I think I might be finally getting an electric guitar this weekend. Im getting a Vox Valvetronix amp, and I looked at the amp effects list, and I was astounded. From being a rocker stuck on an acoustic for many months to an amp like that will be great. Im sure I will spend atleast the first 2 weeks after I get it playing around with effects and making cool sounds.
How long did you guys spend playing around with your electric when you first got it?
Quote by Anonymoos
2seconds:
1. play clean
2. press overdrive button

Is that..... all it had?
Play clean, twist gain knob.
It was an Orange Crush 10.
I didn't need effects when i was 8.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
4 years and counting
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Is that..... all it had?

That's what most tube (great) amps have.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Congratulations on your future gear Best of wishes with it!

When I first bought my little modeling amp a couple years back, I didn't really have a clue how to use the effects' parameters or really function them at all. I know for certain that I abused wah, though =\
Although at the moment, I'm getting back into experimentation, though I only use effects in a very subtle manner, really to achieve a certain tonality or tone colour for a particular purpose. A hint of chorus, delay (of whatever variety suits), reverb, overdrive, can really spice up a tone, especially with some good EQing. That's the way I like to use effects, personally - I'm currently in love with a British voiced model, mid gain, with a hint of fast delay and reverb; deliciously quacky!
still am. ive got 4 of them and don't stop playing with them.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by juckfush
Congratulations on your future gear Best of wishes with it!

When I first bought my little modeling amp a couple years back, I didn't really have a clue how to use the effects' parameters or really function them at all. I know for certain that I abused wah, though =\
Although at the moment, I'm getting back into experimentation, though I only use effects in a very subtle manner, really to achieve a certain tonality or tone colour for a particular purpose. A hint of chorus, delay (of whatever variety suits), reverb, overdrive, can really spice up a tone, especially with some good EQing. That's the way I like to use effects, personally - I'm currently in love with a British voiced model, mid gain, with a hint of fast delay and reverb; deliciously quacky!

Thanks, although the guitar im getting is only a Squier..... A decent one though. Getting a good amp is more important to me. I cannot wait to try the Phaser and Distortion.
74mins and 36secs.

I went through a phase where i timed everything i did
Quote by fly fly fly
As a great man once said, "I'm tired of these mother****ing wallmasters in this mother****ing temple"

Fucking Wallmasters
Its definately fun to see what possibilites are possible, and I havent stopped fooling around with effects yet.

Its also good to get used to adjusting the bass, treble, and mids, as it really affects your sound.

Have fun bro!
I've never had an amp with built in effects. So I just played with effects if and when I bought them When you've got a cranked Orange though, you don't really care too much about not having a bunch of effects ^-^
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Dookie92
Its definately fun to see what possibilites are possible, and I havent stopped fooling around with effects yet.

Its also good to get used to adjusting the bass, treble, and mids, as it really affects your sound.

Have fun bro!

Whats a good standard setting for them. All at 5? Because I have no idea how to use them well, so I'll just play it safe for now.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Thanks, although the guitar im getting is only a Squier..... A decent one though. Getting a good amp is more important to me. I cannot wait to try the Phaser and Distortion.

Bah, I played a Squier for three years before upgrading! They really aren't as bad as many people make out, especially if you're able to snag a decent one! And congratulations anyway! It'll be a day to remember, for sure.

And Kurapica, if you're still here, how are Oranges anyway? I've heard so many great things about them, though unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to play through one. I'm definitely getting into more British voiced tones, mind. Thanks in advance if you're able to respond!

EDIT: To the TS, keeping your EQ parameters at mid point would probably be best. It's here that there's no frequency cancellation or any other form of dictation of the parameters over one another. Have yourself a decent listen, and adjust your bands according to what you want to hear.
You'll probably have somebody else come along with better advice, however.
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 23, 2009,
I'm in the Orange Crush-boat... Just an overdrive knob, but I can spend hours searching for a great sound with my multifx and Boss in combination with the overdrive (although only used slightly, gain on 8 level for gain on 4) I get some pretty interesting sounds, that when listened to the day later, actually sound like a mosquito stuck in horsecrap

It makes up a bit for having the WORST (really!) guitar in the world, especially (sp?) if you don't have a clear view on when you will get a new one...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Last edited by poipoi at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by juckfush

And Kurapica, if you're still here, how are Oranges anyway? I've heard so many great things about them, though unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to play through one. I'm definitely getting into more British voiced tones, mind. Thanks in advance if you're able to respond!

On the whole, they're great Depending on what style of English voicing you want, depends on the model, but the Rocker 30 has a heavy English grunt. I find it sounds kind of 70's but kind of modern at the same time. Fits evenly within rock (heavy and beyond) and indie and punk. Perfect for me really. The lack of an EQ on the clean was a bit of a pain in the ass, but I've recently bought an EQ, so when I get back to England I'll try that out.

If you're into anything from Led Zeppelin to The Cribs, you're in the right ball park.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
On the whole, they're great Depending on what style of English voicing you want, depends on the model, but the Rocker 30 has a heavy English grunt. I find it sounds kind of 70's but kind of modern at the same time. Fits evenly within rock (heavy and beyond) and indie and punk. Perfect for me really. The lack of an EQ on the clean was a bit of a pain in the ass, but I've recently bought an EQ, so when I get back to England I'll try that out.

If you're into anything from Led Zeppelin to The Cribs, you're in the right ball park.

Cheers for your input, champ. =]
It's only recently that I've taken a liking to lower gain British voicings, really, and Oranges have been revered for so long for delivering the goods. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try some models in the future.
How are the cleans, by the way? A lot of what I write lends heavily to jazz fusion, so I'm just a tad curious is all. =]

Thanks again for your input!
Quote by juckfush
Cheers for your input, champ. =]
It's only recently that I've taken a liking to lower gain British voicings, really, and Oranges have been revered for so long for delivering the goods. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try some models in the future.
How are the cleans, by the way? A lot of what I write lends heavily to jazz fusion, so I'm just a tad curious is all. =]

Thanks again for your input!

Depends on the model, but always above average (in terms of nice valve amps, this is). My rocker sounds quite nice if you put it with a nice guitar and will probably really respond nicely to an EQ. If you're more focused on cleans and low gain British voicings, look into the AD series. They should be right up your street.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

took about three days and a blown fuse to get my head around my nova system, and it's supposed to be significantly less complicated than the g system. fml.
I'm still playing around with my EQ, and it's only 5 bands.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I'm using my G Major each day for about an hours use so yeah I don't think i'll ever stop messing with the settings.
The vox valvetronix has a secret effect hidden in it... O: If you save the same preset on both the banks , you can use the channel selector button as a killswitch.
i don`t agree with modelling amps, but i play with my stomp box settings all the time, so it depends on what the song requires.
I had it for about 2 months and I sold it for a Vox AC4TV.

One simple reason: boring amp.

It does everything, but does nothing good. Everything sounds SS IMO.

I rather have an all tube amp for about the same price and later have fun with pedals.
I agree, slamming a stompbox has a much better feel of satisfaction. May cost more but it will sound loads better.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
About a minute, cuz then i realized that i didn't have any money, and i didn't really care. too many effects ruin it. the only ones i might want to try are wah and Flange.
I always tweak over my settings, its' a phase you hardly get out of at least now a days. Between EQ, distortion, reverb, delay, and chorus available to me through either onboard amp effects and stomp boxes always makes me want to tweak sounds ever so slightly or make a cartoonish sound out of one of my stompboxes.

I've played through valvetronix and they are pretty much a good way to find what kind of amps you might like an deffects you might like. Good beginner amp but you shouldn't gig with one, in my opinion borrow a friends tube amp if you have a friend with one should the situation arise.
Around a year, then I got rid of the modeling and got a simple volume tone amp, three fuzz pedals and an od (no more than three pots on each).

Tried to make it simpler to just plug and play, but now I'm playing with the circuits and guts of everything