how much would a used Fender FM 100W head go for? Also would I be able to hook it into my Fender FM 25R for use as a speaker? Are there any better deals out there?
thanks
there are better deals out there.

What is your budget?
do you gig?
what genres do you play?

and plugging an FM100 to an FM25 will fry both of them
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
yeah you don't want to plug a 100W head into a 25W speaker. You need to go read an article about watts and ohms, etc. so you don't destroy something or kill yourself.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Don't do it!!! For one thing it'll ruin both amps, and also the frontmans aren't worth having two of.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
there are better deals out there.

What is your budget?
do you gig?
what genres do you play?

and plugging an FM100 to an FM25 will fry both of them

budget is whatevers cheap.
i would like something gigable
i play grunge and punk and hard rock and various other stuff ranging to folk.
define cheap. cheap for a 14 year old with no job is different from cheap for a 40 year old who has a good income and no one to take care of but him/herself. so are we talking $100 cheap or like $500 cheap?
100 for now but im willing to look higher i guess

I really just want something that I can gig with and still use it at home. maybe a head to power my frontman to make it good enought to gig with. w/e you all think
Last edited by WinterEagle5 at Jul 23, 2009,
If you have the 25R right now, save your money for the head.

You can find a Peavey VTM 60 for around $300, which is a JCM800 clone.

A Marshall Valvestate 8100 is around $200. Which is an alright head.

But understand you're looking at another $200+ over either of those for a cabinet to go with them.

You CAN NOT hook a head into a FM25.

You need a speaker cabinet.
ANYTHING Marshall?

Have you played JCM800? or a Plexi?

The VS series is not like a JCM800 or anything else they make. It's high gain, but cleans up pretty well.

What type of music do you play?
i play some acoustic type songs so i need some good cleans, and i also play hard rock, punk rock, and grunge etc. I don't need a seperate channel for this though seeing as how i have pedals for that.
Altough I'm a bit biased, I'm gonna say Bugera 333 or 6262. Aside from the tubes, they're solid amps. They've got excellent distortion for metal and rock and great cleans to boot. Either will do the trick, really depends on preference which one's better.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Then you best bet will probably be the Marshall VS 8100.

If you're lucky you can find them around $150 - $200.

They're a hybrid amp, with a tube preamp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc0SGWnDkDk That's the combo version of it.

It has a nice clean tone, not the best, but you're paying under $200.
Buy an SM57, a 20ft XLR to XLR cable, a mic stand. Position mic infront of your amp.

Plug XLR cable into PA.

Alert sound engineer you have done so.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Yeah there is, but it won't be any louder unless it goes through a PA.
is it a decent idea to hook my EQ output into the monitor or to do this

Guitar > Boss Ds-1 > Johnson DEQ-2 > Equalizor in > Frontman 25R (standard setup with out put into amp of course, then running another cable from the recording section of the EQ to the Monitor
No sound would come out of the monitor as it's just the pedals that are powering it.

I don't totally understand what you're getting at. Why do you want it to come through the floor monitors? So it's louder? So that you can hear it on stage? Specify and I'll be able to help more. For either of those, you need to mic up your amp and put it through the PA anyway, because the PA powers the monitors.
You need a PA, dude. You can get a mediocre powered mixer for £250, that'll run your monitors fine.
A decent idea is to save up and buy an amp when ready instead of trying to mcgyver things ...

I know it sucks... but that's my best advice. I tried doing the whole PA thing as well. It made the crappy tone from my crappy amp even louder... so I saved and picked up something I like.

Have you checked your local craigslist?
He wanted to know how to utilize his monitors, I told him :P But yeah, replace your amp and you'll be more satisfied.

If the monitors you've got are completely useless to you, sell them to a venue or something. I promote gigs where I am and i'd FÚCKING KILL for a few of them to have monitors w/ the PA.
Crate GX130c, they're really cheap and would work okay for your genres, they're more metally on the gain side of things, but they can do mid-gain pretty well and have great cleans. And they're only 150-200$ for the head, and are plenty loud to gig with if you've got a good 212.