which has a crap floyd on it (cant remember which tr something), and i dont use it anyway. Should i block it off and keep the locking nut on, or use locking sperzel tuners and keep the nut, or use locking sperzel tuners and replace the nut with a earvana or something. Not getting another guitar because i really like the s series and it was only £130

i.e. will the guitar hold tune better with locking nut on or off?
Locking Nut = better tuning stability, regardless of bridge type.

If you don't plan on using the tremolo...
Keep the locking nut and block the trem

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Deny. Once the nut is locked, the strings go sharp. That's why double locking vibratos have fine tuners.
If you're keeping the FR bridge though, you can still use the locking nut.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Deny. Once the nut is locked, the strings go sharp. That's why double locking vibratos have fine tuners.

that's what I said, keep the locking nut, block the trem.

But of coarse, I didn't specify that you would need to use the fine tuners for future tuning after the nut is locked...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
My bad, I didn't see the last part of your post.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel

of course i realise i will use the fine tuners, but what im saying will this give me better tuning stability considering the bridge will be totally blocked off etc.
No foul, and actually you were right as well..

When I said..

Locking Nut = better tuning stability, regardless of bridge type.

The "regardless of bridge type" is wrong...
You would need the locking trem so you could use the fine tuners...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by Stupot1
of course i realise i will use the fine tuners, but what im saying will this give me better tuning stability considering the bridge will be totally blocked off etc.

Yes, that's the whole purpose of the locking nut, the only reason for it's existance.

As long as you keep the floyd rose copy, you can block it off, and keep the locking nut.

Actually, you will have amazing tuning stability with that setup.

Just realize you will use the fine tuners for for future tunings.
If you need major retuning (drop D or whatever), Unlock the nut and use the headstock tuners, then relock and use fine tuners.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 23, 2009,
Yes, that's the whole purpose of the locking nut, the only reason for it's existance.

Because...

Two of the biggest reasons for a guitar to go out of tune are.

1. When you wind the strings around the tuning pegs, there ends up being very minute amounts of "Slack" in those winds. And when you bend a string, that slack comes loose. then there is less tension on the string, and it goes flat.

2. Strings can get "Bound" or "Snagged" in the Slots on the Nut when you bend them.

Think about when you bend the string, it's pulling the string through the slot in the nut. If it snaggs on the nut slot when you release the string, then there is less tension on the string and it goes flat.

A locking Nut eliminates these 2 problems.

Locking Tuners also help with the 1st problem, they do not help with the 2nd problem though.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
ill give it a try

edit- well why dont they just make all guitar locking and put fine tuners on a tuneomatic bridge or something?
Last edited by Stupot1 at Jul 23, 2009,