I play everything, from classic rock (guns n roses) to grunge to metal (metallica, iron maiden, lamb of god). Occasionally some blues. What's the best choice? Getting an Epiphone Les Paul std/custom this year.
Last edited by Anonymoos at Jul 23, 2009,
You need to try them. I don't like the Vyper and everyone raves about them. I think the cube is pretty decent though for SS.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I have the Cube but Ive never tried the Vyper, so if u want to ask anything about the Cube then go ahead
DO IT LIVE
Does the vypyr has something like the power squeezer? Because I get yelled at everyday for playing too loud
Oh and btw the power squeezer doesnt really do anything, it just puts the wattage lower but it doesnt noticeably affect sustain.
DO IT LIVE
I didn't like the Vypyr and went for the Cube. But you know why? Cause it's all bout taste. Other people swear by their Vypyrs.
And the Cube 30X does have a "Power Squeezer" button, which may help you out, but I personally cannot play electric guitar at lower volumes

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
I really like my Vypyr. I bought it because my Blues Deville is way too loud for the house at certain times. I know what a great amp sounds like and I know that the Vypyr can;t replace a tube amp. But, it does a good job with effects and variation of sounds. It is a fantastically versatile amp at a price you cannot beat.
i have the 15 watt vypyr and i think its awesome

you could probably get most of the tones you want out of it with one of the bigger wattages (they have extra effects)

but even with the 15 you can get a good blues, metal (metallica type, might need some of the extra effects or pedal for real heavy distortion), and rock tones
you brought a hooker to church?
I made this decision about a year ago. I wanted the Vypyr. Everyone who has one screams about how good it sounds. But then I heard too many people reporting too many problems with the Vypyr from hums and squeals to complete amp breakdown so I got the Cube.

I got a Roland Cube 30x. It has a power squeezer and a headphone feature. I could not do without it because I have to play at low volumes too. The only problem with the power squeezer is that it makes the amp sound kind of muddy. It sounds better to me if I just turn the volume down extremely extremely low. You can also hook up your ipod to play through it which I do a lot.

Sound: It's a $200 SS practice amp so there's no way it could every get close to the sounds of a $1000 tube amp, but it sounds ok. I just need it for practice so a sturdy, decent sounding amp with headphone/power squeezer is what I needed.

But if Peavey ever works out the problems with the Vypyr, then I'll definitely be checking it out. Some day.
Quote by GraceKim
I made this decision about a year ago. I wanted the Vypyr. Everyone who has one screams about how good it sounds. But then I heard too many people reporting too many problems with the Vypyr from hums and squeals to complete amp breakdown so I got the Cube.

I got a Roland Cube 30x. It has a power squeezer and a headphone feature. I could not do without it because I have to play at low volumes too. The only problem with the power squeezer is that it makes the amp sound kind of muddy. It sounds better to me if I just turn the volume down extremely extremely low. You can also hook up your ipod to play through it which I do a lot.

Sound: It's a $200 SS practice amp so there's no way it could every get close to the sounds of a $1000 tube amp, but it sounds ok. I just need it for practice so a sturdy, decent sounding amp with headphone/power squeezer is what I needed.

But if Peavey ever works out the problems with the Vypyr, then I'll definitely be checking it out. Some day.

alot of people have the 15w which DOESNT have the midi port so you can update the firmware..which is just stupid...but i love mine
Quote by Anonymoos
Does the vypyr has something like the power squeezer? Because I get yelled at everyday for playing too loud

I have the 75 watt vypyr. It does have a power squeezer. I dont think the 15 watt one does? I think the 30 watt one does, but im not 100% sure. On the Vypyr, it is called a power sponge.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Anonymoos

It does, but I think its only on the 75 and 100 W models and at those prices, you might as well just go tube and get a better amp.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Are you a beginner? If you are, get the Cube, trust me. It's one of the best low budget amps you can buy. It can play pretty much every style, and the power squeezer helps at night when my parents are home. I also love how I can play along with my ipod. Trust me, you can't go wrong with a cube.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Royal_Brick
Are you a beginner? If you are, get the Cube, trust me. It's one of the best low budget amps you can buy. It can play pretty much every style, and the power squeezer helps at night when my parents are home. I also love how I can play along with my ipod. Trust me, you can't go wrong with a cube.

the same could be said about the vypyr though too..

except it doesnt have a power squeezer..it has a headphone and an ipod/mp3 player jack though
Quote by ghostnineone

you could probably get most of the tones you want out of it with one of the bigger wattages (they have extra effects)

but even with the 15 you can get a good blues, metal (metallica type, might need some of the extra effects or pedal for real heavy distortion), and rock tones

With a proper guitar for metal, you certainly wouldn't need any sort of distortion pedal to get heavy distortion. I play my friend's ESP through a Vypyr 15 and it can get some crushing tones.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by Uranutan
With a proper guitar for metal, you certainly wouldn't need any sort of distortion pedal to get heavy distortion. I play my friend's ESP through a Vypyr 15 and it can get some crushing tones.

do you use the tubescreamer effect?
Quote by Anonymoos
Well I got a BC rich warlock so no proper guitar for anything , and this amp http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/harley_benton/hb-20g/index.html Well at least I learnt to play on it, and with the epi + the new amp I will finally get a decent tone.

bc rich isnt that terrible is it?

my $300 stagg sounds pretty good on my vypyr
Quote by ghostnineone
do you use the tubescreamer effect?

The stompbox parameters arent on the 15W version.

Powersponge is on the 75W and 100W versions with a 10%-100% control enabling "break up simulation" at lower volumes and the 75W and 100W both have usb ports.

Honestly, they aren't worth it.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Last edited by ~Shred Hero~ at Jul 23, 2009,
Honestly, with the gear I have now I get around 1-2 sec sustain for everything above the 13th fret
Last edited by Anonymoos at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
The stompbox parameters arent on the 15W version.

The 15w does have the Tubescreamer effect though. It's on the effects knob in place of the looper.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jul 23, 2009,
I have a Vypyr 30 n I love it. Not a digital sound but a more real sound. Only thing about it is if you keep your house cold the computer can be a little finicky on startup. Other than that I cannot complain with it at all.
Gear

30 Watt Peavey Vypyr

Peavey Reactor

Agile AL-3100 White w/ chrome hw

Seagull S6 Original
Quote by ghostnineone

If you can't get a heavier tone than metallica with a vypyr, you're doing it wrong.
i enjoy using my friends vypyr, the 30 watt version
you can pretty easily get a metallica tone from that amp

unfortunately i have no experience with the cube
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Why not buy a Fender Frontman and invest in a set of head phones
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm
Quote by lukegjpotter
Why not buy a Fender Frontman and invest in a set of head phones

i personally wouldnt get a frontman and i would invest in a good amp
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
I have had both of them, I went from the cube to the vyper and the vyper sounded way better to me. I play mostly metal with some punk once in while and it sounded great. I would definitely get the vyper. Also the vyper sounded better with active pick-ups then the cube did.
Quote by Pac_man0123
If you can't get a heavier tone than metallica with a vypyr, you're doing it wrong.

i have chinese made pickups though...
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well then that's your problem

they sound pretty good..

i dont get good distortion out of them though..(i could probably get a decent metal tone out of them)

but i dont really have $100 to spend on new pickups
I think that
Vypyrs are very good, but can be a tad un reliable
cubes are also very good but are very reliable

I have a VYPYR 75 btw
I guess both are nice
Try both out
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I've got a Cube, but havent played a VYPYR, but the cubes a good amp for its price. The power squeezers not great though, sounds quite muddy.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by dan ramP
I've got a Cube, but havent played a VYPYR, but the cubes a good amp for its price. The power squeezers not great though, sounds quite muddy.

You find it muddy too. I find that it sounds much better if you just put the volume extremely low. Either way it's still a good practice amp.
I have owned both a cube and a vypyr. I currently have a 75 watt vypyr. The vypry is a better sounding amp than the cube. The cube i had sounded way digital and not very rich. Dont get me wrong, i liked my cube, i used it alot when i had it. But to me, and if you want a modeling amp the vypyr is the way to go... Unless you are not into metal at all and dont want alot of gain, then you could maybe look at the vox vt.
Quote by Anonymoos
BTW Is the VOX VT30 any good?

They are good for almost anything but metal.