Hey I know these threads come up a lot but...yeah I'm trying to learn to sing and play at the same time..I know its a whole right / left side of the brain separation thing that makes it difficult (like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time) but does anyone know any good non-guitar exercises I can use to practice more effectively?

Im just at work at the moment mouthing the lyrics to a song and tapping lightly to the guitar rhythm, but the two keep merging to each other - so either my tapping matches syllables on the song or vice versa!
Is this a good way to practice..or are there some better ways out there?
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Best thing is to make sure you are completely comfortable doing each part on its own before attempting them together. Get to the point where you really don't need to think about what you are playing.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by GreenDayChris
Best thing is to make sure you are completely comfortable doing each part on its own before attempting them together. Get to the point where you really don't need to think about what you are playing.

+1
this is pretty good advice - its how i learned to do it.
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
This is tough because I don't even know how I do it really. I just make sure I know the guitar part really well and the melody of the lyrics and then work on doing them at the same time. Eventually they both just fall into place- it will be frustrating but I've found that just working on it (practice like anything else) will get you there.
i wouldn't be able to sing at all had i not learned guitar, it just sort of started coming out feeling natural
Quote by PuppetMaster91
Hey I know these threads come up a lot but...yeah I'm trying to learn to sing and play at the same time..I know its a whole right / left side of the brain separation thing that makes it difficult (like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time) but does anyone know any good non-guitar exercises I can use to practice more effectively?

Im just at work at the moment mouthing the lyrics to a song and tapping lightly to the guitar rhythm, but the two keep merging to each other - so either my tapping matches syllables on the song or vice versa!
Is this a good way to practice..or are there some better ways out there?

Learn the guitar part first until you can play with your eyes closed... then bring the singing in...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
I feel that singing well while playing well is an underrated talent. Many musicians can do one or the other well and tend to use their stronger talent to make up for their weaker one.

Floyd is right, to be able to properly focus on the singing part, you need to be able to play the guitar part with your eyes closed.

This is terribly worded advice, but the simplest way i can explain it, is you just have to FEEL it. You can easily confuse/mess yourself up when you think about either part too much, so a perfect command of both parts is a must. Then its all about turning your head off and jamming.

Example of FEELIN it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1B9ktRCkg&feature=related