What would be a good choice? I was thinking somthing ibanez or schecter, no gibson/epiphone please. My price cap is about $500
Last edited by BamaBlues at Jul 23, 2009,
Define 'stoner rock'. As far as I'm concerned, every rock genre is stoner.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I've always thought that a down-tuned Les Paul Standard is pretty much the ultimate stoner axe. Depending on what you mean by stoner, of course - even in the inspecific world of naming music genres, that's a hideously vague term.

If you're set on those brands, maybe an Ibanez ART or something.
Schecter and Ibanez have way too tight tone to excel at "stoner rock", and by "stoner rock" I'm assuming you mean something along the lines of Sludge or Doom metal. In that case I would suggest you go with Gibson, or a Fender Telecaster possibly.

EDIT: actually Ibanez Artcores are really good. for everything.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by Tedward
Schecter and Ibanez have way too tight tone to excel at "stoner rock", and by "stoner rock" I'm assuming you mean something along the lines of Sludge or Doom metal.

That's what I'm figuring too - something like this.

You might also consider a mid-range BC Rich, like this.
sorry for being vague, I was just looking for some suggestions for guitars to try out when I head over to guitar center today. And I guess by stoner rock I'm including sludge and doom metal, for something like corrosion of conformity or something similar
Hollowbody Gibson/epiphone. Josh Homme plays an Epiphone Dot, a very low priced guitar based on Gibson's ES-335 (Which is way over your price limit, lol.)

May I ask why you don't want an Epi/Gibby?
^ yes. I know the guitarist of Fu Manchu uses one so i think thats a good suggestion
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by peacemaker898
Hollowbody Gibson/epiphone. Josh Homme plays an Epiphone Dot, a very low priced guitar based on Gibson's ES-335 (Which is way over your price limit, lol.)

May I ask why you don't want an Epi/Gibby?

I dont really have anything aginst gibosn, but I have an epi les paul speical II right now and I was looking for an upgrade and something differnt
Well, try to go for a semi-hollow anyway. They tend to produce looser, darker tones when distorted. Perfect for stoner rock.
I always thought of a stoner rock guitar as a Les paul... But guess i agree with a Fender Jag. I could see that.
Quote by BamaBlues
sorry for being vague, I was just looking for some suggestions for guitars to try out when I head over to guitar center today. And I guess by stoner rock I'm including sludge and doom metal, for something like corrosion of conformity or something similar

Sludge/doom??? It has to be a silverburst Gibson......

Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Quote by Tedward
EDIT: actually Ibanez Artcores are really good. for everything.

Melodic Finnish Death Metal or Viking metal?

Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

I always thought stoner rock is pretty Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida type stuff ... I guess there's more to it
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Les Paul or SG. Maybe a a PRS SE?
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Last edited by SpockTheRock at Jul 23, 2009,
can't you play more or less whatever you want on any guitar so long as you use he correct pickups, amps (amp settings), effects, etc?

do you have a guitar a all now? what are you playing on? is that comfortable? what about it would make it more comfortable for you? find a guitar that better matches these features and tweak your tone.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Hey hey man, I play a bit of stoner rock. I use a 1968 Guild T-100 (hollowbody) that is similar to a Guild Starfire. Anyway, I find that hollowbodies really match the dark, resonant tones that work well in stoner rock.

However, if you wanted something a little different, check out the Eastwood GP
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/eastwood-GP/GP_frm.htm

Pretty good sustain, affordable, and a nice dark crunchy tone that works great with fuzzed out stoner rock. And unlike some hollowbodies (mine in particular) the higher notes really shine through, so you could throw some fun Kyuss-like harmonies in there.

Other guitars I would check out would be the Fender Jazzmaster (I like JMs for stoner rock a lot, though I may be in the minority), Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cutaway (or its numerous copies) or many P90 equipped guitars. I personally would forgo humbuckers in place of P90s because P90s have a little bit more clarity and can get pretty dirty if played hard. Also check out the Gretsch Double Jet for some really interesting, unique tones that work well in stoner rock.

Cheers, friend.
Quote by ComradSputnik
try a fender jaguar HH might be good

I get a good Fu Manchu sound with my tele.
Ovation possibly?

Whenever someone says stoner rock I think QOTSA.

Edit: Or alternatively hollow body guitars- Gretsch?
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Last edited by hellbound_jonny at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by hellbound_jonny
Ovation possibly?

Whenever someone says stoner rock I think QOTSA.

Yeah, true.

Problem is, Homme plays Ovation GP Ultras. And there exist about four hundred Ovation GP Ultras. He'll need to be a very lucky and persistent man to find one of those.
fuzz and anything with humbuckers.

not necessary but could help:
- EMG pups for more gain; i put the 85 in the bridge position for more bottom end
- heavy gauge strings like 12-56 and up
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
I think virtually any electric guitar could be used for stoner rock if you tweaked your gear just right.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I think virtually any electric guitar could be used for stoner rock if you tweaked your gear just right.

in my opinion passive pickups are better than actives for stoner rock.