I'm watching some recent videos of Avenged Sevenfold where Synyster Gates (yes, if you don't like a7x then please don't feel compelled to tell me that or how much you think they suck) has swapped his Dual Recs & Uberschalls for JCM800s, and his tone is very, very similar to what it was before.

I was always under the impression that Uberschalls were American voiced, I could be wrong. But if so, how can he change from American voiced amps to British voiced amps and have a very similar tone? Granted, youtube videos aren't very high quality usually and it's hard to hear subtle tone differences, but they still sound very similar.

I know he uses an SD1 on his pedalboard, but is there some pedal/EQ setting/something I'm missing here? I know that his use of vibrato and such makes up a big part of his tone, but his gear sounds pretty much the same. And there's not an Uberschall in sight.
and the video is live or is it a music video?
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Live. I had a look around the stage in case they just had the Marshalls on show and playing their old amps, but they appeared to be using the JCM800s.
they're probably dummies and they're using Uberschalls behind the scenes
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Maybe because tone really comes from the fingers?! You won't sound like him even if you play through his exact rig using his guitar and pick! That's why he sounds like him even though he's using a different amp!
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Quote by Sleazeball
Maybe because tone really comes from the fingers?! You won't sound like him even if you play through his exact rig using his guitar and pick! That's why he sounds like him even though he's using a different amp!

Ya, it takes a lot of time and practice to sound that horrible. Not to mention many hours spent writing the most hackneyed songs known to man.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You morons (above 2 posts) obviously didn't read the first post close enough. I acknowledge his use of vibrato and such being a large part of his sound but his GEAR sounds the same. And the post above this is an example of a totally useless post.

Yeah, tone comes from the fingers and whatever... yet your guitar doesn't make ANY sound unless you're playing through an amp, so give me a bit of credit.

Alf - That's what I thought, but there was no sign of Uberschalls around and they state they're using JCM800s exclusively for shows now.
Quote by tubetime86
Ya, it takes a lot of time and practice to sound that horrible. Not to mention many hours spent writing the most hackneyed songs known to man.

to be fair there is a lot worse **** out there than this band
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
And the post above this is an example of a totally useless post.

Agreed.
Quote by pmeg568c
to be fair there is a lot worse **** out there than this band

Also agreed. But what makes me mad is that Synester Gates (really? you had to change your name to sound more... synester?) is considered a guitar god by so many 13 year olds. I've actually seen them twice, and they are terrible live, absolutely terrible.

But, I know, I shouldn't have made a post just to bash, so here's some legitimate insight; I'm guessing he has $3,000 worth of rack gear that probably makes up more of his tone than his actual amp, but I have no real backing for this guess.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I thought Synyster Gayts used JVMs....
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Alf - That's what I thought, but there was no sign of Uberschalls around and they state they're using JCM800s exclusively for shows now.

they probably want an endorsement from Marshall to get more money
more popular brand = more money

and please stop posting here if the only thing you are gonna say is A7X sucks, i dont like them but i dont spam up this thread by only saying i hate them.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
they probably want an endorsement from Marshall to get more money
more popular brand = more money

and please stop posting here if the only thing you are gonna say is A7X sucks, i dont like them but i dont spam up this thread by only saying i hate them.

No one has... I did, but I realized that I shouldn't have so I put my two cents in with it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
That may be, but it still doesn't explain how he is managing the same (almost) sound from 2 completely differently voiced amplifiers.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
That may be, but it still doesn't explain how he is managing the same (almost) sound from 2 completely differently voiced amplifiers.

They show JCMs to get an endorsement but they actually use Uberschalls behind the scenes or they use rack gear like what Tubetime said.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
They show JCMs to get an endorsement but they actually use Uberschalls behind the scenes or they use rack gear like what Tubetime said.

Ya I hadn't thought of the endorsement angle, but they are a very commercialized band (yes, they are) so that is pretty likely. But I'd still bet he has a rack rig and just uses the 1960s cabs, with the heads on them for show.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by TheSlashman

Nope its JCM's

- In February 2009 Guitar World Mag, Gates said they got an endoresement from Marshall and are using JCM800's only

In February 2009 Guitar World mag, Zacky and Syn said they got endorsed by Marshall and are now using the JCM800 heads

As for how it sounds the same.. My bet is dummies or knowing them they are just blasting a recording of a previous show through the pa

But who knows man, it could just be there songs are there songs so you are recalling that on top of it being live so it records horrible and then its compressed through youtube. So all your really hearing is the song not really the nuances. Also take into account he does use a Krank Dirt Box for all we know he has been using that on his clean channel the whole time lol. Because his Uberschalls never really sounded like uberschalls to me in the first place.
i really cant stand this "tone is all fingers" arguement people put up. sorry, but no one's fingers can make a british voiced amp sound like an american voiced amp. fingers dont produce high gain/distortion, flanger, chorus, delay, or wah and whatever else people use.

saying "maybe its because tone really comes from the fingers!?" is giving too much credit to one aspect. if thats the case everyone should just play the cheapest possible First Act guitar while running an MG and a spider 3 in stereo. because its ALL in the fingers, right? so it doest matter if its an uberschall or JCM either, right? ugh, you get the point
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by IbanezPsycho
As for how it sounds the same.. My bet is dummies or knowing them they are just blasting a recording of a previous show through the pa

Based on the two shows I saw, this is entirely possible. They are one of those 'entertainer' bands. They seemed to focus way more on keeping that '80s hair metal persona up than playing well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by TheSlashman

Hahahahah, you said GAYts, that's funny man! Sneaky though, I'll give you that!
http://www.facebook.com/someofusneverdie

Check us out, we'd really appreciate any feedback or support.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Boss TU-2, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by Bright Light
play the cheapest possible First Act guitar while running an MG and a spider 3 in stereo.

That would probably sound pretty cool, seriously.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Haha, smartasses ^^ :P

Thanks for the help though guys. The Krank distortion pedal/rack/dummy ideas are all possible. I swear I saw a video a while back of him DEFINITELY playing through the JCM (like, it was a lesson or something, and you could see the guitar plugged in, but I haven't been able to find it since) and it still sounded like his usual sound, so it could be the pedal/s. He has the Krank one, a Big Muff, the Zakk Wylde OD and an SD1 that I know of, probably missed some out.
Well if that was the case they'd probably just use the same EQ settings as on their previous amps.

It's weird, has anyone else actually heard them? It could just be me hearing things.
I assume they're using new JCM800 reissues, not originals. So they'd run all their rack gear through the effects loop, thus removing 90+% of the Marshall sound, & running through the power stage only. Hey presto, you can make 2 radically different amps sound almost identical, just with 2 cables!