Page 1 of 2
I don't know if this is the right forum section for this (haha sorry mods) but I thought it would be interesting.

What made you guys pick the acoustic guitar and spend hundreds (or thousand) of hours practicing?

Was it a jolt of inspiration by a band? If so, who?

Was it a thing you just had to do by some mysterious force? (i.e. parents or friends made you do it because they were doing something similar)

Was it something that just happened?

AND OF COURSE

Was it to impress the ladies?

I started playing because I had nothing else to do and I needed something to express myself through, without being in any way as revealing as talking. So I picked up the acoustic guitar.
bored, wanted something new to do. only guitar i had in the house was an acoustic so i played that
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
i did it to get a different feel and sound while playing. i find that it's completely different strumming a song on an acoustic than strumming that same song on an electric. i also like the idea of a clean, loud sound without using any equipment. my favorite songs to play on acoustic are Swing Life Away, Overkill, Iris, Broadway, Again I Go Unnoticed, and sometimes just to strum along with softer songs.

With electrics, you can solo, do solos high on the fret board, the strings are close to the neck and it's much easier to handle. an acoustic is bigger, takes a bit of work, but it definitely worth the buy. So I play acoustic to bring some contrast to my playing and create a different sound that a normal tone through an amp.
Though I'm a complete metalhead and used to play electric all the time, I got really annoyed at always having to plug in, plus, I didn't have a good guitar or amp, and I never seemed to improve beyond a certain point, probably due to my holding the pick weird. When I tried acoustic, I just seemed to get it better, I could play cleaner and make it sound better than I could with an electric, and I've stuck ever since, though I still play electric from time to time.
I starting playing acoustic for three reasons.

1) Couldn't afford an electric at the time.
2) Didn't like metal or rock really.
3) Because Acoustic sounds better to me.
I picking up my new acoustic soon I'm getting it cause acoustics build hand strength and playing clean too so that will help a lot.
Because Raffi was my hero.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I play both electric and acoustic...but I like acoustic because I don't have to mess with gear. I can just pick it up and play. Also, I love the whole Singer-Songwriter vibe where its just a guy and an acoustic.

My friend and I are taking a year to travel the U.S after highschool (which is gonna make getting a head start in the luthiery buisness a little harder, but its something my friend and I have been planning for ages...just gonna hop in a car and somehow figure out a way to survive for a year and see the country.) So acoustic is the only kind of guitar I can bring with me, because electric would be sort of cumbersome and in a whole, useless. So busking/street performing requires an acoustic too.

Plus, there is just something...romantic about acoustic. Not romantic as in sexy, but as in a sort of purity. I like that in the music.

And when I play acoustic I dont feel the need to distort it so much that you can't even hear what note it is :P
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
I just love how clean the sound is. There's nothing better than finding a room with awesome acoustics (i.e. The shower :P) and playing acoustic guitar. You just dont get the same effect with electric guitars i don't think, it just isn't as natural, it's a completely different feel.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Quote by ReChord
I play both electric and acoustic...but I like acoustic because I don't have to mess with gear. I can just pick it up and play. Also, I love the whole Singer-Songwriter vibe where its just a guy and an acoustic.

My friend and I are taking a year to travel the U.S after highschool (which is gonna make getting a head start in the luthiery buisness a little harder, but its something my friend and I have been planning for ages...just gonna hop in a car and somehow figure out a way to survive for a year and see the country.) So acoustic is the only kind of guitar I can bring with me, because electric would be sort of cumbersome and in a whole, useless. So busking/street performing requires an acoustic too.

Plus, there is just something...romantic about acoustic. Not romantic as in sexy, but as in a sort of purity. I like that in the music.

And when I play acoustic I dont feel the need to distort it so much that you can't even hear what note it is :P

+1 to all of this. I love metal, but with acoustic, I can get the best of both worlds.

btw, good luck with that trip. Sounds like one ****ing great adventure, as long as nothing too bad goes wrong.
Last edited by THE NEKRYPH at Jul 23, 2009,
acoustics are awesome, man.

you get different tonalities from the electric. also, it can help improve your form as i find that a lot of acoustics are a little bit more difficult to play than electrics forcing you to make sure you use good form.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Don Ross, Antoine Dufour, and Andy McKee were great inspirations.

For me, acoustic guitar was just easier. I find having to plug in a giant pain in the ass. The convenience of just being able to pick it up and play was very appealing. As well, the acoustic guitar was also a bit more high-brow in my mind.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
One word. Fingerstyle.

And I ain't talkin' bout cho mama's fingerstyle. I'm talkin' Tommy Emmanuel, Don Ross, Antoine Dufour, Andy McKee, Kotaro Oshio, Masa Sumide, Eric Roche, Michael Chapdelaine, Trace Bundy... the list goes on.

What first realy made me in awe of the acoustic guitar was my first time seeing Drifting by Andy McKee back when it only had like 300,000 views. Of course now I know it's like the Stairway to Heaven of fingerstyle guitar, but it's still pretty cool if it's your first time watching it.
Last edited by ItsTheMatthias at Jul 23, 2009,
I was getting tired of only playing electric. Having to plug in. Carrying all this heavy gear to whatever room in my house it was I wanted to play in. Plus I realized girls aren't impressed when I play megadeth songs, including the solos, but they go crazy when I play some NeverShoutNever on my acoustic.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
because acoustic music is more beautiful in every way than electric music.
Quote by glosoli
because acoustic music is more beautiful in every way than electric music.

I disagree.

Acoustic music is not ALWAYS more beautiful than electric music in every way.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
I figured it would be better to learn on acoustic.

Now I play it more than electric because it's more fun to play by yourself
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by migueltherocker

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder then my point stands, as I behold it to be so.
I was bassist in at least 4 bands that were all going nowhere. I was tired of having little say in the musical direction of the songs because its hard to write on bass. And i was tired of practicing bass and not being able to play coffee houses.

Playing acoustic was the jump start to my understanding of theory, it improved my musicianship, it even helped my bass skills. It also is a way to write songs and be able to perform them if u can play with your band. Acoustic music can be as complex and interesting as electric and is an interesting world to dwelve into.

plus, it too my Girl game from a C to a B +,
whip out wonderwall and the girls clothes practically fall off,
My dad played acoustic rather moderately, enough to play a sing some simple tunes. The beautiful sounds that an acoustic could make drew me to it. I'm now better than my father
Well, I started learning on a Classical, as it's easier on the fingertips. Then once comfortable with chord changes, and various picking techniques... I built up callouses on a steel-string. I play acoustic for portability... plus simplicity of set up, being that there's no amp, cables etc. But, I also play electric... it just depends on what type of music I'm playing. For example, hammer-ons and pull-offs are easier on electric... and so are barre chords. But strumming and certain ways of picking sound better on acoustic. It all depends on personal taste, and what genre your playing. But I just love the sound of a good acoustic... strumming away outside in a park, sitting in the shade playing whatever I feel like... that experience is un-rivaled by any other, in my opinion.

edit: Also, I don't know who brought it up, but who ever thinks electric is better than acoustic, or the other way around... is completely ignorant. Also, I've actually met people who say that acoustic is for 'beginners'. And soon afterwards they met my wrath, it's a very foolish and ignorant thing to say. 6 strings, 12 - 22 frets... and a human hand are all the same. Regardless of whether you plug it in or not. A person actually said "When are you going to be ready for electric?" and I replied, "What do you mean?" He said "Well when will you be 'good' enough for electric?" I just straight up snapped on him, people were staring, people were wondering whats going on, but I didn't care! I can't stand such blatant ignorance... and what's worse... is that this was a grown man! He said, "well acoustic is for country, and country is just chords!" Well, what the hell are the other 11 frets for on an acoustic if all it's meant for is open chords... I'm still pissed to this day that people think that.
Last edited by fngrstylgtr at Jul 28, 2009,
I started on electric. A true classic rocker.

Eventually, I started hearing more and more acoustic guitars in the tunes I liked - Zeppelin, Heart, and the like. I heard the intro section of "Crazy On You" and thought how much I'd like to sound like that. I learned of Jimmy Page's interest and influences in guys like Bert Jansch. Then I got into Lindsey Buckingham, and that was when I finally realized "Holy shit. Acoustic guitars are twice as cool as electric guitars."

I still play mostly electric, but the acoustic will always be the cooler instrument to me. I do all composing on acoustics. They're very natural, I think, with a decided minimalism to them. And I find the tone of a good acoustic guitar second to none.
^ That's beautiful

I totally agree though, the sound of a good acoustic being played by someone competant is one of the most beautiful things in the world (that's right string symphonies, you lose to awesome acoustic guitars!)
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Because it was easy to sound good early
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
"Because it was easy to sound good early"

Haha, it's people like you that make all these discrepancies about acoustic guitars! I could say the same thing about electric, I know you've seen those 13 year old kids pick up any old electric and play smoke on the water riff
Quote by glosoli
If beauty is in the eye of the beholder then my point stands, as I behold it to be so.

/fail

I started learning on electric, but im saving up for a fairly cheap acoustic guitar, no real reason, just to experiment i guess.
And because of TENACIOUS D!!!1!1!1!1!1
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
My brother started to selflearn guitar on a €30 classical. Half a year later he bought a westernstyle €80 guitar. Both weren't good, but it was all we had around.

I had been playing the trombone at first, for about 2 years back when he bought the western. When he did that he didn't use the classical anymore, so I picked it up to learn it myself. Later i bought an electric guitar and continued on that one. When my brother bought his electic one he 'gave/ bored' the western to me, and I had it on my room to play with.

I liked the raw, hard but clean sound of the steel strings, and acoustic is indeed a much purer way of playing guitar. It has been said before and I agree with that.

Now I'm having the western serviced so I can take it with me on vacation next week . Since I've brought it away to the store last week i've looked up some acoustic songs. I can play the acoustic version of layla by eric clapton since last year or so, but now I want to learn more acoustic stuff. I'm working on classical gas right now
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Last edited by yottaMax at Aug 3, 2009,
Why I started playing guitar?
I played my friends Guitar Hero(STFU!) and it felt great. I felt like rockstar so I wanted to try the real thing and bought the cheapest guitar I could find, learnt some chords. Also I somehow started noticing how guitar solos and acoustic rhytm guitars sounded beutiful; that might've pushed me into learning.

Why acoustic?
I started out with a classical guitar and after 6 months bought an electric one; I had some fun with it but I ended up selling it later when I bought a decent acoustic and decided I don't need anything else
Last edited by mike88 at Aug 3, 2009,
Well, I play my electric acousticly quite ofte.. if that counts xD

Even though it's always within 2 meters reach, always plugged in, and ready to go.. DOn't get you guys bragging about needing to plug your guitars oO

Started because of I heard some of my friends jamming, and well, I needed a replacement to gaming.
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
Quote by fngrstylgtr

Haha, it's people like you that make all these discrepancies about acoustic guitars! I could say the same thing about electric, I know you've seen those 13 year old kids pick up any old electric and play smoke on the water riff

Well I mean, to use those 13 year old smoke on the water kids as an example, they are most likely will have a bad tone for the song: to clean, to overdriven, ect, and being that you can only adjust tone to some degree on an acoustic any song you play on an acoustic sounds closer to the original, then it would on electric... Keep in mind i'm coming down from a high right now so if that doesnt make sence i apologise
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by captivate
Don Ross, Antoine Dufour, and Andy McKee were great inspirations.

For me, acoustic guitar was just easier. I find having to plug in a giant pain in the ass. The convenience of just being able to pick it up and play was very appealing. As well, the acoustic guitar was also a bit more high-brow in my mind.

I know I haven't been in this forum for a while (You weren't a mod when I was a regular) but man, sorry 'bout your loss on the guitar.
Pot
Kettle
Black
minimalism
purity
it just plain feels right

it also helps that i primarily listen to lo-fi indie/folk and coffee house
Quote by fngrstylgtr

Nah, you strike a chord on an acoustic, and it'll sound halfway decent no matter what. You strike a chord on an electric and you're running through a crappy amp it'll still sound bad. Acoustic tone is easier and cheaper to get than electric tone.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Page 1 of 2