nay. i like clean bass.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
What kind of distortion are you thinking of? You could have a fuzz or just a plain overdriven sound. At the moment I'm really liking the MXR blowtorch, I'm gonna snatch one up as soon as I can, its more distortion than fuzz but it sounds pretty good.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Depends on the song. I've heard some really good sounding distorted bass, and I've used a little distortion when I play every now and then, but generally I like it clean.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I personally like a slightly distorted tone, but too much and it just sounds a bit eurgh
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I personally prefer a clean bass but if used well (National Anthem by Radiohead) it surely adds more tonal variety to your playing.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
I say yay! I love a distorted tone like Marco Hietala.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Well I play a lot of core genres, metalcore, deathcore, electrocore, and various other forms of metal, and a lot of these genre's I feel the bass is barely noticed so I was thinking of picking up a distortion pedal to add to the sound a bit.
^ agree.
i tend to use distortion for punk music as well or anytime i try to sound like Death From Above 1979. ha.
I have a Bass Driver which I use from time to time for songs like Time Is Running Out by Muse or Around The World by the Chilis. And if I am doing a solo.

But typically, I will just play clean bass. The guitarist of my band uses so much distortion for pretty much every song we do, that if I used any, it would sound terrible.
Signatures Are Stupid
Quote by kaossurge
yay or nay?

You should be a lot more specific. What about bass distortion? Your question could be 'Is bass distortion good?' or 'Does anyone like to use bass distortion' or 'Does bass distortion exist?' but that depends entirely on the situation where you would be using it, which you did not mention, and it depends what pedal is being used, which you failed to mention, and it also depends what type of distortion which again you failed to mention.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I like the sound of an overdriven tube amp, but I'm not a big fan of just plugging in a distortion pedal or playing an amp that has built in distortion.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I love overdrive and fuzz, though I also like my clean tone, so I pretty much always run a blend of clean and distortion, which makes me moist.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by kaossurge
yay or nay?

You should be a lot more specific. What about bass distortion? Your question could be 'Is bass distortion good?' or 'Does anyone like to use bass distortion' or 'Does bass distortion exist?' The answer to your question would depend entirely on the situation where you would be using it, which you did not mention, and it depends what pedal is being used, which you failed to mention, and it also depends what type of distortion which again you failed to mention.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by kaossurge
Well I play a lot of core genres, metalcore, deathcore, electrocore, and various other forms of metal, and a lot of these genre's I feel the bass is barely noticed so I was thinking of picking up a distortion pedal to add to the sound a bit.

...You'll just blend in with the guitar even more, man.
i think that a clean bass sound is probably one of the most verstile sounds in music, but if you put fuzz or overdrive on a bass correctly, it can add the necessary texture to make it that much better.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
i like a teeny tiny bit of overdrive to make it sound a wee bit edgy

OR A FAT FULL GAIN BASS ONSLAUGHT MY BASS WILL SLAY YOU ALL WITH IT'S DISTORTED POWERS

I hate really high gain distortion, but i love a synth sounding distortion and fuzz
If I'm going to use distortion, I like just enough to add a little bit of grit to the sound. But, most of the time I prefer a clean sound.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Depends on the sound but adding little distortion goes a long way in boosting your stage presence. Nothing beats the tone of a clean bass but adding a touch of distortion or fuzz really lets you cut though and be heard without sacrificing too much of your tone. I personally use a bit of fuzz. You could always go balls out and get some booming distortion though to be "that guy". We all know "that guy".
Last edited by Hgtcore3 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Hgtcore3
Depends on the sound but adding little distortion goes a long way in boosting your stage presence. Nothing beats the tone of a clean bass but adding a touch of distortion or fuzz really lets you cut though and be heard without sacrificing too much of your tone. I personally use a bit of fuzz. You could always go balls out and get some booming distortion though to be "that guy". We all know "that guy".

The guy playing doom metal?
I like the clean tone but distortion defo has it's uses. Sometimes songs or lines are just more fitting with distortion. Adds a little edge as well, some lines that sound boring as **** played plain sound incredible when distorted.
Nah. I prefer trebly-Fender J-basses.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Wooly overdrive and thick fuzz- Yay, anything inbetween- Nay.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I like the amount of distortion I get from my Sansamp. Just enough to make my tone 'dirty' but not full out distorted.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
I can't get the distortion good, or dirty
My total sound goes distortion...
any idea's?
bi-amping would work for a good sound, but don't have two amps
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jul 26, 2009,
Subtle distortion yay

mad treble distortion, nay

Bought a Pd7, best money i ever spent
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^ this guy knows what he's talking about.
PD7's the win. If you decide yay on distortion, pick one up.
Either full on or not at all IMO. I like it like around the world, and pulling teeth distorted
Quote by Lollage123
Either full on or not at all IMO. I like it like around the world, and pulling teeth distorted

Enjoy your low e- ...oh wait.

Full on sounds crap, with every pedal I have heard ever it just sounded apauling without any actual bass tone involved.
I highly doubt that Burton had his full on btw.