Page 1 of 2
Recently when jamming with my friends i've been feeling unsubstantial... I feel that my instrument is useless when I'm just there following rhythm with sounds no one listening to the music will be able even to distinguish. Idk I've been feeling really negative towards bass with the genre I play in these days... your thoughts?
thats just the style of bass those genres go for.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Ktool The Girth
thats just the style of bass those genres go for.

It's not even a style though, it's near pointless. It's almost like it's just there, to be there.
I used to feel that same way back in my -core days.

Now, on bass I delve more into jazz and blues, etc. That definitely makes you feel important.

But, as far as I see, most bass is useless in -core bands. IMO, of course.
Listen to bands like Cynic or Atheist. Incrediblebands with amazing bassists who write interesting bass lines that dont always follow the guitar.
Do something different. Dont always follow the guitar, play counterpoint harmonies, fun fills, ect.
There's bass in metalcore?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
yes, its not about being heard as an individual in your group. Its about the overall sound, trust me if you cut the bass out your band would sound trebely and thin.
Quote by ibanezshred503
Turn it up more..... Without bass there is no lower frequencies in a song, bass is what gives metal that huge sound. Even if people don't recognize it, its still one of the most important parts of metal right next to the drums.

lol not in his kinda metal. the guitars are usually downtuned, and the drummer uses double bass <-- where the big sound comes from in deathcore, etc.

if anything, when you turn up, the rest of the band will, too, so that you're drowned out :P even the vocalist will do it. and if worst comes to worst, those bands usually get a keyboard player.
Listen to As Blood Runs Black, their bassist follows the guitars most of the time, which will make you feel a little more important.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Listen to As Blood Runs Black, their bassist follows the guitars most of the time, which will make you feel a little more important.

I actually love that band... but listening to them doesn't really make me feel any better about playing bass in the genre.
Bass in genre-core is just rhythm guitarist without power chords or being heard. Bass isn`t useless, it`s just not utilized in those genres.
eq more towards bass so that you're felt as well as heard. In a live performance, that makes a lot of difference.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Taargus
Bass in genre-core is just rhythm guitarist without power chords or being heard. Bass isn`t useless, it`s just not utilized in those genres.

i disagree. there's always room for innovation. i play in a "powerpopcore" band. i use things i pick up from jazz and motown all the time in order to make it sound different and distinctive, yet keep the bass in its proper role within a band.
#DTWD
Get a decent pair of headphones or speakers, and listen to your favourite Metal/-core song. Listen to that low end. Now go into theEQand take away all the low end. Sounds crap doesn't it? Thats what the Bass does. Its all in the EQ, and if you've got obnoxious gutiarists and a drummer who won't shift for some room, then just accept the fact that you're not gonna be physically heard, and turn your bass all the way up and be felt. Your adding to the music, and if you weren't there, people lsitening through subwoofers and stuff would hear the high mids - high end, and it won't sound heavy. Low end = Heavy when mixed with guitars. Its there for a reason.
Quote by watchingmefall
Please do not mix those genres, the bass approach is very different. Death Metal bass is to be respected, highly important and influential if you listen to the right bands.

Yeah, Cannibal Corpse, Athiest, Cynic, Quo Vadis, Opeth etc. etc. All make brilliant use of the bass guitar.
my subjestion is try to write bass lines centered around the drums. you could write parts that harmonize and drone out to build tension and then go back to the root to add a feeling of "conclusion" to the end of melody that is allways fun. but it is allways interesting to write bass parts centered around the drums hit the root and follow the kick drum. that way you dont feel like a "guitar copycat" and more like a "driveing force"
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
You play your own bass parts. If you want interesting lines then write them.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Lollage123
Yeah, Cannibal Corpse, Athiest, Cynic, Quo Vadis, Opeth etc. etc. All make brilliant use of the bass guitar.

I wouldn't really call Opeth *just* death metal, their still mainly progressive metal with death elements.

Now Death would be a good example of awesome bass.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Dude, Don't **** up like I did. I ended up getting a nice guitar but i really do not have a good amp. So when i practice i have to but my amp through our ****ty PA we got haha, and now for gigs my friend lends me his 2000 dollar amp... And I can't even enjoy the gig because im worrying about the damn amp, Just get an amp and master your skills, 3 months man, you got a way to go but you can do it
Quote by Angel of Raziel
Dude, Don't **** up like I did. I ended up getting a nice guitar but i really do not have a good amp. So when i practice i have to but my amp through our ****ty PA we got haha, and now for gigs my friend lends me his 2000 dollar amp... And I can't even enjoy the gig because im worrying about the damn amp, Just get an amp and master your skills, 3 months man, you got a way to go but you can do it

I got a full stack and failed to consider how I would transport it so I ended up using a crappy PA anyway.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Dude, i felt like that as well a couple of months ago, Then i re-discovered Opeth, I paid more attention, and holy monkey balls. I fell in love with them. I learned many of there songs on bass, which was the hardest thing i have ever done on bass. I suggest you give them a try and bands like Cynic, most bands have been mentioned. Just give new bands a try.
EQ differently. Boost your Mids and Lows Mids if you can. You'll cut through instead of being louder. I have a ****load of Bass and Low Mids in my tone and it sound Metal but it isn't weak.

Your Mid boosted tone will fill out the Mid deprived tone of the guitarists.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The bass guitar puts in the low-end punch needed for metal, Even if you don't get the credit you deserve be proud.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
I play bass is a post-hardcore band and I make SURE that I am heard. You know what I do? Listen to Between the Buried and Me. Dan Briggs writes countermelodies. He doesn't do what the guitarist does a lot of the time. That's me. I do my own thing, and when it's all put together and played, it sounds great.
So, umm, do the people that you are jamming with ask/tell you to follow the rhythm? Or do you just do it on your own cause it seems like thats what makes the music heavier?

If they dont actually ask you to do all the simple things that seem a bit boring, try and write a new bassline to the songs that can utilize your knowledge and see how they react. If they shoot you down and all then you can either take it and keep holding the simple simple low end or quit.

When i joined my band it was just me and a hopeful lead guitarist, he wanted to play metalcore but also thought that victor wooten, martin mendez and the like were cool as hell so i was either required to or got to do some more melodic things with what i wrote. now that we've got a full group i get to keep that bit as a kind of seniority thing i guess ... our rhythm guitarist dosnt write alot anyway so it works out.

Depends on what your band mates are going for, but if its gonna be focused around some br00tal breakdowns and whatever ... then your pretty much gonna play open notes while some guy sweep picks for a few minutes. You could play the octave ... but thats not heavy enough is it?

Write bass lines to as i lay dying's songs, you can literally turn the last minute and a half of elegy into a crazy solo if you wanted, all those songs until an ocean between us are crazy easy.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Thegian
So, umm, do the people that you are jamming with ask/tell you to follow the rhythm? Or do you just do it on your own cause it seems like thats what makes the music heavier?

If they dont actually ask you to do all the simple things that seem a bit boring, try and write a new bassline to the songs that can utilize your knowledge and see how they react. If they shoot you down and all then you can either take it and keep holding the simple simple low end or quit.

When i joined my band it was just me and a hopeful lead guitarist, he wanted to play metalcore but also thought that victor wooten, martin mendez and the like were cool as hell so i was either required to or got to do some more melodic things with what i wrote. now that we've got a full group i get to keep that bit as a kind of seniority thing i guess ... our rhythm guitarist dosnt write alot anyway so it works out.

Depends on what your band mates are going for, but if its gonna be focused around some br00tal breakdowns and whatever ... then your pretty much gonna play open notes while some guy sweep picks for a few minutes. You could play the octave ... but thats not heavy enough is it?

Write bass lines to as i lay dying's songs, you can literally turn the last minute and a half of elegy into a crazy solo if you wanted, all those songs until an ocean between us are crazy easy.

Anytime I do something unique or different to the guitars, everyone's like, Oh, that doesn't match it's too overpowering to the song... so I'm just there stuck mimicing the rhythm guitarist... I know although people don't notice the low end I am producing is felt, but come the **** on... anyone can do that... This is why all the guitarists and even the drummers get their whole BASS IS SO EASY, bull****... I was actually going to do lead vocals for this band, and I told them to find a bassist, than they were like... well bass isnt that hard is it? You can do LEAD vocals and play bass at the same time right? That pissed me off a lot... Than they couldn't find a bassist (funny how it's so easy, yet they couldnt find anyone) they liked so they want me to stay as bass and do back up vocals and they find a new lead.... **** this band.
So if you feel like your just following create your own bassline! Make something that sticks out from what everything else is doing, no sense in copying it exactly.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
thats because you let the guitar players tell you what to do, grow a set and do what you want to do. just because half the metal/core/deathcore metal bands bass players are useless doesnt mean you have to be too. listen to bands like quo vadis, mastodon, iron maiden, and dream theater(theres gobs more but im lost for names at this very moment). those are metal bands and their bass players know what they are doing, and with out them the bands wouldn't be as good as they are. when it comes to playing bass bands like metallica, slayer *insert dozens of generic hardcore metalhead metal bands* and bullet for my valentine are the worst examples of bass playing. dont stand back and let the guitar players take all the glory. stick your head out and demand to be heard and allowed to contribute = D
Last edited by bass-boy-garith at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by kaossurge
Anytime I do something unique or different to the guitars, everyone's like, Oh, that doesn't match it's too overpowering to the song... so I'm just there stuck mimicing the rhythm guitarist... I know although people don't notice the low end I am producing is felt, but come the **** on... anyone can do that... This is why all the guitarists and even the drummers get their whole BASS IS SO EASY, bull****... I was actually going to do lead vocals for this band, and I told them to find a bassist, than they were like... well bass isnt that hard is it? You can do LEAD vocals and play bass at the same time right? That pissed me off a lot... Than they couldn't find a bassist (funny how it's so easy, yet they couldnt find anyone) they liked so they want me to stay as bass and do back up vocals and they find a new lead.... **** this band.

That's complete bull****. The guitarist doesn't know what he's talking about, unless you're soloing every five seconds or something.

Do what you want to do, what fits the song, what complements your instrument, and what makes people in the crowd hear you and make their jaws drop.
Quote by kaossurge

Okay, well take all the bands that people have said you should listen to on this thread; and make them listen to them. Hopefully that'll help.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Bass in death metal is pretty awesome, Try some "Frantic Disembowlment" or "That one Necropghagist song with an awesome bass solo".

Metalcore and Deathcore bands have good bassists who very rarely get to show their talent, but there are some pretty cool fills in "awken the Dreamers" by all Shall Perish.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by MattAnderson111

this

TS: see if you left the bass out in a live situation, it sounds so unbelievably empty. My band had a gig the other week and our bassist's lead cut out on him and it took away our entire low end.

its not as noticable in a recording mix, but definetly a necesity when it comes to live sound
Top lel.
Quote by MustangMan311
Do what you want to do, what fits the song, what complements your instrument, and what makes people in the crowd hear you and make their jaws drop.

Depends on each members view of how the songs supposed to sound dosnt it?

From what probably everyone can understand the guitarists in the band want the usual heavy distorted guitars with all the solos all over the place like we who listen to the genre always see. Then the bass is just there to play the absolute root of the song with the occasional 12th fret drop down for signaling a new riff yeh?

Plus, if you think about it, the kids in the crowds at a show are gonna be impressed with the bass if theres some crazy bass drop that totally makes all their little cameras that they are recording with cut out audio completely which will then be commented on by people on youtube .

Anyway, The World we Knew is pretty much exactly what i picture when i think about what it is ive described. Great band, but the bass is pretty much strictly a supporting role and there to produce enough of a wall of sound to get by. Or Born of Osiris, no matter how awesome i think they are ... theres just no bass to be found other than when he follows the guitar fills and the six of so seconds in starved where its just bass and drums. (I will destroy every aspect of it! , new album rocks)

Now, Conducting from the Grave and Belay my Last are two pretty good examples of bands in this ... -core thing with bass players who are being allowed to do a great job and are putting out some great stuff. Most notably "From Ruins We Rise" and "The Skies Are Blackened, Not By Clouds ... But Insects" from CftG and Sleepwalk (1:20 and on being the best bit) and The Downfall with the bass solo at 2 minutes plus that songs pretty epic anyway even though i'm not one for the vocals. So, you know, bass is bound to be a great instrument ... but it seems like in -core metal youve got to have like ... a license to pull as much awesome as the rest of the members.

What compliments an instrument anyway? I thought about that for a bit and i still have no real idea and its confusing me xD

If it were me, just cause of who i am ... i'd sit back and see if the band goes anywhere and maybe show the mates some bands that might sound like what it is you'd like to be doing. They could pick it up, two of my friends went from IWRESTLEDABEARONCE, Parkway Drive, and All Shall Perish to SikTh, Opeth, Om, and Martyr. (no offense to Parkway and ASP ... i do try and avoid IWRESTLEDABEARONCE though)

Point is, expose em to bass filled metal and maybe they'll dig it and then begin to want you to do the same kinda stuff. Omg sorry for long post
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Jul 23, 2009,
Listen to Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse, heck this guy writes 2/3 of the bands songs) and Steve DiGiorgio (He plays FRETLESS). They don't do anything TOO "look at me - I'm trying to stand out", but they make themselves noticed in the mix just because they turn up the trebble knob on the bass and do individualised basslines.
Now my personal playing:
Since I end up usually being the main composer/writer, my basslines don't clash with the guitars, but they work their way up in the mix. At first I usually ended up following the rythms. Then I learned my most important bass lesson of all time - jazz. I realised that doing your own thing is ok as long as you don't clash with the guitar part. IMO - just don't be afraid to jazz it up.
Page 1 of 2