ok so in the technique section, "anchoring" is looked down upon.
but I have been watching a lot of professional players lately on guitarplayer and magazines and watched H.A.A.R.P Muse live, and it seems that they anchor to play some riffs...

So anything the question is..
Is anchoring that bad of a habit?

edit: I've also just watched a lesson on alternate picking with Michael Angelo who is known for alternate picking and he actually suggests anchoring.. so..? idk.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Last edited by mattbellamee at Jul 23, 2009,
honestly dude, i'd say its all based on whats most comfortable for you. I don't think how it looks when you play something matters all that much, its just what we hear. If anchoring is more comfortable for you when you play certain licks, then go for it.
I thought so too until I read the stickies. Just broke the habit of anchoring though. But if a pro suggests anchoring I think i shall regain the habit
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Every guitarist prefers a certain approach to anchoring. Shawn Lane and Paul Gilbert, for example, don't anchor the pick. Jon Petrucci, and Michael Angelo Batio do the opposite. All of them are great players, and each one has his own preference. Do what you think is comfortable for you.
Have you done a search or even looked at the sticky? Believe it or not this is not an original topic.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I would suggest reading the sticky at the top of this forum.

Anchoring while playing = decreased speed potential, extremely restricted picking motion, and a chance to experience carpal tunnel/tendonitis as a result of poor form.

If you want to anchor, fine. No one is going to force you otherwise. I would, however, look up Steve Morse and John Petrucci as two anchoring guitarists who have suffered injuries to their body as a result of their bad habits.

...just DON'T anchor.
I thought so too until I read the stickies. Just broke the habit of anchoring though. But if a pro suggests anchoring I think i shall regain the habit

And if a pro recommends you don't, will you lose it again? You can't flip flop, there's too much advice out there. Read the sticky, think, make up your mind, don't make anchoring threads.