no, not that sort

i bought a bass at last, last week. im loving it. as i cant continually afford a teacher at the moment, i bought the hal leonard bass method book, as it seemed from reviews it has the most content.

i have one issue i need to ask a question bout

for fretting the 3rd fret, it says to use 4th finger (pinky). coming from a guitar background (not a long background though) i would use my 3rd finger. ive gathered from bass videos that most would use that, as in, 1 for 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3, etc.

is this correct? is it preference?

cheers in advance
It's mostly preference, whatever feels more comfortable for you should be the best method. It's like using your pinky or 4th finger when playing powerchords on guitar.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

normally I use 1 finger each fret.
But sometimes when you go up a string I tend to use another finger for the same fret. Barring on a bass sucks.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
*looks at title* sex thread...

*reads op* I am dissapoint...

so this isn't spam, it's seen as preference but I always think that one finger per fret is the better technique to have.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It's all personal preference, but if you use the one finger per fret rule, it can help you play more economically and you can keep playing for longer without getting tired.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
thanks

sorry to disappoint with the title :P

i;m gonna try stick with one per fret
This is the one issue I have with the Hal Leonard series. The start you off learning the Simandl method and then move later on the book to the one finger per fret.

Unless your 8 years old and have really small fingers (and I mean, really small) one finger per fret is probably a better optino.
Pinky for 3rd fret? That doesn't make alot of sense to me...unles you're doubling up or playing a chord or something.
Quote by anarkee
This is the one issue I have with the Hal Leonard series. The start you off learning the Simandl method and then move later on the book to the one finger per fret.

Unless your 8 years old and have really small fingers (and I mean, really small) one finger per fret is probably a better optino.

thanks. as i am not 8, and i have longish fingers, guess ill stick to one per fret then

any other issues with hal leonard books i should know about?

cheers
IDK about the book. 1 finger per 1+ fret with me. When doing major 3rds I'll sometimes use my index and little finger if I don't use my middle and index.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Other than that one issue, the Hal Leonard series are quite solid. I will warn you that book three will throw quite a few "advanced" topics in one volume, but many bass teachers use them as the foundation for their classes. I've worked through Mel Bay, Progressive and Hal Leonard, and I think Hal Leonard is the best of the three major series.
1 finger per fret will get you started in the right direction imo.

But now I finger how ever I want if im not playing something fast/physcially demanding
no sig for joo
Well i personally like too stick one finger in at a time until i hit her... oops lulz

no seriously all this stuff is just personal. Same really goes for every instrument. There is the right way and then there is an alternate way. Someone can be a legend using either form.
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
thanks.

glad to hear this book is good planning to use it till i can afford a teacher on a consistant basis. and hopefully they'll use it

thanks
2 fingers, in and up.

And it's all about what works for you personally.