Page 1 of 3
I need a new laptop for college. I'm doing graphic design so a good processor is necessary, and I'm looking at these two:

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv4-1220us NoteBook AMD Turion X2 RM-72(2.10GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon HD 3200 - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - Gateway T-6345U NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR2 667 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100 - Laptops / Notebooks

The gateway is cheaper, but I really haven't heard much about gateways lately so maybe that's not a good thing. The HP looks good though. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Or could you recommend a laptop around the 500-600$ price range better than these two?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
macbook is for you

out of THOSE 2, get the HP, but just know that HP cannot make laptops for ****. they make good desktops, but my last laptop was an HP... it caught fire. thats all that needs to be said about that horrible piece of crap. I wont be the first or last person to tell you how bad HP laptops are either. they have a horrible reputation and their customer service is bottom of the barrel. after i tried to get my laptop replaced under warranty because the laptop caught fire and the ram melted because of VERY inadequate heat dissipating equipment inside the laptop, HP however claimed they did not cover fire damage. i got stuck with a $1200 bill. you will regret buying HP laptops. either get a Sony Vaio or a Macbook. i got the macbook and haven't looked back. its pricey, but it's worth it.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 23, 2009,
I don't, but I love how the title is worded.

Short, sweet, and to the point.

I like that.
i have an hp pavillion. i think its one step up from the link. its a very good computer. i havent
had a single hardware issue in two years.

its very well put together and tough. it doesnt get too hot. the screen is very nice. i would recommend it.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
macbook is for you

out of THOSE 2, get the HP, but just know that HP cannot make laptops for ****. they make good desktops, but my last laptop was an HP... it caught fire. thats all that needs to be said about that horrible piece of crap.

The cheapest macbook is $1000, and that's their worst model. I can get a pc with much more power for a whole lot less, it's just finding the right one.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
The cheapest macbook is $1000, and that's their worst model. I can get a pc with much more power for a whole lot less, it's just finding the right one.

that's PC fanboy talk, don't disregard a computer because of its OS. you can get the same equipment for less on a cheap no name brand like MDG, but it will not be put together as well, and you will not get american based customer service. also the cheapest macbook is a VERY good computer, and is priced below $1000
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
that's PC fanboy talk, don't disregard a computer because of its company. you can get the same equipment for less on a cheap no name brand like MDG, but it will not be put together as well, and you will not get american based customer service. also the cheapest macbook is a VERY good computer, and is priced below $1000

actually, that will cost him an extra $250...
Quote by Zugunruhe
actually, that will cost him an extra $250...

huh? you don't even have to CALL them, you take it to an Apple Store and they can solve your problem on the spot (usually unless its a big error) at the "Genius Bar". I took an ipod that i had dropped, and messed up, to the apple store, and since it was covered under it's warranty FULLY (the one that comes with it), they packed mine up, sent it off to get fixed and gave me a brand new one right there on the spot.

If you're talking about purchasing an extended warranty, he will pay that much for ALL computers. you'd be stupid to not buy an extended warranty on any kind of computer.
Umm, I am a Mac fan, but I can buy an HP with better specs than a low end MacBook for about $800... The OS doesn't make a whole lot of difference when it comes down to actually using the computer
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
that's PC fanboy talk, don't disregard a computer because of its OS. you can get the same equipment for less on a cheap no name brand like MDG, but it will not be put together as well, and you will not get american based customer service. also the cheapest macbook is a VERY good computer, and is priced below $1000

He quite fucking obviously doesn't want a macbook.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Last edited by titsmcgee852 at Jul 23, 2009,
^plus one.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
huh? you don't even have to CALL them, you take it to an Apple Store and they can solve your problem on the spot (usually unless its a big error) at the "Genius Bar". I took an ipod that i had dropped, and messed up, to the apple store, and since it was covered under it's warranty FULLY (the one that comes with it), they packed mine up, sent it off to get fixed and gave me a brand new one right there on the spot.

If you're talking about purchasing an extended warranty, he will pay that much for ALL computers. you'd be stupid to not buy an extended warranty on any kind of computer.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html
TS in order to maintain peace in this thread since obviously the mere mention of "Mac" around here gets people riled up, have a look at a Sony Vaio laptop. from personal experience there is no way i could recommend someone an HP laptop and still be able to sleep at night.
Lt, look back at the thread. youre the only one who got riled up.
Quote by Zugunruhe
Lt, look back at the thread. youre the only one who got riled up.

I didn't get riled up, i made a suggestion, what the **** are you talking about.

take the suggestion, or ignore it. It's not a big deal.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
just know that HP cannot make laptops for ****.

i disgree. i've had my hp laptop, used it everyday for the past 5 years and have never had a single problem out of it.

Quote by Zugunruhe
i have an hp pavillion. i think its one step up from the link. its a very good computer. i havent

its very well put together and tough. it doesnt get too hot. the screen is very nice. i would recommend it.

this is my post, but instead of 2 years insert 5...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I didn't get riled up, i made a suggestion, what the **** are you talking about.

take the suggestion, or ignore it. It's not a big deal.

whatever dude, of course you did.

on topic, that hp has twice the ram of the other for only 150 bucks more, and its a really good computer. if you can afford it, definitely go for the more powerful computer.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

the thing is the cheapest macbook has a 13" screen, 2 gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive, and a 2.13 Ghz processor...and yea it's below $1000. on apples website it's listed for $999 lol

i bought a Sony Vaio a few months ago for $666 (awesome i know) i got a laptop with a 15" screen, 3 gigs of ram, 240 gig hard drive, and a 2.0 Ghz processor. i'd say it's the better computer for the type of work i do, and i saved myself nearly $340.

now i'll admit that my graphics card is nowhere near the one on the macbook, so my computer wouldn't be ideal for graphic design, but for a $1000 you can defiantly get one with a good enough video card.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
the thing is the cheapest macbook has a 13" screen, 2 gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive, and a 2.13 Ghz processor...and yea it's below $1000. on apples website it's listed for $999 lol

i bought a Sony Vaio a few months ago for $666 (awesome i know) i got a laptop with a 15" screen, 3 gigs of ram, 240 gig hard drive, and a 2.0 Ghz processor. i'd say it's the better computer for the type of work i do, and i saved myself nearly $340.

now i'll admit that my graphics card is nowhere near the one on the macbook, so my computer wouldn't be ideal for graphic design, but for a $1000 you can defiantly get one with a good enough video card.

This. +1

that's why i also mentioned the sony. they are the only windows based computer worth buying, unless you have the technical skill to build your own. Sony is the only windows brand i know of that doesn't suffer from vicious overheating (HP), spontaneous mother board crashes (Toshiba), crappy parts (dell), bait and switch marketing (also dell), etc. the only other one i know of is IBM. i've still got an IBM aptiva from 1995 that works as good as it did the day we bought it (from $3800.... ) however you wont find one of them in this price range.

TS, i stand by the macbook since you're doing graphics work, but i also highly (and ONLY) recommend a Sony Vaio if you keep with windows.
I know its not one of the ones you mentioned, but I've been very impressed by the laptops ASUS is marketing these days.

I bought one and the customer service and support has actually been great, their staff is knowledgable and has actually helped me with problems as opposed to telling me to do obvious things I already know about.

they also charge very little for what they're putting in there, and power wise, they're one of the best values I've been able to find. I got my Asus G50Vt for like $850, and its got 4 GB ram, a decent processor (I forget the specs), and a GeForce 9800 GS -- not the flashiest, but for the price, its the best deal I could find out there, and it can handle most things I throw at it.

mainly the low prices are a result of the fact that they produce a lot of the parts themselves, and thus throw out the need for middle men. ASUS is a company that, if you didnt know, builds a lot of motherboards and parts for other companies.

there are cheaper ones out there than mine, and I seriously recommend them, if only for their support (which is free 24/7 and a 1-800 number), Not sure if theyre staff is in the US, but It seems to me like they might be, and regardless, they have been very helpful to me several times.

I know I sound like a salesman, but search my username, Im not, and have posted here for awhile, Im just a satisfied customer.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Jul 23, 2009,
Personally I second the MacBook suggestion. I'm not going to divulge into why though because I'm going to sleep soon and don't want to get into an argument.

Anyway, personally, with personal experience with HP Pavilions and my cousin's experience with a Gateway, I wouldn't touch either. Plus the specs on both aren't that good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
This. +1

that's why i also mentioned the sony. they are the only windows based computer worth buying, unless you have the technical skill to build your own. Sony is the only windows brand i know of that doesn't suffer from vicious overheating (HP), spontaneous mother board crashes (Toshiba), crappy parts (dell), bait and switch marketing (also dell), etc. the only other one i know of is IBM. i've still got an IBM aptiva from 1995 that works as good as it did the day we bought it (from $3800.... ) however you wont find one of them in this price range.

TS, i stand by the macbook since you're doing graphics work, but i also highly (and ONLY) recommend a Sony Vaio if you keep with windows.

Well how does this look?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9370165&type=product&id=1218093001336

I also haven't heard anything too bad about dell. They have some good deals on their site where I can get a cheap computer but switch the processor for a better one and add $50 or so to the price.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by Zugunruhe

Same here... got an HP Pavillion DV6 at office depot last week ($700) and it's one of the nicest laptops i've used. It's fast and is pretty useful as a desktop replacement. It hardly ever heats up on the inside any more than the heat that is caused by my hands on it... that is unless u have it on top of a pillow or something in which it can't get air circulation. Also it looks incredible and has all i need.

I know u were recommended a Sony Vaio, but imho it won't be much better. In fact it's probably gonna be behind the pack in this price category since they tend to be overpriced imo.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by clincher09

I also haven't heard anything too bad about dell. They have some good deals on their site where I can get a cheap computer but switch the processor for a better one and add $50 or so to the price.

this is going to be an example of bait and switch advertising. you will call them up, and ask about their fantastic deal (this is the bait) they will then say things like "that computer is just the base model, its not very good, what you need to do is upgrade this for $20 more, and this for $15 more, and this for $40 more, etc etc etc" (this is the switch) dell and MDG are notorious for this shoddy marketing practice. it lures people who are just looking for a computer exactly like what they saw, into buying something they didn't want for a lot more money.

that link you posted looks decent, but not what you want for your needs

the problem with it is the processor . you will probably want a core 2 duo processor for graphics work. what other ones can you find? always look for core 2 duo when you're doing graphics work. it'll make it a hell of a lot easier. these days a dual core shouldn't be much more expensive. they get expensive when you start looking at Quad core computers.
Quote by clincher09
Well how does this look?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9370165&type=product&id=1218093001336

On the linked laptop; As someone with a computer with an Intel integrated chip; you honestly expect an Intel integrated GPU to work well for graphic design?

Also the processor is a Pentium Dual-core, nowhere near as powerful as a C2D.

Quote by necrosis1193
On the linked laptop; As someone with a computer with an Intel integrated chip; you honestly expect an Intel integrated GPU to work well for graphic design?

Also the processor is a Pentium Dual-core, nowhere near as powerful as a C2D.

Well I did start this thread because I'm not really computer savvy when it comes down to processor brands. Also, even though I'm doing graphic design I won't be needing a professional level laptop, I will do the really high quality stuff on the school's computers and use my laptop for smaller projects.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
Well I did start this thread because I'm not really computer savvy when it comes down to processor brands. Also, even though I'm doing graphic design I won't be needing a professional level laptop, I will do the really high quality stuff on the school's computers and use my laptop for smaller projects.

even still, i would go for a C2D like the other guy said. the extra power is infinitely beneficial for graphics work. you will end up getting quite frustrated without it.

EDIT: the whole "dual core" name is also very misleading. it sounds like it's the same product as a C2D, but they're not on the same level at all.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
this is going to be an example of bait and switch advertising. you will call them up, and ask about their fantastic deal (this is the bait) they will then say things like "that computer is just the base model, its not very good, what you need to do is upgrade this for $20 more, and this for $15 more, and this for $40 more, etc etc etc" (this is the switch) dell and MDG are notorious for this shoddy marketing practice. it lures people who are just looking for a computer exactly like what they saw, into buying something they didn't want for a lot more money.

that link you posted looks decent, but not what you want for your needs

the problem with it is the processor . you will probably want a core 2 duo processor for graphics work. what other ones can you find? always look for core 2 duo when you're doing graphics work. it'll make it a hell of a lot easier. these days a dual core shouldn't be much more expensive. they get expensive when you start looking at Quad core computers.

Yeah I am aware that they try to do that but I also know enough to not pay for stuff I don't need. I'm looking at it all online, I can get an Inspiron 15, upgrade the cpu to a core 2 duo, and it comes with 3 gb of ram and it's $564.

EDIT: So I'm guessing C2D is the lowest I'll want to go dealing with the cpu?

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Last edited by clincher09 at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by clincher09
Yeah I am aware that they try to do that but I also know enough to not pay for stuff I don't need. I'm looking at it all online, I can get an Inspiron 15, upgrade the cpu to a core 2 duo, and it comes with 3 gb of ram and it's $564.

that sounds like a pretty good deal, its just... dell, i have large amounts of prejudice for dell.
Quote by clincher09

Well, how advanced are we talking on your laptop? Because mine lags with an Intel integrated chipset on some of the stuff a modern laptop should do fine.

And insert what Shinysides said about the C2D-Pentium DC stuff here.

Edit; As for the Dell stuff, I have no experience with their laptops, just the desktop my mother bought without asking if I would build her one(Which I can and would've), but just know that if anything goes wrong you're at the mercy of The Pit, Dell's tech support is absolutely horrid.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by clincher09

EDIT: So I'm guessing C2D is the lowest I'll want to go dealing with the cpu?

you COULD swing a dual core, but you wouldn't want to. C2D isn't "low" at all, it's very powerful. C2D powered computers will be the most expensive in your budget range. outside of C2D there are quad core computers, but they are insanely expensive.
I don't know if you're a Dell hater, but I am going into graphic design for college as well (just graduated from high school) and I got a Dell Studio. I think it's around $600, not sure because I got it as a gift. But it runs at 2.4 GHz and has a 500GB hard drive (which is way more space than I'll ever need, but hey why not have tons and tons of hard drive space?)

It's a nice computer though, I am quite happy with it.
YEAH
I own the HP, It works great for me but it tends to get hot at times so look out for that, but I've only have had a couple of months and there hasn't been any hardware failures and it runs fast enough.
As long as the Jeff Beck album I'm listening to and heading off at the end of is still going, I'm just going to drop this to make a point about my utter hatred for AMD processors;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto

Dated yes, but seeing as I have a good nose and the AMD-powered laptops always smell of smoke to me, I'd say it's still accurate.

This is what i mentioned earlier... i got it another $100 cheaper since it was on special when i went in (was originally gonna get it at best buy but this one wasn't modded in specs like best buy does).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you COULD swing a dual core, but you wouldn't want to. C2D isn't "low" at all, it's very powerful. C2D powered computers will be the most expensive in your budget range. outside of C2D there are quad core computers, but they are insanely expensive.

Yeah I guess I worded that weird, I didn't really mean "low" as in bad, just the minimum I would want.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
Yeah I guess I worded that weird, I didn't really mean "low" as in bad, just the minimum I would want.

Well, again, how complex is the stuff you need it to do, whats the most powerful editing app you usually use, etc.?

Quote by necrosis1193
As long as the Jeff Beck album I'm listening to and heading off at the end of is still going, I'm just going to drop this to make a point about my utter hatred for AMD processors;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto

Dated yes, but seeing as I have a good nose and the AMD-powered laptops always smell of smoke to me, I'd say it's still accurate.

LOOOOL

the "made in malaysia" imprint is all you ever need to know to realise AMD is utter ****. why do high end computers not come with AMD processors? because they're rubbish.
Id go for the HP.
I've had two where I work (department got some monies, so we all got upgrades=p) and I run so much on its, stupid. so there's an incredible amount of demand for it and its never let me down.
And if you're budgeting, as most people have said, get the better spec lappy and not a low end mac. If you can wait and save some more, look into the high end macs. but for now, HP it.
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, again, how complex is the stuff you need it to do, whats the most powerful editing app you usually use, etc.?

Most likely just Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Page 1 of 3