im so lost when it comes to what should go where and what i should get and blah blah.

ive been looking at all different pickups. im looking to buy the zakk wylde marshall microstack, and figured along with that i'd grab new pickups. i have an ESP f100fm.

so im thinking EMG 81s and 60s. but i have no idea what should go where. ive heard about james hetfield using this setup but i still dont really know what goes where i just know he used it. like. was his 81 in the neck and 60 in the bridge?

if anybody can help me out, or clear things up for me, thatd be amazing. im looking for a nice metal sound. something i can really thrash around with but still be able to progress into other sounds. variety i guess but with a solid metal sound.

and i used the search feature, i promise.
You don't need new pups, you just have money in your pocket that you want to spend.
Get a good amp, not the crap that Zakk Wylde endorses. Then get a guitar that would get justice with some new pups.
Ghold's right, an amp is more important than pickups in most cases.

However, I don't know how good the amp you mentioned getting is, so instead of pickups, try a different guitar.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
i actually have no money and im trying to plan ahead, lol. but thank you.

ive heard good about the microstack. so. idk. i guess i gotta hit a sam ash or something.
Quote by Ass_Goblin

ive heard good about the microstack. so. idk. i guess i gotta hit a sam ash or something.

I'm guessing you read the reviews on the Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/Sam Ash website? Never trust those reviews. If i want a good review i usually look at Harmony Central.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I'm guessing you read the reviews on the Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/Sam Ash website? Never trust those reviews. If i want a good review i usually look at Harmony Central.

Even then, I'd hesitate to trust a review.

But yes, for god's sake, don't buy that microstack. Unlike many of the commonly bashed amps here, I can't think of any appropriate function for it.
81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck. The 60 is pretty much exclusively for cleans i think. But yea i dont think youll be able to much else other than metal with that setup.
Quote by BrianKL
81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck. The 60 is pretty much exclusively for cleans i think. But yea i dont think youll be able to much else other than metal with that setup.

Depends on what amp you have and also how you like your tone. Anyway like stated before it's better if you save up for a new amp.
Quote by Flying Couch
Even then, I'd hesitate to trust a review.

But yes, for god's sake, don't buy that microstack. Unlike many of the commonly bashed amps here, I can't think of any appropriate function for it.

no ive talked to experienced players that i know. some of them are teachers in my school. a few of them said it was pretty good. but thank you for your input. you guys probably saved me money. lol.

also youtube videos are my only real way of soundtesting. lol. i rarely go to a shop.
I rarely trust youtube sound clips since it depends on different factors to get the final sound so yeah it's worth it to go and check some amps at guitar shops.