Hi

My Fender Stratocaster currently has an 8-hole pickguard, but I want to put in an 11-hole pickguard.

Is it safe just to drill 3 extra holes in?

How should I go about doing this?

I have almost no experience with DIY stuff, what do I do? Drill a hole and then put the screw in? Will the screw go in?

Please could someone tell me exactly what to do?!

Thankyou.
why exactly do you want an 11-hole pickguard?

you could probably get away with just drilling a small pilot hole and then screwing it in manually.
it's just a matter of drilling the extra holes, if the pickguard is the same shape/ covering the same area, yeah

ideally, the holes you drill would be perfectly 90 degrees into the body (drill press), but for this, you can get away with using a hand drill carefully

use a drillbit that's the same size as the non-threaded part of the screw..

like:
-||-
-||-
-||-
v

the inner shaft part of the screw is the size you want to drill

that way, the threads are still digging into the wood

you may also want to put a peice of tape over the space where you're drilling, to help prevent chips in the finish (although that usually won't be a problem when drilling pg holes)

just drill the hole in the right place, and screw it in with a screw driver

...hope that helps
Last edited by james4 at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by james4
it's just a matter of drilling the extra holes, if the pickguard is the same shape/ covering the same area, yeah

ideally, the holes you drill would be perfectly 90 degrees into the body (drill press), but for this, you can get away with using a hand drill carefully

use a drillbit that's the same size as the non-threaded part of the screw..

like:
-||-
-||-
-||-
v

the inner shaft part of the screw is the size you want to drill

that way, the threads are still digging into the wood

you may also want to put a peice of tape over the space where you're drilling, to help prevent chips in the finish (although that usually won't be a problem when drilling pg holes)

just drill the hole in the right place, and screw it in with a screw driver

...hope that helps

Thanks, sorry I'm so ignorant to this sort of thing.
Quote by The Chimney Man
Thanks, sorry I'm so ignorant to this sort of thing.

no problem

asking questions is always better than trying to do it on the fly and messing something up
Haha, almost posted this in the other thread, but it was closed before I could hit post!

The pattern is only slightly different.

You would need to drill 4 new holes (3 new ones plus 1 is a bit off).

Lay the new 11 hole pickguard over the guitar, screw in as many as you can (7) and mark where the new holes need to go.

(I would use a nail, that way you make a little indent in the center of the hole, this will serve as a pilot for your drill bit)

I don't recall offhand what size bit is needed, but hold a screw and the bit up together.
The bit should cover the shank (shaft) of the screw, but leave the threads exposed, as such:

(excuse the MS paint fail)

Run the bit in reverse for a couple turns, this tends to keep the poly/nitro and paint from chipping.

You can control depth by marking on the bit with a sharpie, then just stop when you get to the mark.

Rub the screw threads with beeswax or candle wax before installing.
Quote by Rutch
Haha, almost posted this in the other thread, but it was closed before I could hit post!

The pattern is only slightly different.

You would need to drill 4 new holes (3 new ones plus 1 is a bit off).

Lay the new 11 hole pickguard over the guitar, screw in as many as you can (7) and mark where the new holes need to go.

(I would use a nail, that way you make a little indent in the center of the hole, this will serve as a pilot for your drill bit)

I don't recall offhand what size bit is needed, but hold a screw and the bit up together.
The bit should cover the shank (shaft) of the screw, but leave the threads exposed, as such:

(excuse the MS paint fail)

Run the bit in reverse for a couple turns, this tends to keep the poly/nitro and paint from chipping.

You can control depth by marking on the bit with a sharpie, then just stop when you get to the mark.

Rub the screw threads with beeswax or candle wax before installing.

Ok thanks, what is the beeswax/candle wax for?
1.) put a piece of masking tape where the hole will go
2.) make a small divot exactly where the hole should be using an awl
3.) pilot hole
4.) lube it up (rub the threads gently with little bar soap)
5.) screw it.
Quote by cedricsmods
3.) pilot hole
5.) screw it.

Ok thanks, but how thick should the pilot hole be? Thinner than the screw, or like the guy above said, the same size as the middle part of the screw?

Thanks.
Quote by cedricsmods

4.) lube it up
5.) screw it.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by cedricsmods
3.) pilot hole
5.) screw it.

I was in the middle of posting, and I forgot what those were called, an Awl. I was going to say the exact same thing with the numbers!
..I was watching my death.
Quote by The Chimney Man
Ok thanks, but how thick should the pilot hole be? Thinner than the screw, or like the guy above said, the same size as the middle part of the screw?

Thanks.

Personally, I go slightly smaller than the "middle part". Just don't drill the pilot hole bigger than the middle part. The purpose of the pilot is to remove a little material to accomodate for screw without too much compression to the surrounding wood.