I have a G&L Tribute L2000 with the stock humbuckers. I am familiar with modding EMG active pickups for 18v, and I was wondering if anyone has tried running their G&L pups off of 18v. I am not asking how to do it, I am asking if anyone can give me opinions on the results, or warn me if it's a no-no.
My hope would be for a bit more clean headroom. I play through a solid state Ampeg 112 combo amp. My main styles are pop and rock, I play fingers only, some chording, lots of octaves and harmonics, not much slap.

(I do realize that this might could have gone in Building in Customizing, but I am a regular there so I know that very few bassists frequent that forum. I figure I will get better answers here.)

Thanks.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by budget bassist
G&L pickups aren't active.

are too.

new amp would get you much better cleans, if you are down for spending lots of money.

Ampeg Ba is parallel to the Marshall MG series, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
are too.

new amp would get you much better cleans, if you are down for spending lots of money.

Ampeg Ba is parallel to the Marshall MG series, IMO.

No they're not, it's the preamp that's active, the pickups are passive.
Quote by budget bassist

then it would still work, wouldn't it?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i'm not too sure, i thought you could only do the 18V mod with pickups rather than preamps, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't do the circuitry much good.
Your bass doesn't have active pickups does it. I cant see any problems with adding another 9v to the preamp but you might loose some of the smoothness.

Also your amp isnt the greatest, new ampeg combos sort of fail as it goes. The Pro series is probably their best all round. But yet its all personal preference.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by budget bassist

that doesn't make it passive.

if that was the case, the only active basses would EMG's or other such things.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
that doesn't make it passive.

if that was the case, the only active basses would EMG's or other such things.

I didn't say that, but the op was talking about modding the pickups to 18V, and it's not the pickups that are active, it's the preamp. And i was also saying that i don't think modding the preamp to 18v would do it much good.
Quote by budget bassist
I didn't say that, but the op was talking about modding the pickups to 18V, and it's not the pickups that are active, it's the preamp. And i was also saying that i don't think modding the preamp to 18v would do it much good.

make battery changing easier. if somebody likes the 18 v on guitar, they have nothing to lose by trying- if they aren't gonna solder poorly or something like that.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

yes but when you do it on guitar you do it to the pickups, not preamp. mainly because you don't get preamps on guitars (well i've never seen one anyway)