Page 1 of 2
Alright so we starting booking our own shows recently.

We started out just getting in touch with a booker from a friend band. We played a few presale tix shows (packed and deserted) in a few pubs and bars around our town on the island (NY).

So now we have our own booking "company". We have bands do presales while we promote the show every possible (I mean it) and sell tickets ourselves. Our first show is in August and we have all the bands set up with their tickets/flyers etc.

Recently we got in touch with a band from NJ and we're ganna trade shows with them. I'm thinking about expanding our network into NJ then CT by trading shows with bands. They play our shows for free, we come there and play for free.

We're expecting a good amount of money from booking these shows... about 600 splited 3 ways

So... We're a highschool local band.. been together a little over a year.. we played about 6 or 7 shows so far. We have our own booking and we plan on keeping it even when we go national. We're also expanding into NJ and CT...

So how does it sound? Is there anything we should watch out for? Can we just do our own booking nationally? This could have a little bit more extra cash flowing our way if we're doing the booking.

Put it this way people love us live. Good presence good music they just love it so much. Way more than the little local highschool band attempt at music.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Quote by actaderock
to answer your question, you have to show us your music

to comment about your story, cool for u

Agreed.
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
Good story bro. Let's see and hear anything to back it up. Everyone has great ambitions when they start, and it is a good START. Let's hear you guys, see a myspace or a facebook, and see some pictures or videos of some of your past shows.

Then we can judge you.
youtube.com/bananaman395

those vids are old, her singing changed.. our playing's better.. the usual local band with no recordings excuse.. but im telling you know they just love it
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Hmmm. Networking is great, but I wouldn't play for free. Even if they are willing to. A gig is a gig.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Bro, you guys are good for screaming/metal/whatever you are considered from what I could tell, but I can't say you are doing extra great for a high school band.

Almost everyone around here books their own shows in their town and elsewhere. It is really what you need to do. It seems like you do a good job promoting your shows with the whole presale thing. Out east in the US, you should take advantage of how dense the population is. I'm guessing you don't have to drive far to find new places to play, and you should use that opportunity and play tons of shows.

It is very important to have recordings however. That is one way to put yourself ahead of the average high school band stereotype that you don't want to be in. I know what it's like with that stereotype, I have been in it and I am still working to keep it off. There is really no excuse for no recordings. I am 16 and have been in my current band for 9 months, and we have already made 2 records. We have also booked shows as far as 2 hours away, and it helps get you a few fans in places other than your hometown, which is great. Try hard to get into a studio for a day or 2 and make 1-2 good quality songs you can give away, or make a full record. Then start agressively booking in the areas around your hometown.
Ok great story!

Facts:
- Together for a year
- Played 6 shows
- No money

I dunno? Average?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Banana Man
youtube.com/bananaman395

those vids are old, her singing changed.. our playing's better.. the usual local band with no recordings excuse.. but im telling you know they just love it

As in changed do you mean she actually sings now? If not then I wouldn't even watch you guys if that was a free show.
My band's played more then seven shows during June and July, and we haven't even been together an entire year, just about 5 months I'd say. There's too many metal style vocalists behind average music for me to say you really have a chance doing so little.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Well thing is our band has been screwing around the first actual year. Only in the last 5 months have we started doing stuff. We're recording a big ass show on a crappy camera. Obviously the quality would be much better live. But I already told you guys -- they love it.

I guess we just need recordings to progress alot faster. We're ganna put $300 from booking from this next show into recording a 2 song demo.

Anything else we should be aware of? Booking other bands, trading shows stuff like that?
bro0otal

Drummer

Quote by Banana Man

Anything else we should be aware of? Booking other bands, trading shows stuff like that?

A bass player?
Soundcloud
Alan

Wow, you guys have been able to suceed at those presale things? You have legit fans who will buy those rediculously overpriced tickets?
... better than i'm doing
Quote by Banana Man
Well thing is our band has been screwing around the first actual year. Only in the last 5 months have we started doing stuff. We're recording a big ass show on a crappy camera. Obviously the quality would be much better live. But I already told you guys -- they love it.

I guess we just need recordings to progress alot faster. We're ganna put $300 from booking from this next show into recording a 2 song demo.

Be nice to people you meet, don't have an ego at shows. Not saying you do, but lots of people do.

If you have a show to offer a band, make sure they are the type of band that will be able to trade back and get you on a show.
Do you have a Myspace? If not, get one. Make it look as professional as possible. Get some recordings that sound good. Put them up there. Add the bands you're playing with. Add bands you might want to connect with and trade shows with. Add venues as well. Tell people to check out your Myspace at your shows.

Facebook is a good way to communicate with fans too. You can send updates to fans. Make event pages for your shows and invite people. People can RSVP to your event and you can know who to expect to show up. Its quite useful.

I wouldn't say you're doing extremely well, but you're not doing bad either. Get on the networking advice I gave you and get some recordings. I've toured in 2 different bands and been in another band that opened for major acts. I just graduated from high school this year.

It sounds like you have a good start. Keep it up.
Last edited by Young Mosaics at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by actaderock
to answer your question, you have to show us your music

to comment about your story, cool for u

Agrees
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
I had to register to mention this.

It's a small world, because I was down at the Blue Parrot, it was either june or july 1st, and I saw you guys play...Haha...Your vocals haven't improved at all, she's embarassingly bad but sadly not the worst part of the band. Your drummer's technique is ****ing hysterical -- his beats were incredibly generic and below par for metalcore. Get him lessons. The guitar tones are dreadful, but other then that the playing isn't that bad for a year or two. I don'tremember if there was a bassist or 2nd guitarist but it was nothing special if there was.

You guys aren't very good at all. I'd say ditch the drummer and singer but that would leave you with just yourself. You all just need a lot of practice and need to abandon the stage for a year and two and work on it.

edit: Also that company you work for is a bunch of asses that pull together a show in 10 minutes. Don't say they're much more then that.
^ ...owned?

If thats actually true, you really need a wakeup call.
Last edited by One on Sunday at Jul 25, 2009,
If there's anything to be learnt from this it's that you should never, ever get a big head about your band. It's great that you enjoy playing music, and you should never stop. However, if you think you're awesome, even if you're the most popular band in the world, put those thoughts away. It'll end in tears.

However it usually ends when an audience member tells you that you suck to your face, and every gigging musician has been there at least one time in their life. It's not a reason to stop, it's a reason to improve.
Soundcloud
Quote by One on Sunday
^ ...owned?

If thats actually true, you really need a wakeup call.

It's true. Every band on that night had some sort of problem within the band, too, which was weird. I recall the first band on had a really, really great lead player that looked like he was no older then 16...shredding his ass off with great tone and taste, with a neil peart style drummer with crazy ass playing and solid rhythm parts, but the singer blew absolute ass.

They were some prog-style band and seemed sort of out of place on the ticket though, because everyone else was metalcore. The other metalcore bands on the ticket all needed slight fix-ups and they'd be fine for metalcore, usually it was just muddy tone or sloppy playing.

The difference with them and you is that they all just needed to fix up a thing or two and they'd be fine. You guys need a lot of work. My advice:
1. Get your drummer lessons
2. Get your singer to sing
3. Don't play live shows with a line 6 spider and bad EQ settings for bad tone.

This may seem like absolute bashing, but it's completely true. You guys really need a lot of work.
hahahaha i'd say the story doesn't have a happy ending after all

also that lead singer girl needs to stop waltzing around like it's a dance club before the song starts.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
God, I knew you were one of these people, BananaMan. Come back and explain yourself.

Fuckin' owned
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by itstheman
I had to register to mention this.

It's a small world, because I was down at the Blue Parrot, it was either june or july 1st, and I saw you guys play...Haha...Your vocals haven't improved at all, she's embarassingly bad but sadly not the worst part of the band. Your drummer's technique is ****ing hysterical -- his beats were incredibly generic and below par for metalcore. Get him lessons. The guitar tones are dreadful, but other then that the playing isn't that bad for a year or two. I don'tremember if there was a bassist or 2nd guitarist but it was nothing special if there was.

You guys aren't very good at all. I'd say ditch the drummer and singer but that would leave you with just yourself. You all just need a lot of practice and need to abandon the stage for a year and two and work on it.

edit: Also that company you work for is a bunch of asses that pull together a show in 10 minutes. Don't say they're much more then that.

Ok, what band are you from? I already told my drummer to work on his technique but he doesn't listen. And she's been working on her range so she can sing with a better head voice. Her current spot isn't where she's trying to be right now.

And stop being an asshole. I'm just trying to get feedback so we can improve. That "company of asses" is actually us trying to put on a different show around here instead of the same highschool bands watching each other on sat nights.. We go around to places like the mall and music stores with the flyers to get the word around.. And we've actually had a few come through to our old shows from out there. We also try to book a few bands from other places. Next show we're going to trade a few out of state shows to get some new music around here.
bro0otal

Drummer

Quote by Banana Man
And she's been working on her range so she can sing with a better head voice.

I'm not really up with lots of singing lingo, but what is a "better head voice"? It is making me a bit excited

Some of the guys here are not being cool about this, most bands do suck when you're beginning. There should be some rule that you can only criticize other bands only if you've uploaded vids or recordings of your own band or music.

If everything the OP's saying is true, this would be one of the few times that the music needs more work than the publicity for the band. Record your band, discuss what needs to be added. Don't worry about the drummer's technique if it's doing the job, same goes for the singer. The only person you can improve is yourself.

And where's the bass player?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm not really up with lots of singing lingo, but what is a "better head voice"? It is making me a bit excited

Some of the guys here are not being cool about this, most bands do suck when you're beginning. There should be some rule that you can only criticize other bands only if you've uploaded vids or recordings of your own band or music.

If everything the OP's saying is true, this would be one of the few times that the music needs more work than the publicity for the band. Record your band, discuss what needs to be added. Don't worry about the drummer's technique if it's doing the job, same goes for the singer. The only person you can improve is yourself.

And where's the bass player?

You could probably use this source..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_voice

Everything else you've posted, along with all the echoed post aren't really helping right now.

Quote by AlanHB
If there's anything to be learnt from this it's that you should never, ever get a big head about your band. It's great that you enjoy playing music, and you should never stop. However, if you think you're awesome, even if you're the most popular band in the world, put those thoughts away. It'll end in tears.

However it usually ends when an audience member tells you that you suck to your face, and every gigging musician has been there at least one time in their life. It's not a reason to stop, it's a reason to improve.

No one said I'm getting bigheaded about my music. I'm proud of what I put out and I set to improve it everytime. Maybe not everyone in the band isn't on the same page as me.. But people tell me they like our shows and I see it in the way they mosh and respond after shows.. We get great feedback from people. Strangers and people who actually came to the show for the rock guys..
bro0otal

Drummer

Quote by Banana Man

Everything else you've posted, along with all the echoed post aren't really helping right now.

Aww don't be like that - I'm one of the only people here who hasn't bagged your band and has added advice.

On it's face you could argue that the thread wasn't big headed, but the purpose of it was to receive complements.
Soundcloud
Quote by Banana Man
Ok, what band are you from? I already told my drummer to work on his technique but he doesn't listen. And she's been working on her range so she can sing with a better head voice. Her current spot isn't where she's trying to be right now.

I wasn't from one of the bands. I was there for a friend who was there for one of the other metal bands there.

You're obviously aware you're far from gig-worthy, why do you gig? Your singer doesn't have a voice; she screams. It's dreadful. You need superb musicianship to make up for lousy vocals IMO, which isn't there.

Quote by Banana Man
And stop being an asshole. I'm just trying to get feedback so we can improve. That "company of asses" is actually us trying to put on a different show around here instead of the same highschool bands watching each other on sat nights.. We go around to places like the mall and music stores with the flyers to get the word around.. And we've actually had a few come through to our old shows from out there. We also try to book a few bands from other places. Next show we're going to trade a few out of state shows to get some new music around here.

I'm not being an asshole. I'm being completely honest. Stop gigging and practice. Take as long as you need to get a strong band and then go out and show people what you can do. The "company of asses," is a company of asses. I saw them pulling out gear and setting up at the last minute; that's a bad sign.

Right now, you're not very good as a band. But about 15 people know that. If you go out and gig constantly, a few hundred will know that. Is it easier to lose respect of 15 fans and start over, or go out and make a mess of your reputation to a few hundred metalcore fans?
Careful. I know itstheman is trying to balance his 'honest criticism' with being helpful, though I think he could be more.... delicate?.... about it. Meh... the music industry is full of brutal critics. Better get used to it.

However, calling people names is flaming. Flaming is bad. Just sayin..... Might be worth a re-read of the UG Rules if you're not sure.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
BananaMan - You're thinking about the business and networking end of things. That truly is one of the things that separates a pro band from a garage band or a bunch of wannabes. That's great. I'm a bit curious about your business model.

I'm assuming these bands are original. $600... .say three bands selling 40 tix at $5 a piece or something?

Sometimes that can really be a lot of tix for a band to try to sell, never mind that kind of success on all three bands.

Out of that $600.... what is the breakdown if you don't mind me asking, between what you get as the promoter and what they get as performers?

What I'm getting at is:
1. Is this sustainable, or will you wear out your welcome sooner than later?
2. Are the other bands being treated fairly? If they're not, then word will get around. See concern #1.
3. Are you re-investing that money that you do end up keeping back into your product? If you are, then kudos to you. You're thinking totally in the right direction.

Keep in mind that this could, more than the shows, be a valuable networking tool for you to get to know other bands, and more importantly, other people who *help* other bands - other promoters, booking agents, managers, etc. The name you make for yourself in these dealings can potentially make you or break you.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by itstheman

3. Don't play live shows with a line 6 spider and bad EQ settings for bad tone.

Hrm... maybe not a Spider, I dunno. Pete Lesperance from Harem Scarem is easily among the best players in the world, along with Nuno, etc.

Here is where he talks about Line 6:
http://haremscarem.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=994
http://www.metalzone.info/index.php?page=rozhovory&item=24

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Hrm... maybe not a Spider, I dunno. Pete Lesperance from Harem Scarem is easily among the best players in the world, along with Nuno, etc.

Here is where he talks about Line 6:
http://haremscarem.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=994
http://www.metalzone.info/index.php?page=rozhovory&item=24

CT

I'm not bashing Line 6 entirely, but the Spider III sounds dreadful. I'd rather have an MG since at least that has some dynamics range. Flextones are great amps.
Quote by axemanchris
BananaMan - You're thinking about the business and networking end of things. That truly is one of the things that separates a pro band from a garage band or a bunch of wannabes. That's great. I'm a bit curious about your business model.

I'm assuming these bands are original. $600... .say three bands selling 40 tix at $5 a piece or something?

Sometimes that can really be a lot of tix for a band to try to sell, never mind that kind of success on all three bands.

Out of that $600.... what is the breakdown if you don't mind me asking, between what you get as the promoter and what they get as performers?

What I'm getting at is:
1. Is this sustainable, or will you wear out your welcome sooner than later?
2. Are the other bands being treated fairly? If they're not, then word will get around. See concern #1.
3. Are you re-investing that money that you do end up keeping back into your product? If you are, then kudos to you. You're thinking totally in the right direction.

Keep in mind that this could, more than the shows, be a valuable networking tool for you to get to know other bands, and more importantly, other people who *help* other bands - other promoters, booking agents, managers, etc. The name you make for yourself in these dealings can potentially make you or break you.

CT

Wow I had a post and my internet froze. W,e I'll summarize what I originally had..

We have 9 others bands selling $150 ($10 a piece/whatever works for them) They get to keep all the extra ticket sales. I think we treat our bands very nice. It's better than 180-200 that some of these guys do.. A friend from another band told me he had to sell 40 tickets at 20 bucks a piece... It was a bigger show at a better venue but these guys aren't really all that far ahead of the game.

Yes we are investing our money. Here's our breakdown..

For money to spend on nonsense, we're getting $10 a piece (3 people)

200-300 Will be locked away so that we can pay off the early deposit for the next show. 250 will go towards recording a 2 song demo.

I don't know how we can make it anymore fair besides non presales (lol). 'Course everyone knows how much having to sell tickets sucks ass. We've been through it and really just want to play a few good shows and have some fun right now. We've scrapped it down for them so much to the point where we're better off selling tacos in a bathroom.
bro0otal

Drummer

Are you booking all these places yourself or are you part of a pyramid scheme?
Soundcloud
I'd say if you keep your wits about you and thinking along these lines that, no matter what your demo sounds like now, you've got a potential future in the industry in some respect. When I was 16, 17 or whatever, I had no freakin' clue. My demo when I was your age also sucked totall @ss. And no, I will *not* post it. (yes, I do have it... 1987, folks... yikes....)

CT

Page 1 of 2