I have been playing for 3 months on a Squire P-Bass and i have learned 3 songs fully and a lot of bass lines and i don't know where to go and what to purchase. I own a 10 watt Fender Guitar amp, ODB-3 Bass Overdrive/distortion and a crybaby bass wah. I love effects and i want to play Stoner Rock and Punk.

What do I do now? I was thinking about buying a fender P-Bass or an Ibanez ATK300 bass.Also there is a band i know that wants me in and they are average and they play punk are there any punk bands that have sweet bass lines that aren't Rancid?

Thanks
if you've only been playing for 3 months, you really don't need a new bass. If you're thinking about joining a band, use that money for a better bass amp.
you will need a bass amp if you are planning on joining a band, or you won't even be heard in practices. until the amp dies.
EDIT: look into something second hand. possibly peavey or ashdown, or acoustic if you are in usa and maybe canada
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Haseoedge
Any amps that you can recommend?

You gonna need at least 200 Watts (Don't listen to people who say you don't, they're wrong, I can't emphasise this enough), 300 Watts is preferable for the extra head room, but you can get away with 200... just.

Look on the used market, Ashdown, Warwick and Peavey for a more modern tone. Ampeg, Orange for the more vintage sound.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Buy a bass amp seriously
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Haseoedge
How about this http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-MAX-115-Bass-Combo?sku=481445? I could probably get it in a month or two.

it's only 60 watts, I'd go and see what you can find second hand

Remember for bass the same volume needs approx. 2 times the power for ported combos/cabs and about 3 to 4 times for sealed designs
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Im amazed that playing a bass on it hasnt DESTROYED that 10 watt. The only thing you need now is a way better amp. Especially if your gonna play in a band. And when you put out money on an amp, you only want to do it once. You really do need something at least 200 watts. if your gonna be in a band
Quote by Haseoedge

What do I do now? I was thinking about buying a fender P-Bass or an Ibanez ATK300 bass.Also there is a band i know that wants me in and they are average and they play punk are there any punk bands that have sweet bass lines that aren't Rancid?

Thanks

Anti-Flag have some sweet basslines that are just pure brilliance to listen to and learn at the same time atm im learning the song turncoat its a nice bassline imo some really nice fills in the song.

Also some Green day songs lesser known ones like worry rock and a lot of their older stuff have nice basslines aswell.Most of their newer stuff just seems to fit with the guitar where as listen to a few old green day then some new and you will get wha im meaning.
Anti-Flag have great basslines, and great lyrics (see sig ). Listen to them, learn the basslines, become an activist!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Anti-Flag have great basslines, and great lyrics (see sig ). Listen to them, learn the basslines, become an activist!

Also Justin Sane and Chris #2 are 2 of the coolest people you could meet aswell as Chris's performance being one of the things leading me to learn bass cause of their energetic performances.

Still cant believe i shook both their hands and he asked me what you think of the show one of my friends nearly fainted xD
Quote by Disobey666
id say go for the P-Bass it has the best tone for playing punk

It's very commonly used, but it's up to each individual player to decide what's best
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Disobey666
id say go for the P-Bass it has the best tone for playing punk
But, even that's not going to sound that good out of TS's amp. I honestly believe that a new amp is undoubtedly what TS needs next.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
you really don't need 200 watts, i can be heard in my drop c# three piece alexisonfire/deftonesey type band with my 90 watt behringer but in my other band i needs to use my bassman.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus