im using .009-.42 ernie ball super slinky strings on the kirk hammet sig. series and the high E string keep breaking between the 12-19th frets. Ive been playin the seize the day solo which has pretty high bends, does it keep breaking because of the bending? or why are they breaking becuase this is the 3rd on that has broken, the first 2 strings were DR tight fit strings.
you may have some rough points on your frets
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
you may have some rough points on your frets

+1

Put some cardboard or something between the frets to protect the wood. Maybe even just some painters masking tape..

Then use some steel wool to polish the frets..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
it is prolly cause the bends. a trick that sometimes works is when you put new string on is the over tune them just a little bit and let them sit overnight which causes them to stretch out a little. you could also change to regular slinkys.
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
i would have thought it were something to do with rough frets
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
the strings aren't the problem. i used to use 9's (EB super slinkies specifically) and they never broke on me because of a bend, and i used to do some really large bends (2&1/2 to 3&1/2 steps). so the string gauges arent the problem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
It could be the bridge.
If you have a hardtail the saddles on the bridge could be really sharp and you might need them sanded down.
^If it was the bridge the strings would be snapping at the bridge, not a foot away.

The problem is the frets. Can you see any visible wear from frets 12-19?
superman is killing himself tonight
^well idk, maybe he was confused when it said it.
I thought he meant that the strings broke when he was playing between the 12th-19th frets.

Either way, its rock n' roll baby!!
the guitar the fairly new so their isnt any wear or rough edges on the frets. Ill try streching the strings and see how it works, thanks for all the advice.
Quote by a7xfan94
the guitar the fairly new so their isnt any wear or rough edges on the frets. Ill try streching the strings and see how it works, thanks for all the advice.

not rough edges on the frets, rough frets in general.
Quote by pedromiles101
1. i dont buy EBs because they break on me.

2. line up where the string breaks and check for a problem there.

3. i wouldnt polish frets without knowing exactly what you're doing.
i've seen guys mess up their whole board.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Just go up to .10s' or .10-.46s, the strings are much more durable.

Check your intonation as well. Bad intonation tends to lead to shorter string life, for whatever reason.
Quote by manhangi

Check your intonation as well. Bad intonation tends to lead to shorter string life, for whatever reason.

nah, not going to be a factor.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011