Hello, so I've recently discovered that i play better when i sit in a different way, in a sort of relaxed, laid back way. What I'm talking about is something like this

http://www.recumbentbikesdenver.com/images/recumbents/HPVelotechnik/Street%20Machine%20Gt/Action/P9290082.jpg ,

only not that much lying down, more sitting. Well basically my legs are in that position, I'm on a sofa, and well the back is in a normal position, basically like sitting if you understand what i mean.. Dunno how to call it. Anyway i noticed that when i play in that position, i do less mistakes and just feel more relaxed while playing. Is this a bad thing to do while practicing?
Quote by Shinami
Hello, so I've recently discovered that i play better when i sit in a different way, in a sort of relaxed, laid back way. What I'm talking about is something like this

http://www.recumbentbikesdenver.com/images/recumbents/HPVelotechnik/Street%20Machine%20Gt/Action/P9290082.jpg ,

only not that much lying down, more sitting. Well basically my legs are in that position, I'm on a sofa, and well the back is in a normal position, basically like sitting if you understand what i mean.. Dunno how to call it. Anyway i noticed that when i play in that position, i do less mistakes and just feel more relaxed while playing. Is this a bad thing to do while practicing?

Well, it's not the best thing because you could hurt muscles and other parts of your body. But hey, it's not my body. If you find it's comfortable, then be comfortable.
Well I say if you say it's comfortable than stick with that way, the only problem I'd see is if you were ever in a setting where sitting like that would be unacceptable like playing around a campfire or at a gig or somewhere where that wouldn't be an option, you should work on playing the "right" way and fix the mistakes that you do make, but if you're just playing to relax and have fun I'd say that's the way to go.
hmm... i've tried playing like that before out of pure laziness and found it very difficult. i find it more comfortable to play like i'm activating star power.

that's interesting.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
It is more comfortable, but I always try to practice while sitting in a way that is as close to the way I would play standing up, that way it's not such a drastic change from sitting while playing and standing while playing.
Quote by srob7001
It is more comfortable, but I always try to practice while sitting in a way that is as close to the way I would play standing up, that way it's not such a drastic change from sitting while playing and standing while playing.

it's not a huge difference, but i'd say there's a noticeable difference. i definitely prefer sitting down to standing up. then again i don't do gigs so i guess it doesn't really matter in my case.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I'm gonna go ahead and say it is bad.

If you sit liek that, then you have an advantage in that you can easily look at how you'er playing. That, in my opinion, is bad because when you try and play normally, you fail. Try playing standing up. Of course, you will fail at that too. If you're playing by yourself at home all the time, then go for it. You probably aren't, so no.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
I'm gonna go ahead and say it is bad.

If you sit liek that, then you have an advantage in that you can easily look at how you'er playing. That, in my opinion, is bad because when you try and play normally, you fail. Try playing standing up. Of course, you will fail at that too. If you're playing by yourself at home all the time, then go for it. You probably aren't, so no.

Currently, i am