For all the brand names in amps...

Can you tell me in a few sentences what they specialize in, their signature tone, how they differ from other brands, their pros and cons...

and of course if you dont have experience or knowledge on whichever one just skip it.

Fender
Marshall
Orange
Vox
Mesa boogie
Peavey
Roland
Hiwatt
Budda
Crate
Krank
Kustom
Hughes & Kettner
Laney
Line 6
Randall
Traynor
Rivera
Rogue
Bugera
B-52

...of course I dont know all brands so I may have missed a lot lol

Thanks!
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Jul 23, 2009,
Ok, i'll give ya a few.

FENDER: Specialty: Real chimey cleans and blusey overdrive (although this depends on the model really). Probably the best cleans on any mass produced amp on the market. Don't ever go for Fender if you want high gain such as metal sounds because you'll be highly disappointed! Stay away from solid state models such as the FM(Frontman) series and Metalhead

MARSHALL: Famous for their overdriven tones which make up most of the classic rock scene. Nearly every band used or still uses Marshall at some stage and there is a good reason for this. Their signature tone is a rich crunchy overdrive. Generally they aren't the best on cleans. Models such as the JCM800 or the JTM series are the real cream of the crop (IMO) but avoid anything with MG or AVT written on it as these will severly disappoint.

ORANGE: Often said yo be the company that Marshall "looks up to". They kind of take up where Marshall left off with rich crunchy sounds and plenty of gain on tap particularly with the rockerverb and thunderverb series. Often voiced even darker than Marshalls with generally slightly nicer cleans although not nearly as rich and Chimey as a clean Fender. Modles to avoid are the majority of the crush series. This is the company that pioneered tube driven effects loops

VOX: Listen to the likes of Queen, Rory Gallagher and the Rolling Stones and you should get an idea what Vox are all about. The AC30 is the real flagship of the brand with it's harmonic rich mid gain crunch. You won't get very high gain with an AC30 without a boost but what you do get is an epic overdrive with a gorgeous sparkly clean channel with a bit more darkness in it than a Fender. Possibly the best cleans i've ever played. Vox also make a modeling series of amps called the AD series which really are quite good at what they do. There aren't really Vox amps that you should avoid, they all tend to be pretty good
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
thanks that was great.
If only a few more people reply would be nice
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Bossman123
Ok, i'll give ya a few.

FENDER: Specialty: Real chimey cleans and blusey overdrive (although this depends on the model really). Probably the best cleans on any mass produced amp on the market. Don't ever go for Fender if you want high gain such as metal sounds because you'll be highly disappointed! Stay away from solid state models such as the FM(Frontman) series and Metalhead

The EVH 5150 III is made by fender, I guess it isn't high gain enough for you

MARSHALL: Famous for their overdriven tones which make up most of the classic rock scene. Nearly every band used or still uses Marshall at some stage and there is a good reason for this. Their signature tone is a rich crunchy overdrive. Generally they aren't the best on cleans. Models such as the JCM800 or the JTM series are the real cream of the crop (IMO) but avoid anything with MG or AVT written on it as these will severly disappoint.

Marshall Major is one of the cleanest amps around, same for the Super Leads

ORANGE: Often said yo be the company that Marshall "looks up to". They kind of take up where Marshall left off with rich crunchy sounds and plenty of gain on tap particularly with the rockerverb and thunderverb series. Often voiced even darker than Marshalls with generally slightly nicer cleans although not nearly as rich and Chimey as a clean Fender. Modles to avoid are the majority of the crush series. This is the company that pioneered tube driven effects loops

I don't think orange sounds anything like Marshall, the few I've tried are much darker and fizzier sounding

VOX: Listen to the likes of Queen, Rory Gallagher and the Rolling Stones and you should get an idea what Vox are all about. The AC30 is the real flagship of the brand with it's harmonic rich mid gain crunch. You won't get very high gain with an AC30 without a boost but what you do get is an epic overdrive with a gorgeous sparkly clean channel with a bit more darkness in it than a Fender. Possibly the best cleans i've ever played. Vox also make a modeling series of amps called the AD series which really are quite good at what they do. There aren't really Vox amps that you should avoid, they all tend to be pretty good

The stones used tweed fenders if I'm not mistaken

Not trying to rag on you, just pointing out you can't generalize amp companies.

TS, if you want info on specific amps we can help you. The name on the amp doesn't matter, what matters is it can get your sound.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well, I would like to think that you CAN generalize amps to an extend which is really all I need ..I dont need like extreme detailed description.
but ya i know what you are talking about.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Some of the smaller companies you can, like splawn, and you can generalize the build quality on most of the smaller companies, but big companies like Peavey, Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Crate, etc make a huge range of amps for pretty much any sound you want.

Hell, probably the two best amps fender makes is the tweed deluxe or deluxe reverb reissue and the EVH 5150 III and those amps are miles apart.
oh ya, is the deluxe reverb reissue handwired? or no
cuz i was looking into that one for a while cuz i know it was sweet

also, if I ever were to play metal, would i be able to on a fender amp with pedals on the clean channel?
cuz the od channel IMO isnt all that gainy
27mMoV31II7.a2
If you're mainly playing metal I'd stay away from any fender but the EVH 5150. I doubt the DRRI is handwired, it's probably made in mexico.

If you want suggestions on amps or something theres a much easier way to do it.

Budget?
New, used, both?
Location? (for pricing and used gear)
Tones you're after, wanna be similar to, just plain like?
Genres you're gonna be playing?
Gigging, bedroom practice (if so, how loud do you plan on playing?), both?

Fender - epitome of the 'American' voicing, IMO. Have a wide range of tones, from the raunch of a tweed Deluxe (Neil Young's tone) to the cleans of the Twin Reverb. The Fender Bassman is hugely important, it lead to the Marshall JTM45.
Marshall - the classic British overdrive tones. The JTM45, Plexi, JCM800 and 18 watter's are all amp classics. Huge range of sounds, from sweet cleans (18 watter) to metal (JCM900)
Orange - British voiced. Mostly dark, and kind of fuzzy. Good for blues and classic rock, and have been used for metal.
Vox - made the classic AC30. British voiced. Bright cleans, smooth overdrive. Very nice. Brian May and Rory Gallagher both used the AC30.
Mesa boogie - Started out with a modified Bassman in a Princeton combo. Started the high gain amp era with cascaded gain stages.
Peavey - Wide range of tones. The Classic series is supposed to be Voxy, the Windsor is supposed to be like a JCM800. Famous for the 5150/6505, and to a lesser extent the XXX and JSX.
Roland - Make the Jazz Chorus. Very famous. Nice cleans. SS.
Hiwatt - British. Used by all sorts of people, off the to of my head, David Gilmour & Pete Townshend used 'em.
Budda - The Superdrive is Marshally. I don't know much about them.
Crate - Make the V series, which is really the only amp of theirs I'm really familiar with. The Palomino series with new tubes and speaker is supposed to be a very sweet Marshall clone.
Krank - high-gain metal amps. Not really familiar with 'em. Some people hate them, some love 'em.
Kustom - The '36 Coupe is supposed to be a pretty good metal amp.
Hughes & Kettner - Not familiar with them.
Laney - Don't know too much.
Line 6 - Vetta is very nice modeller. The Spider series is not good. Flextone is good.
Randall - metal amps. Don't know much
Traynor - YBA series is a Bassman clone. YCV series is nice.
Rivera - Don't know much.
Bugera - make cheaper clones of amps, like the 5150, XXX, JCM900, and Plexi.
B-52 - Decent cheap metal amps. Supposedly slightly Mesa-ish.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Not trying to rag on you, just pointing out you can't generalize amp companies.

TS, if you want info on specific amps we can help you. The name on the amp doesn't matter, what matters is it can get your sound.

Honestly this is the first time i've heard of Fender making an EVH model, i shouldn't have said don't EVER go Fender for high gain but for the most part they aren't good for metal amps and anyway the EVH isn't exactly a Fender, yes it's made by fender but in the same way as Blackheart is made by Crate. As for the Marshalls i've never been in any way astounded by their cleans and i did say GENERALLY they don't have the best cleans i didn't say there are no Marshall amps which have good cleans. And as for Orange, i have a Rocker 30 and i do believe that it sounds like a Marshall only darker as i said.

As for the Rolling Stones...You win on that one
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
^And like I said, I wasn't trying to rag on you, more so I was making the point to the TS not to generalize amps. You can generalize amp brands, but it does you no good. The name on the amp isn't what makes it good/bad, it's the way it sounds in the end.