Page 1 of 3
Over time i have noticed how people have obsessions, or fetishes with certain countries or areas of countries, like how on St Paddy's day or if an Irish person walks into the room, suddenly everyone is Irish, even though they have about as much in them as they have donkey genes, so have you ever experienced someone being obsessed with your origins? Or are you obsessed with a certain nationality?

When i have been in another country, i don't think i have ever had anyone remark on the fact that i am English, but last time i went up north, me and my friends caught a cab, the guy went to us "because you guys are from London, i'll give you a discount", and another time, again, up North (in Liverpool this time), an older man stopped me in the street and told me i looked like something out of grease (at the time i had a sort of quiff thing), then we got into conversation, he told me he knew someone who lived in my area but they hung themselves, i wasn't entirely sure what to say to that.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I know what you mean, every time somebody hears I'm from Holland, the conversation immediately turns to drugs and how that's legal here... it's like an obsession..
Quote by Johnny skins
banned cause im fine because of your avatar! it blasts happyness everytime i see it!!

definitly the best avatar ever I=Cookie

Proud owner of the: I'm wearing clothes in the Pit! Group! Click here to join
Quote by donender
Over time i have noticed how people have obsessions, or fetishes with certain countries or areas of countries, like how on St Paddy's day or if an Irish person walks into the room, suddenly everyone is Irish, even though they have about as much in them as they have donkey genes, so have you ever experienced someone being obsessed with your origins? Or are you obsessed with a certain nationality?

When i have been in another country, i don't think i have ever had anyone remark on the fact that i am English, but last time i went up north, me and my friends caught a cab, the guy went to us "because you guys are from London, i'll give you a discount", and another time, again, up North (in Liverpool this time), an older man stopped me in the street and told me i looked like something out of grease (at the time i had a sort of quiff thing), then we got into conversation, he told me he knew someone who lived in my area but they hung themselves, i wasn't entirely sure what to say to that.

I can help get some irish into them
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Well, I'm Italian, but not from there. People automatically think I'm really impatient and I love eating which I'm neither of the two.
Americans seem to do it a lot with Irish and English people.

Never personally experienced, being British/German is not particularly exciting in Europe. Any Anglo/Teuto-philes on UG?
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Everyone has a bit of Welsh blood somewhere in their family - often grandfathers. Failing that, they've been on holiday there.

I find it charming really, I don't mind it, they're only trying to make you feel at home in their neck of the woods and often makes for a good conversation starter.
Quote by I=Cookie
I know what you mean, every time somebody hears I'm from Holland, the conversation immediately turns to drugs and how that's legal here... it's like an obsession..

Actually, it's not legal in the Netherlands....

But that is besides the point of this thread. Sorry.
My friend is obsessed with Canada and Australia. And my brother is obsessed with Jamaica. It's kind of scary.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
fortunately no one is obsessed with my blackness. and id like to keep it that way.

what bugs me is when people say im 1/10 irish and 1/10 hungarian and 1/10 italian and 1/10 swedish and so on..u all get what im sayin..

everyone is mixed. stop trying to sound cool. it sounds stupid. there is a max of 3.
for example..im black and panamanian..its over.
People are obsessed with my nationality

"OMFG say something in Soviet Russian!"

I, strangely, or perhaps because of how annoyed I am at people asking, find no fascination in hearing foreign phrases I don't understand. What's surprising is that even people from REALLY exotic locations that I could find on a map (say, Trinidad and Tobago) are still fascinated by russian.

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.
Quote by nikki82
fortunately no one is obsessed with my blackness. and id like to keep it that way.

People are obsessed with my whiteness

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by sashki
People are obsessed with my nationality

"OMFG say something in Soviet Russian!"

I, strangely, or perhaps because of how annoyed I am at people asking, find no fascination in hearing foreign phrases I don't understand. What's surprising is that even people from REALLY exotic locations that I could find on a map (say, Trinidad and Tobago) are still fascinated by russian.

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

you must run into a lot of morons..that would irritate me too.

when someone is from another country i usually just ask them what its like there..if they have family there..whats the government like? not how do you say bitch.
Quote by pwnerer
Actually, it's not legal in the Netherlands....

But that is besides the point of this thread. Sorry.

I know, it's "gedoogd" in other words, they look the other way if you have a little marihuana...
But everybody thinks it's legal... and everybody thinks we walk around all day smoking weed en being high all the time... that just plain weird...
Quote by Johnny skins
banned cause im fine because of your avatar! it blasts happyness everytime i see it!!

Quote by I=Cookie
I know, it's "gedoogd" in other words, they look the other way if you have a little marihuana...
But everybody thinks it's legal... and everybody thinks we walk around all day smoking weed en being high all the time... that just plain weird...

thats definately what most americans think about every european country
I've found that it's just Americans for the most part. They seem to cling on to the countries of their ancestors and claim to be of the same nationality despite the fact many have never been to that country.It's kind of laughable to us Europeans.

But yeah , I get special treatment sometimes because I'm Irish
what did bother me was that my sisters have spanish names and i didnt. thanks mom and dad. losers.
over here in australia, i get mobbed with people questioning me about being american. it works the same the other way too
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by nikki82
thats definately what most americans think about every european country

Weird.... may I ask why?
Quote by Johnny skins

Quote by Surfer Rosa
I've found that it's just Americans for the most part. They seem to cling on to the countries of their ancestors and claim to be of the same nationality despite the fact many have never been to that country.It's kind of laughable to us Europeans.

Yeah I always have a hearty lol at the Americans saying that they're Irish. It's like.. no you're not, listen to yourself.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by I=Cookie
Weird.... may I ask why?

i guess since drugs are illegal across the board here the druggies may think its legal everywhere in europe..like a fantasy..u should hear they way some americans talk about amsterdam..its ridiculous..makes u kinda want to punch them all in the throat.
Quote by nikki82
i guess since drugs are illegal across the board here the druggies may think its legal everywhere in europe..like a fantasy..u should hear they way some americans talk about amsterdam..its ridiculous..makes u kinda want to punch them all in the throat.

Drifting a little off topic here, but I find this very interesting...
Maybe a useless question, but I've always wondered why coffee and sigarettes and alcohol aren't forbidden as well... especially alcohol is considered a hard drug...

But.... if you punch them in the throat, at least they won't be able to smoke for a while
Quote by Johnny skins

Quote by I=Cookie
Drifting a little off topic here, but I find this very interesting...
Maybe a useless question, but I've always wondered why coffee and sigarettes and alcohol aren't forbidden as well... especially alcohol is considered a hard drug...

But.... if you punch them in the throat, at least they won't be able to smoke for a while

well there was prohibition back in the day..which pretty much lead to organized crime..so that didnt work out too well..but i dont know..makes me wonder when drug were made illegal because i have no idea...i personally dont do any drugs and have never even tried any..but i do think marijuana should be legal here..i think alcohol can be much worse
I think it'd be cool if I had english roots. but i don't so i'm not going to lie about it.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by nikki82
well there was prohibition back in the day..which pretty much lead to organized crime..so that didnt work out too well..but i dont know..makes me wonder when drug were made illegal because i have no idea...i personally dont do any drugs and have never even tried any..but i do think marijuana should be legal here..i think alcohol can be much worse

Don't know either...
I'm really not that into drugs anyways (besides my only bad habit, I smoke) I've seen to many people go down the drain because of it...

But I agree with you that alcohol can be much worse...
Quote by Johnny skins

When i went to Amsterdam they were pretty laid back with drug consumption, you could spark up a joint in a pub, then again, that was a couple of years ago, and even though it was fairly easy going, i wouldn't have gone up to a police officer and blow smoke in his face.

It wouldn't suprise me if you Dutch people get pretty tired of people coming over, getting completely trashed on more drugs and alcohol they can handle, and completely ignoring the culture outside of drugs.
WHOMP

Quote by I=Cookie
Don't know either...
I'm really not that into drugs anyways (besides my only bad habit, I smoke) I've seen to many people go down the drain because of it...

But I agree with you that alcohol can be much worse...

u dont hear about a lot of people in car accidents that kill people because they were smoking..a guy here killed a whole family 3 generations..hit them from behind on the highway they then hit a tree..killed the husband and wife..her mom and dad..and their two babies 3yr old and a 9 mos i think..that was sad..and ofcourse he was ok and took off running..ive never heard about anything like that with someone smoking weed

oh and on topic again..i dont find any of you people or your nationalities fascinating..
Quote by donender
It wouldn't suprise me if you Dutch people get pretty tired of English people coming over, getting completely trashed on more drugs and alcohol they can handle, and completely ignoring the culture outside of drugs.

It's impossible to deny that we have the WORST tourists in the world.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
It's impossible to deny that we have the WORST tourists in the world.

I hate having to agree with that, but its true, a few of my mates recently went on holiday to Kavos, which is basically the holiday spot for all English wankers, it looks like they had a great time and i would have gone if it wasn't for the other English tourists who were there.
WHOMP

I hate stereotypical english tourists. Bring shame on our nation. Like those guys who got arrested on a greek island for dressing up as nuns and getting wankered.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Quote by Surfer Rosa

It's understandable considering they don't really have their own rich cultural history.
I don't mind provided they stay coming over here and giving us money.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's understandable considering they don't really have their own rich cultural history.

so harsh, yet so true...
Quote by Rockstar12345
I went to America in 2001, and when my Dad started a conversation with some local, he was asked "Oh by the way, how are them Troubles going? People still getting shot every day on the street.?"

I was only 10 or 11, but I was astounded by their ignorance about Ireland. Many Floridans also claimed to be "Irish".
Quote by I=Cookie

I bet it's especially annoying because drugs technically aren't legal there. I know my old man gets annoyed when the subject gets raised.
Since I lived with quite a few Irish people, the accent began to rub off on me for a while. It annoyed the hell out of me when people would constantly go "Oh my god! You're Irish!".

Thank God I'm not actually Irish and I lost the Irish twang, I couldn't deal with that every day.
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
I'm half Irish (=/) and I have lived in Ireland for a short time before, and people go crazy when I tell them that. They're like, "No way! That's SO cool!" I'm like,"really.....".

Oh well, better than people thinking I'm Mexican all the time.

There was this German girl made fun of my accent every day in school years ago =(. I was kinda glad when I didn't have my accent anymore just so I wouldn't be made fun of.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
Last edited by Flippy Floppy at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I went to America in 2001, and when my Dad started a conversation with some local, he was asked "Oh by the way, how are them Troubles going? People still getting shot every day on the street.?"

I was only 10 or 11, but I was astounded by their ignorance about Ireland. Many Floridans also claimed to be "Irish".

That annoys the hell out of me. No wonder Irish people are defensive about thier nationality..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Flippy Floppy

There was this German girl made fun of my accent every day in school years ago =(. I was kinda glad when I didn't have my accent anymore just so I wouldn't be made fun of.

Should have told her that her accent sounds like typewriters eating tinfoil while being kicked down stairs.

If anyone can tell me who says that, they get a cookie, with chocolate chips.
WHOMP

Quote by nikki82
what did bother me was that my sisters have spanish names and i didnt. thanks mom and dad. losers.

"I'm going to name you Maria, and you Gabriella, and you my son will be named Nick!"

Your parents have a sense of humor on par with that of the Monty Python Troupe
Last edited by MercyfulFate505 at Jul 23, 2009,
Page 1 of 3