Hello everybody,

I have a question that moves me since long time:
Wheres the difference between Rock and Metal ?
Why do some songs just sound rocky and some sound really "metal" ?
I know there has to be a difference maybe in drums, or the guitar work or the speed of a song, but i cant really find that difference, so can somebody say me where to find the point that matters ?

Thx,

Bye
Usually metal is played at faster tempo's than rock and with more distortion. Metal also utalises chromatics and occasionally odd time signatures whereas rock tends to stick to fairly straght pentatonics or major/minor scales and basic 4/4 rhythmns(I'm talking about general rules of course there are a few exceptions). Metal tends to have harsher vocals (Although occasionally you find metal bands with vocalists that have an almost operatic quality) as well and a lot of metal bands use droptunings

EDIT: And what Metal GS3SE Said. This probably won't end well
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 23, 2009,
Rock has more emphasis on eighth notes at slower tempos and uses overdrive rather than distortion. Metal has more emphasis on sixteenth notes at faster tempos and uses a much heavier distortion. The tone of metal is also a lot more deep than rock.

FOr guitar work, rock is usually just a few chords played over and over with just a few riffs in between. In metal the guitar work is usually riffs rather than chords.
Quote by Nietsche
Usually metal is played at faster tempo's than rock and with more distortion. Metal also utalises chromatics and occasionally odd time signatures whereas rock tends to stick to fairly straght pentatonics or major/minor scales and basic 4/4 rhythmns(I'm talking about general rules of course there are a few exceptions). Metal tends to have harsher vocals (Although occasionally you find metal bands with vocalists that have an almost operatic quiality) as well and a lot of metal bands use droptunings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJvUbcC79A

I think that defies almost everything you said

Quote by Volvic

He said metal, not death metal. That's a bad example.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
a whole lot of things, guitarwise, the tone is more aggressive, phrasing is different, can be more complex, allows for the use of irregular keys and measures moreso then rock.
one of my major epiphanies with metal is that it doesnt always have to sound 'good' in fact it can be benificial for parts of a song to sound abbrassive so that other parts sound better in comparison.
it's hard to word actually, but in general i find metal to be more accomadating to experimentation these days. obviously there are rock bands thats push the envelope in terms of composition, but i see more metal bands trying new things.
i think metal IS rock. just performed the heaviest.. there isnt a fine line, just different methods used
Quote by MetalGS3SE

And he said rock, not blues-based hard rock. Sorry, my bad.
what they said...

thank god he didnt put this in the metal forum...*shudders*...
you brought a hooker to church?
Quote by Nietsche
Ballads don't count

. Just throwing it out there. My point was, a lot of people have the idea that all metal is just heavy, aggressive, angry music, and that's not always so. That is why this question is largely unanswerable, as most people differ on their definition of "metal" and "rock".

Quote by Volvic
And he said rock, not blues-based hard rock. Sorry, my bad.

No need to get defensive. I wasn't arguing genres. Led Zeppelin are, for the most part, a good example of rock music. But Cannibal Corpse is considered a fairly extreme form of metal, and therefore not a very good example to use for someone who doesn't really know the difference.

I P R O G

Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by MetalGS3SE
No need to get defensive. I wasn't arguing genres. Led Zeppelin are, for the most part, a good example of rock music. But Cannibal Corpse is considered a fairly extreme form of metal, and therefore not a very good example to use for someone who doesn't really know the difference.

Haha, yeh sarcasm comes out too often in me I really do need to stop that.

I get what ya saying though.. I was just tryign to make the point that not many people may know the differences in black and white, but just listen and judge by the sound of the track.
Metal is usually more aggressive. A lot of metal utilizes guitar harmonies and a lot of guitar solos. The dual guitar solos are a big trademark of metal. Rock is more blues-based than metal. But honestly they're very similar when it gets down to it. They're branches of the same tree.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJvUbcC79A

I think that defies almost everything you said

I think your example of 'metal' is a tad worse than his example. Ballads don't count as metal, even if they're played by a metal band. If someone asks you to give an example of a metal song, you're not supposed to give an example like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWH7c_PsHY ; until 1:41 that is, then the real metal part starts.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

There are bands that blur the line somewhat I suppose, and metal can't be pidgeon holed. Iron Maiden don't use BROOTALZ distortion and they are definetly metal. Personally, I would just say that metal is usually heavier sounding and gets the blood pumping
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by ItWillDo
I think your example of 'metal' is a tad worse than his example. Ballads don't count as metal, even if they're played by a metal band. If someone asks you to give an example of a metal song, you're not supposed to give an example like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWH7c_PsHY ; until 1:41 that is, then the real metal part starts.

Why is it not metal until 1:41? The intro is just as metal as any of it.

I P R O G

In a nutshell metal is more brutal and has influences in classical music
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Crazed Shredder
In a nutshell metal is more brutal and has influences in classical music

Right

Metal is rock. If you can't recognize the difference then listen to some old school tech death.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I think it all comes down to the amount of gain/distortion. As many hair metal bands in the 80's sound similar to the hard rock bands of the 70's, just more distortion and plam muting perhaps. Also to everyone who is saying complex time signatures and chromatics and such, many rock bands implement these without having that heavy sound. Metal was around for a while before bands like slayer introduced such aspects as strange keys, time signatures, phrasing, and scales. Earlier metal was all 4/4 and major/minor scale based.
In the ideas and roots of the music, basicly metal is supposed to be heavier, and possibly more aggressive than rock. But obviously both genres have changed and evolved alot since then, so now there is alot more differences, that people have mentioned.
Well, I think it takes base in the harmonies..

I'd say metal sounds more clean than rock.

I don't really know how exactly to express it, guess many people already somewhat explained it..

But try compareing a AC/DC track to Iron Maiden
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
1. Go to metal rec thread. Read list of bands.
2. Go to modern rock rec thread. Read list of bands.
3. Look up videos of said bands on Youtube.
4. ???
5. Profit.

I must say though, that unless you frequent the metal forum, it doesn't really matter if you know the difference between metal and rock. Music is music, and if you like it then coolio.

If you DO frequent the metal forum however, all I can say is; learn fast, or God help you.
its hard to find a strick definition of any genre really because somebody can always say "well what about this?". there will always be some crossover in any genre out there. you could find blues or country roots in some metal. generally speaking, metal is usually more agressive sounding. but metal is technically rock music. to me try to find where rock turns into metal is like trying to find when blues turns into blues rock. or when rock turns into hard rock. the problem is also that many bands have many musical tastes. for example, jimi hendrix's albums could have a mix of rock, blues, R&B, pop, phychedelic, or even hard rock. so if someone said he's a rock player, i could say well he plays blues. if someone says he plays blues, i could say he plays rock. PLUS, definitions change. look at guns n' roses and van halen. both are technically metal bands but they are played on classic rock stations and arent really considered metal by today's standards. hell, even bon jovi was a type of metal band (hair metal) and so was def leppard. but i doubt most people would call them metal these days.

so even if you found a definition of metal music, you could always find exceptions to that rule, even within a band. thats why i try not to think of genres too much. its all music.