To be short-winded,

I can't afford an AC15 due to stuff going on in life. I'll keep saving for one, but between recording gear to build the home studio I'm working on, a new computer, a new guitar and saving for a car, I'd prefer not to. I'd consider the AC4, but in addition to being too quiet for my needs, I like at least a treble and bass control.

So, basically, I'm looking for something that sounds like a Vox for less than a Vox. Pricerange is $400, but I can stretch to $500 if need-be, albeit I'd prefer not to.

Requirements;

~Combo. I don't have a cab, an unless it's a reasonably sized halfstack, I don't fancy carrying around a head and a cab to an from practice and gigs.

~No less than 15W, no more than 40. I'm not looking to play anywhere too large, a local bar at most, and I want to be able to put the tubes to their sweetspot without drowning the rest of my band and the crowd in volume.

~Tubes. The only SS amps I like are voiced wrong for my current needs.

~Needs to sound like a brick wall. To explain this odd analogy, let me use another, easier-to-understand analogy. To me a guitar is like a hammer, and an amp is like a wall. You can have as nice a hammer/guitar as you want, doesn't matter if you have a small wall of Styrofoam to break/an amp that sounds horrid. It'll still come out feeling like a waste of a quality hammer/good guitar. If however you go Thor/Jimi and create thunder and lightning/beautiful(Or at least to me) guitar voodoo with it, then you can get something done. To me, my Blues Jr. sounds like it's conforming. It's blending with my sound, moving with me. This is well and good for a lot of things, but for what I want, I need something that puts up a fight, something that bites back. I want my guitar to play nice and smoothly, but my amp to sound like it's fighting with me; screaming highs, booming lows and a sturdy midrange that all bite along with me and my guitar, which is the kind of feel I get from a cranked AC15 dialed just right.

~British voiced, preferably more to the Vox-like British side, but if you think something more Marshally will get the job done, I'm open.

And yes I can go used as long as I have some time to get the cash.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 23, 2009,
A Laney VC15/30 ?

They're "The poor man's AC30" and are a fairly cost effective of getting that Voxy, British tone.

Or you could go for a used AC15.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Last edited by Stuarttt-1 at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Stuarttt-1
A Laney VC15/30 ?

They're "The poor man's AC30" and are a fairly cost effective of getting that Voxy, British tone.

Or you could go for a used AC15.

I agree 100% with this, you won't get better AC30 on a budget than a Laney VC30
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
After listening to some clips, when I head to work on August 2nd(When I start work at a local guitar shop), I'll be sure to have something large for breakfast so I can try one during lunch. Much appreciated.

Edit; The Laney is the same price as the AC15. I need something cheaper.

^Damn. Here in the UK it's considerably cheaper. Even the VC30's cheaper than Vox AC15.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Huh. That's odd, they're about the same in the US...even moreso I now wish I was British rather than American...Well, any other suggestions?

Quote by necrosis1193

Edit; The Laney is the same price as the AC15. I need something cheaper.

That's because you live in America. Your best bet is to look used, or look for a British voiced amp that's cheap in America, like a Crate V-18 or something. The problem is, most British voiced amps sound more like Marshalls than Voxes, unless you buy a Vox.
I searched eBay and saw a used Vox Ac15 for $450 buy it now. I'd grab that if you can.
Used Peavey classic 30, the cleans are somewhat voxy, when OD'n it sounds similar to an AC30, the OD channel sound much more Marshally to me than Voxy, but you might like it, give it a try, they are probably the best "working musicains" amps around.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by greggybhoy
That's because you live in America. Your best bet is to look used, or look for a British voiced amp that's cheap in America, like a Crate V-18 or something. The problem is, most British voiced amps sound more like Marshalls than Voxes, unless you buy a Vox.

+1 to the Crate V-Series, the cleans are very Voxy. The drive sucks though, so get an OD you like.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
an AC15 isnt just a 15w AC30 though, it has it's differences.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by greggybhoy

I actually did consider one of the Palomino V amps at a time, though sadly they're now discontinued, or at least in the US, not sure about the UK.

Quote by AdamDK
I searched eBay and saw a used Vox Ac15 for $450 buy it now. I'd grab that if you can.

I don't have $450. I have $200($50 of which is already pretty much vouched to a used SM57), I'm getting the numbers for my budget via guessing my profits in August based on the average of my profits this month and the two prior.

Quote by stykerwolf
You can't go wrong with craigslist in the us really. And ^^ for the 450 buck AC15

I unfortunately don't have a license, and everyone in my family other than me(Ergo everyone who could drive me to the pickup/swap locations) is yet to lose the paranoia brought on by The Craigslist Killer.

Quote by Johnbryant
Used Peavey classic 30, the cleans are somewhat voxy, when OD'n it sounds similar to an AC30, the OD channel sound much more Marshally to me than Voxy, but you might like it, give it a try, they are probably the best "working musicains" amps around.

It's kind of funny from a live-and-learn point of view, the day I got the Blues Jr, before buying it I plugged into a Classic 30, but it wouldn't make any noise because one of the power tubes had blown earlier that morning on the floor model. Could've avoided all this if I had better luck...I suppose what is is though. Will definitely try a Classic 30 next time I go somewhere though, they've always been a consideration sitting in the back of my head.

Quote by dudey5691
Crate Vintage Club... their take on the AC.

Are we still allowed to do Ebay links?

There are also some 50w version available, but I figured I'd just post this one.

Will keep an eye on that one, albeit for aforementioned reasons I can't quite afford the BuyItNow(Though all things considered I'm very much willing to beg relatives for the last $25).

Quote by Rhoads_1096
You could find a used AC15 in your budget no problem.

Been looking for those. Haven't found any that garnered my attention locally.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
an AC15 isnt just a 15w AC30 though, it has it's differences.

When did I assume it was? If I could afford an AC30 I would; while I do like the more woody sound of the AC15, at the same time the AC30 is one of my absolute dreams amp-wise. That being said though, I like the sound of the AC15 and it's much more what I'm looking for than my Blues Jr. is.

Quote by necrosis1193
When did I assume it was? If I could afford an AC30 I would; while I do like the more woody sound of the AC15, at the same time the AC30 is one of my absolute dreams amp-wise. That being said though, I like the sound of the AC15 and it's much more what I'm looking for than my Blues Jr. is.

0_o k den. just thought i'd throw it out there
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Edit; ^I like it, though there are few used Peaveys around here. I'll definitely keep an eye open for one if it ever pops up though.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
0_o k den. just thought i'd throw it out there

Alright then. Apologies if I overreacted a bit, I just got up a few minutes ago and I'm a jackass before breakfast.

Maybe try to sell your Blues Junior? That would give you a fair bit of cash, unless you wanna keep it around.

And the Crate Vintage Club series would be your best bet, IMO, as far as Vox-on-a-budget goes.

What about the Vox Night Train?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Maybe try to sell your Blues Junior? That would give you a fair bit of cash, unless you wanna keep it around.

And the Crate Vintage Club series would be your best bet, IMO, as far as Vox-on-a-budget goes.

I'm a packrat, so I have difficulty with that. It may work though if I can get a good enough amp as the light at the end of the tunnel. As for the Club, looking into it still.

What about the Vox Night Train?

Well, I don't use reverb that much, nor would I put the tremolo to much use...that may work, albeit I'd need an extension cable of some sort to use my Blues Jr. as a cab since it doesn't include one(I've already tried using it as a cab before, the cable's too short).