Hey everyone! I was just wondering, since I play guitar like most of you lot, would it help me to learn music theory if I learn piano? Because I seem to be getting the hang of knowing how chords are made. (Feel free to correct me if I am not right at this part). If I'm right, major chords are formed from root notes, in this case I'll pick A. Then the Major Third is 4 steps from that which is a C. Then the Major Fifth is 3 steps from that which is a D#. And to make a minor chord you pick a root, I'll pick A again. Then the Minor Third is 3 steps from that which is a B#. Then Minor Fifth is 4 steps from that which is a D#.

So basicly is this right or wrong? And will piano help me with learning theory?
Quote by Fieryhead
Hey everyone! I was just wondering, since I play guitar like most of you lot, would it help me to learn music theory if I learn piano? Because I seem to be getting the hang of knowing how chords are made. (Feel free to correct me if I am not right at this part). If I'm right, major chords are formed from root notes, in this case I'll pick A. Then the Major Third is 4 steps from that which is a C. Then the Major Fifth is 3 steps from that which is a D#. And to make a minor chord you pick a root, I'll pick A again. Then the Minor Third is 3 steps from that which is a B#. Then Minor Fifth is 4 steps from that which is a D#.

So basicly is this right or wrong? And will piano help me with learning theory?

this isnt the best way to think about it, learn your scales. then the major third will be the 3rd of the A major scale and the minor third will be the third of the A minor scale.

Edit: and thats wrong anyway, a step is 2 frets, a halfstep is a fret.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Fieryhead
If I'm right, major chords are formed from root notes, in this case I'll pick A. Then the Major Third is 4 steps from that which is a C. Then the Major Fifth is 3 steps from that which is a D#. And to make a minor chord you pick a root, I'll pick A again. Then the Minor Third is 3 steps from that which is a B#. Then Minor Fifth is 4 steps from that which is a D#.
You're very close - I think its just your terminology thats gone slightly wonky. For both Major and minor chords you have a perfect 5th, so a Major chord is R,3,5 and a minor chord is R,b3,5

Its worth looking at the intervals between the notes, as well as what scale degrees they are -

A Major chord is a Maj 3rd (the interval from R to 3) with a minor 3rd (the interval from 3 to 5) on top - R 3 5

A minor chord is a min 3rd (the interval from R to b3) with a Major 3rd on top (the interval from b3 to 5) on top - R b3 5

A diminished chord is a min 3rd (the interval from R to b3) with another min 3rd (the interval from b3 to b5) on top - R b3 b5

Edit: a minor 3rd is 3 semitones/3 frets/1 and a half steps. I think you know how big it is, you're just calling semitones steps, whereas 'step' usually refers to a full tone
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by stephen_rettie
this isnt the best way to think about it, learn your scales. then the major third will be the 3rd of the A major scale and the minor third will be the third of the A minor scale.

Edit: and thats wrong anyway, a step is 2 frets, a halfstep is a fret.

Well thats what a guy said on a video... when i was bored watching it. & okay. I will learn scales
Zhilla covered it pretty well and there's one more. An augmented chord is made up of two major thirds.

R 3 +5

To learn more look up triads
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by blue_strat

My hero.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.