..just doing a bit of modding to the enclosure of my VJ, and I'm planning on putting some plexiglass windows in, with a bit of lighting from the inside..

The original plan was to use LEDs, but a friend of mine who's into computer case mods suggested cold cathodes, and says they'd give better light (from what ive seen, they do seem really bright)..

I've done a tiny bit of looking around for information on them, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer on whether they'll cause a lot of noise..

From what I understand, it's the inverter that causes most of the noise, right?
if thats the case, how bad is the hum from them.. (like, would putting the inverter in a shielded box take enough of it away?)

if I can get most of the hum out, i'd probably just deal with the tiny bit left if it means better lighting, but I'd reeeally rather not be adding much buzz to the amp at all..

TL;DR are cold cathodes worth it, or should I grab a bunch of LEDs and put them in there instead?
Quote by Invader Jim
Sorry, man. Never heard of cold cathode lighting. No idea what it is or how it works

fair enough ..i'd rather know that people don't know about it, rather than people just not answering

I was sure I'd seen it mentioned in posts on here before, but ..yeah, I guess it's more of a computer thing

and after doing a bit more reading, it looks like they act more like fluorescent lights than I first thought.. so they'll probably be super noisey :/

meh, I'll buy some and see how it goes, anyway.. they're like, $6

if that doesnt work out i'll just go with some high efficiency LEDs
a lot of people put them in computer cases, which is easy becasue you have power connectors left and right.
In an amplifier, not so much. I know Hughes and Kettner amps incorporate it, but i don't know how. i would assume they leach of a 5 or 12 volt lead inside the apm and ground to the chassis.
Look into EL Wire (electroluminescent wire), might be better for your use than LEDs, I'm gonna be putting some lights in a guitar and EL wire would work a lot better for me than LED or cold cathode lighting
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Look into EL Wire (electroluminescent wire), might be better for your use than LEDs, I'm gonna be putting some lights in a guitar and EL wire would work a lot better for me than LED or cold cathode lighting

I looked it up on wikipedia, followed a link, and found this:

Do the drivers make any sound?

Yes, they make a high pitched sound. The loudness varies from driver to driver, but no elwire driver is completely silent.

Can the sound bleed out into other equipment?

Yes, the high-pitched sound produced by the drivers can bleed into other equipment, ie phones, musical equipment, if located too close to each other.

What is brighter, neon, LED's, or el wire?

Neon and LED's (including LED ropelight) are FAR brighter than el wire.

so.. it sounds like it'd be pretty good for a guitar, like you're using it for, but I'm hoping to light up the whole interior of the amp, basically, so you can see the tubes/ transformers clearly even in dark rooms with a cool glow..

so the wire doesn't really seem to be for lighting the area around the wire as much, which is what I was going..

thanks for the input, anyway
its looking like running LEDs off a tap on the PT might just be my best bet, afterall
Quote by james4
I looked it up on wikipedia, followed a link, and found this:

so.. it sounds like it'd be pretty good for a guitar, like you're using it for, but I'm hoping to light up the whole interior of the amp, basically, so you can see the tubes/ transformers clearly even in dark rooms with a cool glow..

so the wire doesn't really seem to be for lighting the area around the wire as much, which is what I was going..

thanks for the input, anyway
its looking like running LEDs off a tap on the PT might just be my best bet, afterall

Oh sorry, my bad.... forgot this was an amp
Impossible is Nothing