I'm going to go with Marshell but I found this amp MG30DFX. Is it any good?
http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=125

It's a good price I'm looking for that price range because I'm spending some money on a pedal and a acoustic so I don't want to spend too much. Any suggestions would be great. My favourite band is Iron Maiden and I like genres from blues, jazz, Metal, Rock. I'm looking for a good clean channel, with good tones as well.

Reason for going for a new amp my amp I have now Line 6 Spider III 15W is horrible hate the tones. When I bought that my old guitar teacher said it was great and worth the money.
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT WANT Stay away from MG's... period.

What is your budget? Do you gig? Can you go used?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
The MG isnt any better, look at peavey vypers or vox valvetronix.
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
If you don't like the Spider, the MG is probably a step backwards. I had a Marshall MG30, and the day I got rid of it for my Orange was probably one of my favourite days. Maybe try looking at those Peaveys, they sound pretty good even the entry level ones aren't too bad.
Gibson Les Paul + Orange Tiny Terror = Sex
I like Marshalls so what Marshall should I go for that is around 200 to 300 that's good.
Quote by ColinMc
I like Marshalls so what Marshall should I go for that is around 200 to 300 that's good.

You mean your favorite guitar players like Marshall... If you liked Marshalls then you would know which ones are good. There isn't a good Marshall for $300. Look at Vox's or maybe a Vypyr if you want Metal
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
do yourself a favor, save up some money and buy something with a little more umph in it when you can. what good does an expensive pedal do you when the amp you play it through is sub-par? if you can save between 500-700 you could probably find a marshall, if thats what you have to have, that would be great for you for the rest of your time. cheap amps=cheap tone. sorry, but it's the truth!!
Quote by JayT44
You mean your favorite guitar players like Marshall... If you liked Marshalls then you would know which ones are good. There isn't a good Marshall for $300. Look at Vox's or maybe a Vypyr if you want Metal

I tried Marshall amps but with Metal if you heard Iron Maiden I like that kind of metal that is melodic not some heavy stuff like Metallica or Slayer or any band that is that heavy.
And by the way, 500-700 will get you a decent USED marshall. don't think your gonna find really nice brand-new for that.
Quote by harpy1976
do yourself a favor, save up some money and buy something with a little more umph in it when you can. what good does an expensive pedal do you when the amp you play it through is sub-par? if you can save between 500-700 you could probably find a marshall, if thats what you have to have, that would be great for you for the rest of your time. cheap amps=cheap tone. sorry, but it's the truth!!

k what would be a good marshall amp for 500 - 700 I have $4500 but I don't like to spend a lot so I'm hoping to get a job soon.
Quote by ColinMc
k what would be a good marshall amp for 500 - 700 I have $4500 but I don't like to spend a lot so I'm hoping to get a job soon.

You have $4500 and don't want to spend money on your amp?

Let me ask you this then

Would you rather spend it on a Gibson Les Paul?

If the answer to that question is YES, then your gear priorities are sadly misplaced.
TS, There's a Peavey Windsor Tube Combo for $400 that is supposed to be "the poor man's JCM" (JCM is a high-end Marshall). Play some different amps yourself and see what YOU think sounds good and not just "ZOMG teh Marshell I want!!1!".
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by Silenced7
You have $4500 and don't want to spend money on your amp?

Let me ask you this then

Would you rather spend it on a Gibson Les Paul?

If the answer to that question is YES, then your gear priorities are sadly misplaced.

no it's just I don't play gigs and have a band I've only been playing for a year and a half. So I'm not buying a 1000 dollar amp not yet anyways. I want to get a new amp, new guitar, pedals, and other guitar accessories but I'm not made of money. I wish I was.
Quote by fly135
Fender Super Champ XD $300. You don't even need pedals with it.

Will the Super Champ do metal?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by ColinMc
This Marshall is what Dave Murray and Adrian Smith use from Iron Maiden http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1960-300W-4x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=605013

aren't those just the cabinets?
won't you need a head or poweramp(something like that)
to go with that?

you could get blackstar ht-5? (i'm addicted to that amp even though i've never played it, heard its good though)
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by padgea7x
aren't those just the cabinets?
won't you need a head or poweramp(something like that)
to go with that?

ya it's a cabinets
Quote by ColinMc
ya it's a cabinets

if its what you want then get it.
but have you been to your local music shop and tried out amps there?

Quote by padgea7x
if its what you want then get it.
but have you been to your local music shop and tried out amps there?

ya I have been but I'm going tonight so I will check out some amps and see I have to order my pedal and acoustic tonight so might as well ask about an amp and I might see how much I will get for my old amp the Line 6 that's just bloody awful.

I'm glad I have some peoples suggestions over my old guitar teacher, he didn't like Marshalls so I don't know I guess he liked a different tone from me.

If anyones curious what pedal I'm getting it's an Ibanez TS9DX.
Quote by ColinMc
ya I have been but I'm going tonight so I will check out some amps and see I have to order my pedal and acoustic tonight so might as well ask about an amp and I might see how much I will get for my old amp the Line 6 that's just bloody awful.

I'm glad I have some peoples suggestions over my old guitar teacher, he didn't like Marshalls so I don't know I guess he liked a different tone from me.

If anyones curious what pedal I'm getting it's an Ibanez TS9DX.

oh right, well if you ask the staff what they think amp would suit you that might help you ddecide.
and pretty good pedal i hear

Quote by padgea7x
oh right, well if you ask the staff what they think amp would suit you that might help you ddecide.
and pretty good pedal i hear

ya I know I just want one that I won't regret whatever sounds close to Maiden I will die for lol I got into guitar because of them. So that's why I'm looking for an awesome tone like that. I probably won't get the amp tonight but I will see where it goes and see how much I can get for my amp with a pedal I got for free from some person too so I might get something if I can get some money from the pedal I got for free I might pick up a metronome. Like one of these ones http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Wittner-Wood-Metronome?sku=212826
Quote by JayT44
Will the Super Champ do metal?
It has two metal voiced channels. I can't comment on how suitable it is for your style as metal isn't my cup o tea. Try one out in the store and see what you think.
Quote by fly135
It has two metal voiced channels. I can't comment on how suitable it is for your style as metal isn't my cup o tea. Try one out in the store and see what you think.

I'm not the one buying the amp TS said he played played metal which was why I asked
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I never played the fender champ, but I'm not sure if you will get a marshall tone.

Peavey windsor apparently is a poor mans jcm. You can get a JCM800 for under a grand used.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
+1 to whoever said Blackstar HT 5, it will be perfect with the tube sreamer
Quote by JoePerry4life
I never played the fender champ, but I'm not sure if you will get a marshall tone.
You should try it. It has 3 "Brit" voices.
thanks for everyone that commented I'm thinking I'm going with a Marshall but one that is $1000 but not now I'm going to get a job and rake in some money and when I have a certain amount of money then I will buy.

*I really appreciate your suggestions cause I rather be steered in a good direction, like I said my old guitar teacher told me Line 6 Spider III was great but realizied after I bought the amp and tried it for a while. I will mostly likely be back with more questions with something else.
I have a question with the Marshall JMP - 1 why did they discontinue it. By the looks of it a lot of people say it's great. I was looking into getting that and a Marshall JFX - 1 as well but that's the same.
Pretty sure that a Marshall JMP-1 is just a preamp section, for racks.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
dude, if you're spending 1000 bucks, a used jcm800 is the obvious choice! that amp is the classic marshall tone of the 80's. and it will work perfectly with your TS9 that you're getting for higher gain stuff, although it should fair pretty well with or without the pedal. even a Marshall dsl would probably be good if you're looking for the marshall tone, and those run cheaper than an 800
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Last edited by phobiafreak949 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by TheSlashman
The MG isnt any better, look at peavey vypers or vox valvetronix.

what the hell? VOX cost an arm and leg. And Vypyrs are no good until you get to the 75w ones, which cost loads.

I think you should get a Line 6 Spider III 30w, they're cheap, and they're loud, and they're more versatile because you can save 4 different sounds rather than having to change every time. (maybe even go for the 75w if you have enough, then you're sorted.)
My Gear...
Guitars:
-BC Rich Warlock
-Washburn WI16 G15
-Fender Strat
-Vintage V8BRQ

Amps:
-Line 6 Spider III 75w

Peds:
-Line 6 FBV Express MK II

ROCK ON SIRS!

Quote by Mad_Rocker_Guy
what the hell? VOX cost an arm and leg. And Vypyrs are no good until you get to the 75w ones, which cost loads.

I think you should get a Line 6 Spider III 30w, they're cheap, and they're loud, and they're more versatile because you can save 4 different sounds rather than having to change every time. (maybe even go for the 75w if you have enough, then you're sorted.)

You haven't read the thread have you?

He has a Spider, 15 watts. He dosen't like it. Why would you suggest a biiger one?

Vox Valvetronix do not cost an arm and a leg and I'm pretty sure that the Vypyrs are the same no matter what wattage.

Also 4 posts above you he has said that he is going to spend about $1000 on a Marshall. Pay attention!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Does anyone know why the Marshall JMP - 1 and JFX - 1 were discontinued. I would really like to know why because a lot of people like them so I don't understand why they stopped making them.