is a locking trem worth it in the long run, because my friend says they're a pain in the ass to setup/tune/restring, but to play songs, and solos by bands like pantera or van halen i would need a locking trem, and just wonderng if they are worth the hassle.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
That's all down to you really? For me the extra hassle was worth the extra range of things I could add to my playing, you've got to make that decision, weigh it up.

I can personally restring one very easily, probably just as quick as I restring a normal bridge, if you get a decent bridge, you won't have to tune that often, and tuning a locking trem is possibly easier than a normal trem, because of the tuning screws, however if you're dropping tunings, then yes little adjustments will have to be made every time you tune.
I bought one because i thought it would be cool. And yeah it was cool for a while but after some time i got annoyed so i sold it and got a new guitar without a trem. Now that i've gotten better i feel like i could utilize a floating trem more in my own original playing.

So i guess it all comes down to, are you serious about improving and mastering every aspect of your guitar playing. If you think that's the case then you should definitely get an original floyd rose.
thanks for the feedback, i'll weigh up my options like you said, and also it's wierd getting a serious answer if you've spent alot of time in the pit
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
What I do is keep my locking trem guitar in the tuning I use most, and I use my old strat to play songs in drop tunings.

If I was playing live and was doing lots of drop tunings, I would probably go with a standard bridge, what're your circumstances?
its up to you man. are you going to change tunings alot? i wouldnt buy it just because it has a trem. if you're going to use it, and you think it will be beneficial to your playing, then go for it, buddy.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
I bought one because i thought it would be cool. And yeah it was cool for a while but after some time i got annoyed so i sold it and got a new guitar without a trem. Now that i've gotten better i feel like i could utilize a floating trem more in my own original playing.

So i guess it all comes down to, are you serious about improving and mastering every aspect of your guitar playing. If you think that's the case then you should definitely get an original floyd rose.

well my first (only) electric is a fixed bridge, so i wouldnt have to buy another guitar if it wasnt for me, so thats a plus, because i can keep the locking trem in one tuning and use a fixed bridge for drop tunings
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
It Definitely depends on WHICH guitar.

some cheap floyd knock offs are garbage and will make you want to toss out the guitar.

so, when you're ready to buy, you need to think about budget.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

some cheap floyd knock offs are garbage and will make you want to toss out the guitar.

Ya this. Plenty of low end cheap guitars tend to use bridges that are made from crappy materials (rhythm in jump. dancing close to you anyone?) and will not be worth it in the long run.
Setup is a bit of a pain mainly because of intonation being tricky with a floyd (only type i've had the pleasure of intonating)

Tuning is awesome if you only use one type of tuning mostly (a good locking trem will hold tune beautifully, not really any better than locking tuners on a fixed bridge guitar but still), if you switch up a lot and on the fly then you will want to stay far away from them.

Restring, now this is something I don't understand why people whinge about. It's on par, if not a little slower (by like 10 seconds...) to change strings on a floyd compared to a TOM or whatever other simple fixed bridge. I don't get why people always complain about this...

I would rather not have a locking trem on my guitar after experiencing both worlds with my Jackson dk2m (LFR) and Ibanez RGR421EXFM (Ibanez strat style fixed). I tend to go from standard to drop D and lower a lot however and my Jackson's wore out after 6 months leaving me with a bit of a bias against them. I will be replacing the trem on it with a good quality floyd when I get the chance tho.

So... my advice is: Get a decent fixed bridge guitar first and then if you still want a floyd loaded one, get it later.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by James13v
Setup is a bit of a pain mainly because of intonation being tricky with a floyd (only type i've had the pleasure of intonating)

Tuning is awesome if you only use one type of tuning mostly (a good locking trem will hold tune beautifully, not really any better than locking tuners on a fixed bridge guitar but still), if you switch up a lot and on the fly then you will want to stay far away from them.

Restring, now this is something I don't understand why people whinge about. It's on par, if not a little slower (by like 10 seconds...) to change strings on a floyd compared to a TOM or whatever other simple fixed bridge. I don't get why people always complain about this...

I would rather not have a locking trem on my guitar after experiencing both worlds with my Jackson dk2m (LFR) and Ibanez RGR421EXFM (Ibanez strat style fixed). I tend to go from standard to drop D and lower a lot however and my Jackson's wore out after 6 months leaving me with a bit of a bias against them. I will be replacing the trem on it with a good quality floyd when I get the chance tho.

So... my advice is: Get a decent fixed bridge guitar first and then if you still want a floyd loaded one, get it later.

i've already got a fixed bridge guitar so if i find one with a floyd then i'll save up for that.

Also i'd like to thank everyone for the feedback, as it has been very helpful.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Oh well you could always buy a "Tremol-No". It's a device that enables you to use your floating bridge and then "lock" it into a "hard tail" mode in which you can easily change tunings. You should look into it.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Ya this. Plenty of low end cheap guitars tend to use bridges that are made from crappy materials (rhythm in jump. dancing close to you anyone?) and will not be worth it in the long run.

But that is the greatest guitar ever!

I want to name a song or an album that.
Whoever says that a floyd trem is a pain in the ass is because they haven't taken the time to educate themselves on how to properly setup one. Or they have a ****ty one that will really make you want to throw it out.

I for one don't use a whammy bar all that often, but I enjoy my guitars staying in tune forever!
Quote by MetalHead916
Whoever says that a floyd trem is a pain in the ass is because they haven't taken the time to educate themselves on how to properly setup one. Or they have a ****ty one that will really make you want to throw it out.

I for one don't use a whammy bar all that often, but I enjoy my guitars staying in tune forever!

Or they take the time to better themselves by learning to utilise alternative tunings frequently...

Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Oh well you could always buy a "Tremol-No". It's a device that enables you to use your floating bridge and then "lock" it into a "hard tail" mode in which you can easily change tunings. You should look into it.

I have a Tremol-No in my Jackson and it's great. It is not the same as a fixed bridge guitar however because you need to either replace the locking nut with a normal nut or continue keeping it locked. You still have a slight draw back of delay when changing tunings. It would be best to just get a fixed bridge guitar instead of blocking a locking trem one.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 23, 2009,
If you know how to use a Floyd Rose properly then alternate tunings aren't difficult at all. You just have to keep a AAA handy.
Quote by James13v
Or they take the time to better themselves by learning to utilise alternative tunings frequently...

I figured that's what his fixed bridge guitar is for....
I got a guitar with an original Floyd Rose so that I can do divebombs and all that stuff. I did not realize what a pain is the ass it would be. So far I haven't had to restring it, but I have had to tune it, and that was obnoxious. I don't plan on getting another guitar with a floating trem. But if you do get a guitar with a floating trem, have it tuned to the tuning you use most often, and have another guitar for other tunings. I have mine in Drop D, then my Epi's tuning i switch around. What guitar do you think you might get? Or have you not decided 100% on what you like?
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I have an Edge Zero which is one of the easiest trems to use, but I still say it's not worth it. It's not really a hassle but changing tunings is kind of a pain for someone like me who'll go to some crazy tuning to play one song for 5 minutes. But that's not why I say it's not worth it. They affect tone and sustain in a negative way because there's a huge hole in the body and the bridge doesn't have much contact with the body. The springs also don't help. They don't hold tuning better than locking tuners and properly wound strings will hold tuning almost as much. All you're really getting is the ability to do some whammy tricks, which gets old pretty fast.
if you're going to use it, and you won't be changing tunings too often, it's worth it.

Also

Quote by jj1565

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?