

i will post a picture of the wiring when i get home.

follow my twitter here
Quote by blues_
this is more painfully annoying and obnoxious.

So is his... He bought the guitar for 65 bucks and everytime he stopped playing it would make that sound. Use it to your advantage unless its the only guitar you have, then I would fix it lol.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
So is his... He bought the guitar for 65 bucks and everytime he stopped playing it would make that sound. Use it to your advantage unless its the only guitar you have, then I would fix it lol.

it's certainly not the only guitar i own. on a note, i just realized i haven't updated my sig. in forever.

anyways, i plan on fixing it.

follow my twitter here
Quote by blues_
it's certainly not the only guitar i own. on a note, i just realized i haven't updated my sig. in forever.

anyways, i plan on fixing it.

Well, unless you desperately think you should fix it, I don't think you should... I know I certainly wouldn't, who knows what kind of cool noises you can make with it
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Well, unless you desperately think you should fix it, I don't think you should... I know I certainly wouldn't, who knows what kind of cool noises you can make with it

I'm sorry man, but you are dumb. Every time I see you post it's something completely irrelevant and usually quite idiotic. The guy is asking how to fix it, not what you'd do with the guitar.

Does it do it with no pedals? Maybe you have a bad pedals that's screeching or something? Well, you did say that's the only guitar, do any of your other guitars have single coils? You might have a bad ground or something in the guitar, maybe check to see both the wires are soldered properly to the jack.
thanks so much for helping with this kevin.

i will have to check when i get home, seeing as i am at work right now.

thanks again all, irrelevant or not.

follow my twitter here
No problem, sorry for startin crap in your thread, ever since that guy joined I see him posting non sense all over the place, he bumped a 2 yr old thread the other day to chime in on some mundane detail
Quote by Kevin Saale
No problem, sorry for startin crap in your thread, ever since that guy joined I see him posting non sense all over the place, he bumped a 2 yr old thread the other day to chime in on some mundane detail

I never bumped a 2 year old thread...
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I never bumped a 2 year old thread...

My bad, it was the post above yours, either way, you're really annoying.
Quote by Kevin Saale
My bad, it was the post above yours, either way, you're really annoying.

Eh, fair enough.

I'm just in GG&A cuz I don't know **** about anything except some types of amps and a few pedals, so I'm here to learn
^Fair enough, but learn, don't spout non sense.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Eh, fair enough.

I'm just in GG&A cuz I don't know **** about anything except some types of amps and a few pedals, so I'm here to learn

Amen.

There's so much knowledge just waiting to be read. i am always impressed with some people's knowledge (i.e. Kevin).

Work is slow, and my guitar is waiting to be fixed and played. leaving a tad bit early, anyone?

follow my twitter here
doitnao. First thing I'd check is your output jack, I loose wires are common there. Plus, it's much easier to get to than under the pickguard.
i've checked the input jack, and there was a wire loose.

i'm not sure what all that means though?

i am not gonna lie, i checked that when i first got it, and eager to play i just duct taped it the loose wire to where i thought it was supposed to go. i realize this is extremely unprofessional, but it did solve that issue.

before, when that wire was loose, it wouldn't even play. after i *cringe* taped the wire to it's proper place, i was able to get a signal from my guitar.

follow my twitter here
That could be your problem, solder it on there properly and see if that doesn't sort you. If you can't or don't want to solder (I suggest you do, it's very easy and opens worlds of possibilities) take it to a tech, they could probably do it on the spot for next to nothing.