I feel that I would get a better question in here than GGA. So I was wondering, why do instrument cables break? I just looked at the ends of my broken cable, and everything looks normal. Does this mean that replacing the connectors won't fix it?
Usually somewhere inside the wire splits or comes apart. That's why you have to be careful when you fold them away.

Also, you can sometimes seperate the jack from the wire if, for instance, you tread on the cable and move whilst playing. That's one of the reasons you should hook the wire through your cable rather than just letting it dangle to the floor.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
the pixies inside the cables tat pass the information through it die, so the information can't pass through. shame really. they're all so friendly.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by Mr.Feather
the pixies inside the cables tat pass the information through it die, so the information can't pass through. shame really. they're all so friendly.

*Sigged*
If it can fit though.

TS, open up your cable, see if any of the solder connections are broken.
..I was watching my death.

yup
sometimes it can be fixed
Quote by newaccount
why do instrument cables break?
repetitive, sharp bends in a localized region.
work hardening.
loss of ductility.
hydrogen embrittlement.
fracture.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by timbit2006
*Sigged*
If it can fit though.

Damnit to hell, I wanted to sig that. Now I can't.

Common issue for cables breaking:
Kinks in the cable while in use.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Many times its the shielding braid near the jack thats breaks. There might be a few unbroken strands left but not enough to conduct well. Solution is to cut it back and resolder to the jack. Only thing is it next week it will be the other end, and your cable gets shorter and shorter.

Best bet in the end is to go lay out the cash and buy some good cables with a warranty, mogami, monster etc.
Quote by Tackleberry
Many times its the shielding braid near the jack thats breaks. There might be a few unbroken strands left but not enough to conduct well. Solution is to cut it back and resolder to the jack. Only thing is it next week it will be the other end, and your cable gets shorter and shorter.

Best bet in the end is to go lay out the cash and buy some good cables with a warranty, mogami, monster etc.

I disagree. It's much more cost effective to make your own cables, pending you buy decent cable (Mogami) and connectors (Switchcraft, Neutrik) and know how to solder. If you know what you're doing, you can make better quality cables for a fraction of the cost. Another bonus is you can make your cables exactly how long you want them.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6