Page 1 of 2
It seems that everyone hates them, are they really horrible? I was wondering because I'm looking at the 30 watt model as well as the Vypyr 30. Also How is the Roland Cube 20X

I play Thrash/Metalcore with a HH modded Squier Strat.

Thanks!
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Jul 22, 2009,
do you gig??
i would go with the Vypyr,Cube30x or the VT30 instead of the Spider
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^this, and i think the vypyr is your best bet based on those genres
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
do you gig??

Nope and probably the closet thing to a gig I'll ever do as a guitarist is play with friends in a garage since I'd rather be a vocalist.
i have a spider and its ok its just ****ty at high volumes. clean channel sucks
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

Quote by xItsGilbertYox
i have a spider and its ok its just ****ty at high volumes. clean channel sucks

Darn, I need a good clean channel.
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Jul 22, 2009,
My guitar teacher uses one for out clases and it's okay doing some things, but other things just make it suck. At higher volumes it gets much worse too.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
yeah dude, the Spyders are not great. My friend has a Spyder and then a very nice Fender Custom Shop strat. You can't even tell that he's playing a Fender, because all guitars will sound the same through the amp. You might wanna end up just trying out a Vox Modeling amp. I've borrowed one a couple times for gigs, and you can get tons of different tones out of 'em and they sound pretty decent.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I made the mistake of buying a 75-Watt Line 6 Spider III as my first "real" amp when I was 13. I couldn't tell then, but my tone was just uber suck. Now as my ear has developed, it bothers the **** out of me how bad that thing sounds. If you're playing one in the store, your not going to notice too much about how bad the tone is, but once you bring it home or jam with somebody, you can tell...

I will say this, crank the bass and mid with medium treble and you have an OK distortion sound (I actually love the "Riggs Insane" setting). The cleans are terrible and 90% of the built in settings on the amp are worthless... I don't know what Line 6 were trying to do, but they failed miserably...

With that said, the Roland Cube amps are really awesome. I have played through a 30-Watt version and compared to my Spider, the Cube absolutely won. After I'm done upgrading my rigg (half stack, new guitar, pedalboard ) I'm buying a Cube to use as a practice amp. They rock. Good luck!
for the cash, there are better options. if you do need all the effects, get the cube or vt vox. played another defective vypyr today, new...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 22, 2009,
My friend has a Line 6 Spider 120W and it is one of the few amps I listened to which I like.
He plays alot of zakk wylde and ozzy osbourne and I have not heard anything which
could be rated as bad from this one. The metal sound from this one is inredible!

Maybe you have much more experiene with different amps, but when it comes to metal, which amp is better?
And most importantly, _how_ is the sound better? Cleaner distortion?
imo line 6 spiders or w.e have no tone enough
rolands are not bad but i couldnt get the micro cube..its not that great
27mMoV31II7.a2
Well I dont know, I compare with my old 10W Washburn amp which suck big time. And this Line 6 he has is really great, everything metal sounds awesome
The spiderIII is fine for practice or what ever. the clean channel is fine and the dist. is decent put it in a better perspective do you think micheal jordan was good because of the shoes he wore? no alot of the time its not the gear is the person playing it that sounds like garbage, or they dont know how to find a good tone
Dont s**t in my mouth!!!!!
^ But there are other options for the same price that are way better.

I say vox first.
Then vypyr
I got a Roland Cube 30x. I got a good deal on Ebay. It's ok. I'm not going to sit here and write love poems about a SS amp. I mean come on. Let's be honest. But for me it's a great absolutely great practice amp. In my house I have to play at low volumes some times so the power squeezer and the head phone features are things I can't do without.

I wanted to get a Vypyr. I really did. But too many people were reporting too many serious problems with it. I didn't want the headaches.
Personally I found after some messing around there are some nice tones to be had, especially a good thrash tone on the insane channel and a lovely lead tone with the Crunch channel and the built-in DS boost, with some delay. However, tone is subjective, and a lot of people who bash Spider's never actually tweaked it around, they just play the presets and decalre it rubbish.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
Personally I found after some messing around there are some nice tones to be had, especially a good thrash tone on the insane channel and a lovely lead tone with the Crunch channel and the built-in DS boost, with some delay. However, tone is subjective, and a lot of people who bash Spider's never actually tweaked it around, they just play the presets and decalre it rubbish.

Maybe so, but you can still get a lot better for the price.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
It's a **** amp. Very buggy, not reliable, sounds like garbage. Not to mention the controls are very counter intuitive.

Tried the vypyr, wasn't impressed, not easy to operate either.

If I had to chose a cheap practice amp I'd go with the vox, they're tolerable as far as practice amps go, though I don't if you'll get a great metal tone from one. The cubes aren't bad either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by bagpipemetal
The most important thing for me is good, tweakable distortion and good clean tones.

Then stay away from the Spider.

The Vypyr isn't much better, I found it to be pretty mediocre.

The Vox VT series are good amps, as are the Roland Cube series. I would easily pick those two over the Spider and Vypyr.

I think that there must be some connection between crap amps and animal names, at least in most amps under £1,000.
Quote by greggybhoy
Then stay away from the Spider.

The Vypyr isn't much better, I found it to be pretty mediocre.

The Vox VT series are good amps, as are the Roland Cube series. I would easily pick those two over the Spider and Vypyr.

I think that there must be some connection between crap amps and animal names, at least in most amps under £1,000.

Quote by guskarlw
My friend has a Line 6 Spider 120W and it is one of the few amps I listened to which I like.
He plays alot of zakk wylde and ozzy osbourne and I have not heard anything which
could be rated as bad from this one. The metal sound from this one is inredible!

Maybe you have much more experiene with different amps, but when it comes to metal, which amp is better?
And most importantly, _how_ is the sound better? Cleaner distortion?

I think a certai July '09er needs to wait for their ear to develop.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Go for a Cube. The Spider III really isn't a good amp, even for practice. The Vypyr isn't good either.
VanTheKraut : Well if my ear aint that good according to you, maybe I just should keep the Line 6 then cuz it wouldnt matter?

Can I find some webpage where you can listen to different amps and how they sound? More of a compilation of different brands and how they sound based on what music you play, and most importantly, quality of the tone etc based on price

It seems a lot of ppl have very different opinions on what is good/bad sound and so on
Last edited by guskarlw at Jul 29, 2009,
The Spider isn't a very good amp, but for the price it isn't horrible either. I used one for quite some times because it was the only thing I could find locally that I could afford. I was able to get the 30w version for just $100 almost brand new from a local shop, and it lasted me for a while. Even now I use it occasionally as a "monitor" when recording through my UX2.

However, if you have other options, I'd give them a try. Most people will suggest the Vypr, but that amp is just as bad, in my opinion.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by guskarlw
VanTheKraut : Well if my ear aint that good according to you, maybe I just should keep the Line 6 then cuz it wouldnt matter?

Can I find some webpage where you can listen to different amps and how they sound? More of a compilation of different brands and how they sound based on what music you play, and most importantly, quality of the tone etc based on price

It seems a lot of ppl have very different opinions on what is good/bad sound and so on

People do have very different opinions, especially in boutique amp preferences, and major brand preferences (Fender/Marshall.) The differences you are talking about, however, are pretty much between people who:

1. Own a Spider and have only played sh*tty practice amps
2. Have played pretty much anything else out there
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I play aloy of heavy music, the insane/metal effects on the Line 6 is something I use almost entirely. Which amp would be better for this type of music? I was thinking of approx 600-700 dollars at most
sweden on tour
Quote by guskarlw
I play aloy of heavy music, the insane/metal effects on the Line 6 is something I use almost entirely. Which amp would be better for this type of music? I was thinking of approx 600-700 dollars at most

New or used?

Also, it's not out until October, but look into this.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
The Spider has pretty bad cleans. The distortion sound extremely digital at times (most of the time) and when I turn mine above 5, higher notes (anything above the 7th fret on the B string) sounds like a little girl screaming in your ear. It feels like someone drove a needle through your eardrum and its just bleh, its horrible. It'd be okay if you use it as a practice amp and you get one of the lower wattage ones, but if you ever plan on cranking it or gigging with it, that would be a very very VERY bad idea.

I'd definitely suggest the Roland Cube. The Vypyrs sound alright, but they're too complicated for me.
Quote by guskarlw

Ignorance may be bliss, but being blissful doesn't change the fact your an idiot for being ignorant.

You should go to your local music store, or the one with the largest selection of amps and play the best amp they've got. The best amp in relation to what you play ofcourse. This will give you a "benchmark" in your mind for what good tone is. Next go looking at stuff you can afford; using your "benchmark" for comparison.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by guskarlw

Take a look around UG, man. There are some really knowledgeable people here, I'd listen to them. Also, probably 97% of UGers would disapprove of the Spider, just saying.
Quote by guskarlw

For that money you could get a really good tube amp. Maybe a B52 AT112 60W and use the rest for something else.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by guskarlw

Yes...

It's called netmusicians

www.netmusicians.org
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
The B-52 AT 112 seemed very good. I will visit my musicstore today and see if they have one or something similar.
I will definitely as well try a really expensive amp just to hear the difference
sweden on tour
Okay I tried some amps at the musicstore, I asked for a good 50-75W high gain combo and he tipped me of several amps, he also asked If I like the traditional tube sound playing loud or the digital ones from Line 6, Vox and Roland

I actually tried all of them, and to be honest, it is really hard evaluating all of them

The tube amps were great at high volumes, but when it came to taste, I really prefered the digital sound. I have decided for either the Vypyr or the Line 6. I even tried a 15W line 6 and it was ****ty compared to the 75W, I have money for the 150W, but if its no difference I be fine with 75
sweden on tour
Last edited by guskarlw at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The AT series is hard to find I find. Play thru a 6505 or 3120 too. Make sure there is a cab hooked up first

otherwise spiders can be a good practice amp for a week or so....

Yeah well I dont have so much room for even a half stack in my apartment so
sweden on tour
- Go to a store.
- Play the Spider III.
- Play the Vypyr.
- Do a facepalm for even thinking about buying a Spider.

So generally, Vypyr would be a better choice.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Page 1 of 2