Hey, i've been playing for a little longer than 1½ years and i've devoloped this crap habit of putting thumb too much over the neck so i've been having problems going from power chords to lead and so on,

Any ideas on how to get rid of the evil evil habit? I'm playing slower and trying to keep my thumb in place, but any exercises?

Thanks

Btw, I have a fairly thin neck, could that contribute to it?
practice

practice the transitioning slowly for a while and then try it again at the goal speed. eventually after doing it slowly enough you'll develop better form that will allow you to do maneuver about the fretboard as needed.

but before one can fly he must first stand and walk. one cannot fly into flying.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 23, 2009,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Anyway how slow are you going? If find myself slipping into bad habits I usually go down to about 32bpm (The lowest my metronome goes ) and consciously make sure I don't slip back into doing it. Then I keep going up in speed until it's not a habit anymore. As for having a thin neck I don't think that should be overly important
by the way... your thumb hanging over the neck isn't necessarily a "bad habit", i don't think. a lot of the guitarists that are considered "great" today played that way.

actually... my thumb does this when i play six strings since i got used to playing 7 strings. the wider neck makes it harder for me to wrap my thumb all the way around the board.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Reverend-Me
Hey, i've been playing for a little longer than 1½ years and i've devoloped this crap habit of putting thumb too much over the neck so i've been having problems going from power chords to lead and so on,

Any ideas on how to get rid of the evil evil habit? I'm playing slower and trying to keep my thumb in place, but any exercises?

Thanks

the best way to cure any bad habit, is to simply stop doing it. (sorry to sound like a jerk, but it's true)
shred is gaudy music
Quote by konfyouzd
by the way... your thumb hanging over the neck isn't necessarily a "bad habit", i don't think. a lot of the guitarists that are considered "great" today played that way.

actually... my thumb does this when i play six strings since i got used to playing 7 strings. the wider neck makes it harder for me to wrap my thumb all the way around the board.

Yeah i know, my prioblem is that it slips to close to my other fingers( the ones i fret with) so it ****s my playing up from time to time :S

Still i'll just play slowly
^ +1
i wouldn't try to stop doing it completely but get used to switching back and forth because there will be a time when you want to use it.
Quote by z4twenny
^ +1
i wouldn't try to stop doing it completely but get used to switching back and forth because there will be a time when you want to use it.
Yeah bends are a bitch if you have your thumb behind the neck so you'll want to bring it back over for them
^ thats kinda relative (bends aren't difficult for me unless they're below the 3rd fret) but there definitely will come a time when you need to do it. might as well have both in your arsenal.
well some of your bar chords will be played with your thumb over the neck and actually fretting the e string and sometimes muting the a string so i wouldn't try to get rid of the thumb over the neck completely. if you ever play anything kinda sloppy it is good to mute the e string with your thumb. for your problem there is no exercise or trick, etc. you just have to stop doing it. do a transition and keep doing it until you don't do it. that's really all you can do.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by Reverend-Me

Thanks

What guitar are you playing? Just curios...