I haven't locked in on any style yet; I'll play anything from pristine clean arpeggios with delay, heavy sounding metal, and some dirty broken-up blues here and there. Basically only need an amp for bedroom practice and possibly really small gigs, and I would like to use tubes, and I tend to stay away from modeling amps, only because I have a cheap one now (Fender g-dec jr) and it makes everything sound the same depending on what setting is selected.

So you see where my dilemma comes up.

Been looking around, and the Peavey Windsor 20w seems to be a good one for the price. Intended for cleans but can distort a bit, and if I need more I could always get a metal pedal or somethin.... Right? Anyone got something against this one?

At the same time, a B-52 60w sounds pretty nice too.

EDIT: Budget: I would like to keep it around $400, but I can be flexible if necessary. This isn't gonna be a next-week buy or anything like that, just shopping now.
Last edited by Jerry.thewise at Jul 23, 2009,
if you're looking for a practice amplifier, you might check out a Vox Valvetronix (VT30 has 30 watts output power on tap) series. Yes, they are modeling amps, but they have some significant advantages. They have tremendous tonal variety due to 22 amplifier models (clean to pretty heavy distortion) built in as well as 12 effect models. In addition, they have a tube preamp which lends a very alive tone. The VT30 is $270, while the VT50 is right at $400. I've been playing the valvetronix series for the past four and a half years, and I still love the amp. Anyway, something to look at. Good luck.
Equipment:

Dean VX
Dean Avalanche 7
Squire SE Stratocaster
Vox AD50VT
Boss OD-20
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Blackstar HT-5, or any of the little blackhearts. Probably gonna want an OD, maybe even a fuzz for some of the metal though
Quote by wilseyp
if you're looking for a practice amplifier, you might check out a Vox Valvetronix (VT30 has 30 watts output power on tap) series. Yes, they are modeling amps, but they have some significant advantages. They have tremendous tonal variety due to 22 amplifier models (clean to pretty heavy distortion) built in as well as 12 effect models. In addition, they have a tube preamp which lends a very alive tone. The VT30 is $270, while the VT50 is right at $400. I've been playing the valvetronix series for the past four and a half years, and I still love the amp. Anyway, something to look at. Good luck.

I have played a Vox Valvetronix, and I was pleased with it. A bit complicated from what I messed around with (unless I'm confusing it with the Vypyr sitting right next to it) , but if you can back up the tonal variety then I'll check it out in detail next time I see one.

How much control do I have over the effects?
Last edited by Jerry.thewise at Jul 23, 2009,