I want to switch the gauge of strings that I use to a thicker gauge, because I am going to be playing some technical death metal, in the vein of Nile and Necrophagist, and I am going to be tuned to drop Bb, so I need to know which gauge of strings would give me the closest feel to what I am currently using. I am using 10-46's for drop D right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I am only switching the strings on my SG if that matters)
I play in drop B and similar style to those bands, I use Ernie Ball 11-54
ohai little sig.
You need prolly 13s.

and you need to get it set up.

If you just slap the thicker strings on it will not be good

EDIT: not 13's lol that was a typo i meant 12s
I'd get a set of .013's-.056
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Yeah just get a thicker set of strings, Zakk Wylde Dunlops are pretty heavy.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
.12's - .13's and I would suggest replacing the G string with a wound string because in my experience Gibson/Epiphone doesnt sound as good with the straight steel G... just use a regular .10 gauge set D string for it (a .32 i believe)
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
^You always get a wound G in a set of .012's or .013's
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Thanks alot for the help guys, I think I am going to go with .12's and see how those feel, and then I might switch to either .11's or .13's depending on the feeling I get from the .12's.(that is after I get some money to have the guitar set-up)
Quote by Mazzakazza
Learn to set it up yourself - it's not difficult and will save you muchos $$$.

I 2nd that cause I've saved like £100 yearly since i learn't to set up my Les Paul myself and Les Pauls are so easy to set up.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Mazzakazza
Learn to set it up yourself - it's not difficult and will save you muchos $$$.

I would but I don't trust myself enough to try, because I will either completely fvck up my intonation, or ruin the neck by messing up my truss rod.
Last edited by G-man05 at Jul 23, 2009,
Check out the Ultimate Set-up thread at the top of the page. I swear it's not that difficult or dangerous to your equipment. Of course, it's your call at the end of the day.

(And nice to see more Opeth fans, always )
Quote by Mazzakazza
Check out the Ultimate Set-up thread at the top of the page. I swear it's not that difficult or dangerous to your equipment. Of course, it's your call at the end of the day.

(And nice to see more Opeth fans, always )

I think I might try to learn to set-up my guitar on my own, but the only thing I can't find is how much I should adjust my truss rod, and in which direction.

(Yeah Opeth is the sh!t )
For that stuff i tend to use 11-70 or 10-60 and it works really well but takes abit of getting used too
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs