I'm new to playing guitar (I don't own one yet), and I'm trying to decide on one to buy.

I really like the sound of Schecter guitars, and some of them are in my price range and still sound good (my price range is $250-$450), but I have one concern. I played a couple in a guitar store and compared them to some other guitars, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to play very well on the thicker neck. I'm a rather small person (only 5'6") so my hands aren't all that big.

What are some other guitars in my price range that have good crunchy distorted tones? I'm looking at playing things like Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold.
IBANEZ GOD DAMMIT!! get an ibanez RG, even the low end ones (like the RG350DX, same one i haveare bloody amazing!

and you wont fond a slimmer more comfortable neck anywhere!!
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by sylphin

I hate when people say that. It's only comfortable to you, because it fits your hands well. I hate Ibanez necks, because it does not fit my hand well.

Anyways, Washburn's X series are pretty good against a Schecter.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
I hate when people say that. It's only comfortable to you, because it fits your hands well. I hate Ibanez necks, because it does not fit my hand well.

Anyways, Washburn's X series are pretty good against a Schecter.

+1 They feel too wide and are too flat for me however my Capa is absolute heaven for me.
Those caparisons look so damn nice

sylphin - The original wizard neck is slimmer than the wizard II.

TS - You really need to try an ibanez to see if it's for you. It's love/hate with the necks. For some it's uncomfortable and for others it's godly. We don't know whats comfortable for you, but you do.

I say try them out. If you're looking for a thinner neck, than an RG may be up your alley or other Ibanez Guitars. Maybe an S series as the neck seems a bit thicker than a wizard II. But if you don't even have a guitar yet, maybe get one without a floating bridge. As a beginner, that might get frustrating.
If you're struggling with the Schecter necks, then the above Ibanez suggestions are probably the way to go, out of the main guitars commonly considered for metal (Ibanez/Jackson/Dean/ESP/Schecter/etc) the Ibanez necks would probably suit you best due to being much thinner than the Schecters.
I also tried an ESP in the store, and I liked the way that one felt.

I've narrowed my choices down to four guitars:

Schecter Damien 6
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

I'm leaving the Schecters in there until I have another chance to play them.

I went through and picked guitars I like the sound of, are in my price range, and DON'T have a trem. I don't want one for now. Almost every Ibanez guitar I found had one, so that helped me narrow my choices down very quickly.
I'm only 5'5 and it feels fine to me it just takes some getting used to but if it's a thinner neck you want go for a ESP or Ibanez
get a washburn x pro..great guitars (for like 250$ or less) you can get it with ducans or emgs...and sound alot better then the omen-6 for me
Well, if you buy a guitar but don't like the neck, you will get used to it very soon. I also think you should give Schecters a chance, because since you haven't played guitar before, I think it's too soon for you to be making decisions on what type of neck you can or can't play. A 7 foot man can play an Ibanez, and likewise a 4 foot man can play a Gibson. But definitely, pick what feels right for you!

ALSO, as a first guitar, don't worry about the sound. As long as it's a working electric guitar that produces sound, then don't even worry if it's high quality. Just pick one that will be good to learn on, and once you develop your ability you can buy another guitar and put sound into the decision.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Royal_Brick at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Royal_Brick
Well, if you buy a guitar but don't like the neck, you will get used to it very soon. I also think you should give Schecters a chance, because since you haven't played guitar before, I think it's too soon for you to be making decisions on what type of neck you can or can't play. A 7 foot man can play an Ibanez, and likewise a 4 foot man can play a Gibson. But definitely, pick what feels right for you!

ALSO, as a first guitar, don't worry about the sound. As long as it's a working electric guitar that produces sound, then don't even worry if it's high quality. Just pick one that will be good to learn on, and once you develop your ability you can buy another guitar and put sound into the decision.

I considered that, but I'm a pretty picky person. I don't know how to play, but I can definitely tell when one sounds bad, and I don't like it. I decided to buy a mid-range guitar so I could learn on it, and then continue to use it as an intermediate guitar. It'll also keep a little higher value if I ever decide to sell it.

I do plan on trying Schecter again. I really love the way they sound, and I don't want to throw it away because one experience didn't quite feel right.
Agile... Awesome guitars.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by sylphin
IBANEZ GOD DAMMIT!! get an ibanez RG, even the low end ones (like the RG350DX, same one i haveare bloody amazing!

there's better low end axes than the RG350DX although a lot of people seem to like this one. i thought the one i played in a local music shop felt a little cheap.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Royal_Brick

Seriously? Wtf.
So there's no reason why a beginner shouldn't get a Starcaster by Fender? No reason why they shouldn't geta crappy Epiphone Special II?
You might as well hand them a plank of wood with strings on it and a microphone taped on.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Royal_Brick

while what you're saying is true, i think that if he can tell immediately that a certain neck doesn'nt feel good it wouldn't make sense for him to learn on that when there are other guitars that he may already enjoy playing more despite his limited experience with the instrument.

he's more likely to make progress on something he actually enjoys playing. if he finds the guitar uncomfortable there's more of a chance of him disliking the instrument and not keeping with it, ya know?
Quote by Baby Joel
Seriously? Wtf.
So there's no reason why a beginner shouldn't get a Starcaster by Fender? No reason why they shouldn't geta crappy Epiphone Special II?
You might as well hand them a plank of wood with strings on it and a microphone taped on.

I used to make guitars out of a shoebox and rubber bands when I was little. It'd be kinda tough to tune though.
Quote by smagliaro
I'm new to playing guitar (I don't own one yet), and I'm trying to decide on one to buy.

I really like the sound of Schecter guitars, and some of them are in my price range and still sound good (my price range is $250-$450), but I have one concern. I played a couple in a guitar store and compared them to some other guitars, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to play very well on the thicker neck. I'm a rather small person (only 5'6") so my hands aren't all that big.

What are some other guitars in my price range that have good crunchy distorted tones? I'm looking at playing things like Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold.

Schecters are great instruments. My only electric is a Schecter Gryphon, costs about $350. Plays great, the pickups are not bad, Duncan designed based on the Distortion Mayhem pair you can buy on MF. The coil tap gives some decent single coil tones, though there is some loss in volume. The cleans sound good. I'm around the same size 5'7" I think, the neck is nice and easy to play, though I am a bass player so I'm used to some wider necks.

I wouldn't worry about thick necks. Schecters are nice and easy to play. For me at least.

Everything I said here is an opinion though. Others may disagree.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Well with so many choices of guitars and necks...

Try out all the ones that interest you. I LOVE a Dean neck. The C shape completely fits my hand. And Jackson necks are nice and flat... and I can play well on those too.
the ibanez or LTD would be good if neck size is a big worry. They tend to have thinner necks compared to schecters. Mine feels fine to me, but everyone is different. And try not to get a guitar with a floating trem for your first, they are a pain, and is not something a beginner should deal with.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by Baby Joel
Seriously? Wtf.

I realize that, I'm just saying that you don't really need a beautifully sounding guitar as a beginner. But if he wants to go for it, then there's nothing stopping him!
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Ibanez RG3EX is 350$ and was better than any other guitar that I tried in guitar center that day. Also, it has a very thin neck.
Quote by Baby Joel
(a) I hate when people say that. It's only comfortable to you, because it fits your hands well.

(b) Anyways, Washburn's X series are pretty good against a Schecter.

(a) +1

(b) agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can't believe no ones mentioned ESP... check around your shop for some LTD's in your price range and see how those feel to you. My Viper has a neck similar to my C-1 Classic, pretty thin but not uncomfortably thin like a wizard neck. They're decent for metal too, but I would stay away from anything under the 400/401 series. Im pretty sure those should fall into your price range.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I have a Schecter S-1 Elite and I think the neck is awesome. It's much thinner than the necks on those pathetic Schecter V's. They sadly discontinued the S-1 Elite. I've seen a few around guitar shops. I know ebay has them, but you can't really try out a guitar over eBay.

They still make regular S-1's, but I don't know if they're about the same or radically different when it comes to playing. I know some have a shorter neck scale than the Elite.

I hope somehow that helped.

Ibanez necks are f*cking awesome. So are ESP's. I have to admit that most ESP's and Ibanez's I've played are much easier to play than my S-1 Elite.