I am going to be getting a Les Paul with my tax return money in January and I've just been looking around now at the different options. I have a couple questions about Les Pauls tho:

1) What is the difference (if any) in the old model LP's and the new chambered body LP's?

2) Should I go for a brand new model LP or look to pick up something vintage (probably depends on the answer to #1)

3) If I should go for a vintage one...is there a specific time period that I should look to pick one up from? Or a time period that I should stay away from?

My budget will probably be in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000 and I just want to get a great guitar. Hell even tho I've got my eye on a LP if there is another guitar in that price range that is even better I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance guys I appreciate the input.
Elitists and Hypocrites
From what I remember, 80's Gibsons were the greatest thing since slicedbread. Also, I would check craigs list. I've seen some great deals on there.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Id say get an 80s Gibson. 60s and 70s era Gibsons were great, but definitely out of your budget. Just know that an unchambered LP will probably be one of the beefiest guitars you will play, both in thickness and in weight. Id definitely try out the guitar you want before you buy it, but thats common sense IMO. Depending on what you play, an 80s Explorer might be a good alternative.
80's Gibsons sucked as far as I heard. 60's is the ball park is your buying old.

But anyways, I think they've been chambering the guitars for quite a few years now and there is no real noticeable difference. Just play a few and see.

But with your budget, have you considered going Japanese? You could get a great guitar for cheaper and save some money for whiskey and other important accessories.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
'50s-1960 Gibsons are great but definitely not even close to your price range. Unless you've forgotten to add a zero or two to the end of your budget (depending on the year and guitar)

'70s Gibsons are meh. They went into cost cutting mode that spurred on some pretty bad design changes

'80s Gibsons are pretty bad. But improved in the late '80s when they changed ownership. '90s Gibsons to early '00s Gibsons are solid, and current Gibsons are ok.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 23, 2009,
I you can get your hands on a '59.... like 40 years ago
Look into the Traditionals, they aren't chambered and are nice.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
They're still weight relieved with the swiss cheese holes which is really not any better.
Quote by qotsa1998
Id say get an 80s Gibson. 60s and 70s era Gibsons were great, but definitely out of your budget. Just know that an unchambered LP will probably be one of the beefiest guitars you will play, both in thickness and in weight. Id definitely try out the guitar you want before you buy it, but thats common sense IMO. Depending on what you play, an 80s Explorer might be a good alternative.

I have been looking at explorers as well...but those dont run anywhere near my budget range do they?

Quote by Kurapica
80's Gibsons sucked as far as I heard. 60's is the ball park is your buying old.

But anyways, I think they've been chambering the guitars for quite a few years now and there is no real noticeable difference. Just play a few and see.

But with your budget, have you considered going Japanese? You could get a great guitar for cheaper and save some money for whiskey and other important accessories.

What would you suggest in the way of japanese? And yeah if I could get something for like $1000-$1500 then I might try and see if I could pick up an awesome amp as well.
Elitists and Hypocrites
if you're buying new, for $3000, I would look at the guitar center 1960 plaintop reissue (the G0).

otherwise, on forums like the lpf and tgp, people sell their used historics in the range of what you're looking to spend as well. often times with upgrade electronics and pickups.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 23, 2009,
So heres a question for everyone. Say I keep my budget at $2500...what should I go for?

1) Used 90's Lp
2) New Custom Shop LP
3) Used PRS something or other
4) Another option?

Mainly I play blues/rock/hard rock/metal type stuff if that helps.
Elitists and Hypocrites
i'd go with something not chambered, like the lp traditional or one of those VOS reissues from the 50s. they sound way better to me than that chambered stuff, but to each his own
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by Kurapica

Quotes like that that put america in a recession. then again, the gov didn't help us out either.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
I just was looking through the PRS thread...and yeah. Definite sex.

Its gonna be a bit more than my price range but I think I need to do get one. They all look freakin awesome and I know they sound great. Thanks for the advice tho folks
Elitists and Hypocrites
^I don't know how much they cost, probably more, but there are those PRS Private Stock... A member here had one, and it was the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen, I'll look up his thread

Edit: Actually, there are two:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Last edited by Woozye at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by CSUTremonti777
I have been looking at explorers as well...but those dont run anywhere near my budget range do they?

What would you suggest in the way of japanese? And yeah if I could get something for like $1000-$1500 then I might try and see if I could pick up an awesome amp as well.

The usual place to look for a nice Japanese Les Paul are Tokai, Edwards and Burny. I'm particularly partial to a nice Japanese Tokai Love Rock. They are amazing. Everyone that I've tried has been a gift from guitar heaven.

Quote by grayfox1001
Quotes like that that put america in a recession. then again, the gov didn't help us out either.

If American guitars weren't overpriced and bad quality (on average) compared to Japanese guitars, there wouldn't be this advice in the first place. Obviously, not to start a flame war I will say I've played some great American guitars, but the bang:buck ratio of Japanese guitars always seems to destory them.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Obviously, not to start a flame war I will say I've played some great American guitars, but the bang:buck ratio of Japanese guitars always seems to destory them.

I'm on your side.

And to the TS, i don't know much about LP's from the past but from what i've read in this thread...no one is in agreement.

So this is more of the typical "go try em and see" (if you can find em)
If you're open to other options, in that price range...

I would recommend the Ernie Ball Music Man 25th Anneversary Guitar.

Reading their forums, it comes very close to the full thick rich tone of an LP, with the light weight of a Strat. This is due to a massive block of mahogany in the middle of the body where the bridge and pickups are mounted.

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/25th-anniversary.html

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-25th-Anniversary-Electric-Guitar?sku=581872

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear