I understand that the players skill and choice of pedals are most important, but what amp would best compliment Hendrix songs, which verge from Red House (blues) to Machine Gun (psychedelic rock). That is slow melodies, to roaring solos.

I have a limit of £800. That is $1319.

Please suggest amps which cover a range of price brackets below my limit.

Thanks very much for taking the time to research. It would be appreciated.
he used marshalls, but any amp along with a fuzz face and crybaby should be good
I'd suggest getting a decent tubed Marshall.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
How much is a used marshall plexi, JTM45, JCM800, or the 18 watter in the UK?
A used Marshall tube, or perhaps some imitation Marshall, like a Splawn(?) or something similar. Anything Britished-voiced other than a Vox, which seem to have their own British sound. Add a wah, octave fuzz, and a Strat, maybe a phaser or a vibrato, and you would have a very good Hendrix cover rig IMO.
Ceriatone JTM45
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Hendrix used marshall for live situation. He used a fender twin reverb for the recording of Axis:Bold as love so you might want to look at the reissue one. I play A LOT of Hendrix and that's the amp I have and with a fuzz face you can get a really good tone.

Quote by JayLacelle
he used marshalls, but any amp along with a fuzz face and crybaby should be good

He used a vox, not a crybaby
Quote by antoine2055
Hendrix used marshall for live situation. He used a fender twin reverb for the recording of Axis:Bold as love so you might want to look at the reissue one. I play A LOT of Hendrix and that's the amp I have and with a fuzz face you can get a really good tone.

He used a vox, not a crybaby

How did he OD a twin reverb?! The sound engineers must've hated him.

I like his live tone much more though. Monterey pop = secks.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Bostonrocks
Ceriatone JTM45

this is probably your best bet, along with a nice fuzz and wah.
and I'm pretty sure hendrix just dimed everything on his amp
Quote by dcdossett65
How did he OD a twin reverb?! The sound engineers must've hated him.

I like his live tone much more though. Monterey pop = secks.

I think the fact of the Twin Reverb being impossible to overdrive without going def in a minute is more of a myth. I have my twin at about 4-5 when I play with with my friend (the drummer is playing like he really needs to hit every drum really hard...) and I have a bit of overdrive. But I got a problem with my Twin like 5 months ago and I didn't change my tubes for one year so that MIGHT be the reason I'm like not even 10% sure about that. Oh and I play with a 2006 highway one strat if that maters.

And yeah is live tone from monterey is much better but Fender is like 800$ less when I bought it with amazing clean so that's why I chose the Twin.

Quote by kurtebirdi
this is probably your best bet, along with a nice fuzz and wah.
and I'm pretty sure hendrix just dimed everything on his amp

He had lots of power amp overdrive so probably he didn't dim the volume.
Last edited by antoine2055 at Jul 23, 2009,
The monterey pop festival amp was a Marshall JTM45/100. George Metropoulos makes a replica of it.
Quote by antoine2055
He had lots of power amp overdrive so probably he didn't dim the volume.

You do know that Power Amp Overdrive is from pushing the power-amp tubes past their limits??? AKA Pumping the volume
How does the JTM45 differ in tone compared to the JTM45/100? Just wattage?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
How does the JTM45 differ in tone compared to the JTM45/100? Just wattage?
Same preamp, but the JTM45/100 uses a solid state rectifier in the power supply, and depending on the version either one or two output transformers and four KT66s in the poweramp.

Think of it as a cleaner, more open sounding JTM45 with a tighter low end. Even though it's supposed to be 100 watts, it really puts out more like... 80 or so. It's not really THAT loud in the grand scheme of things (ie. to his later super leads) but god damn does it sound good.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by TUMFP
You do know that Power Amp Overdrive is from pushing the power-amp tubes past their limits??? AKA Pumping the volume

I meant power-amp distortion... Don't know if it's the same.

EDIT: HOO huge misunderstanding... English is not my first language and I always tought that "dimed" meant like to reduce... Well, I just learned that it's not.
Last edited by antoine2055 at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Same preamp, but the JTM45/100 uses a solid state rectifier in the power supply, and depending on the version either one or two output transformers and four KT66s in the poweramp.

Think of it as a cleaner, more open sounding JTM45 with a tighter low end. Even though it's supposed to be 100 watts, it really puts out more like... 80 or so. It's not really THAT loud in the grand scheme of things (ie. to his later super leads) but god damn does it sound good.

So would a regular JTM45 suffice for the hendrix tone though? I'm not too keen an a 100w head.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I think the cost of getting a Ceriatone delivered to the UK may be prohibitive, but there are plenty of other options, and luckily you live in the UK.

If you have a cab,you could buy a JTM45 brand new for £789 (www.gak.co.uk). In this case though, I would look for a used Marshall, or a different amp altogether that can cover the tones.

At the cheaper end of the scale are amps like the Laney VC-15 and VC-30, or even a Fender Blues Junior, which I would recommend if you need some of your budget for a guitar and effects, but if you want top quality then perhaps look into something like an EVA (English Valve Amps) 18w Super TMB. They do a combo or head, which you can pair up with their matching 1x12 and keep withing budget.

http://www.englishvalveamps.co.uk/18wtmb.html

EDIT: The head doesn't only come in red, they do custom colours.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Jul 23, 2009,
I should note that I don't have a guitar or amp yet .

I'll be buying a Fender American Standard Stratocaster and an amplifier. Later saving up for pedals.

I may sound naive but I'm pretty sure I want to play some blues, jazz and classic rock.

Realistically, I would be paying around £500 for an amp. Perhaps that clarifies things?
Quote by Bostonrocks
Ceriatone JTM45

For the win, + a fuzz pedal you can build yourself for 20 bucks.

Most of the music you listed was forged from overdriven Marshall amps, but Ceriatone JTM45/18 TMB would suit you since they are pretty good clones of Marshall amps.
Last edited by stykerwolf at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by herraotic
I should note that I don't have a guitar or amp yet .

I'll be buying a Fender American Standard Stratocaster and an amplifier. Later saving up for pedals.

I may sound naive but I'm pretty sure I want to play some blues, jazz and classic rock.

Realistically, I would be paying around £500 for an amp. Perhaps that clarifies things?

If buying new or used, look into a Fender Blues Junior, Laney VC-15 or VC-30, or a Peavey Classic 30.

For £500, you can get some pretty nice used amps. Check eBay, Gumtree and Craigslist for some great deals. There's a guy up here on the Glasgow Gumtree selling a Vox AC50 combo for £500, which will nail the Hendrix sound, despite being a Vox (it's very Marshall-esque)
Quote by dcdossett65
So would a regular JTM45 suffice for the hendrix tone though? I'm not too keen an a 100w head.

Regular JTM45 would work great. maybe change the tube rectifier, but not really that necessary
Ceriatone JTM45 "Experienced" or Ceriatone Plexi 100 Super Lead.

Also: You have to have a strat. A Fuzz Face is pretty necessary too.