How do I go about figuring out how to play songs that I hear? For example, if you listen to the song at the below link (especially the first 30 seconds or so), it's got a really beautiful guitar set that I'd love to be able to play - however, with the absence of being able to tell notes by ear, I don't know how to figure this out.

Go to http://www.apunkabollywood.net/browser/category/view/4237/dostana-(2008), select checkbox for song '05' then click the 'Play Selected' button

I tried a few free trials of those software programs that tell you what notes a song is composed of, but those were ridiculous - if you move your mouse half an inch, the guessed note changes a million times of everything its composed of (I'm not sure if I described that well or not). Anyways, not friendly for your average guitar player.

What can I do? There are so many amazing songs out there that I could play (with practice, of course) if only I knew the notes/chords.

I tried looking up tabs for some of these songs online, but they sounded nothing like the song itself - I think those are really meant for backup music if you're SINGING the song while playing the guitar...definitely not what I'm looking for

Help!
How long have you been playing?

I'm not the best and I couldn't figure out some crazy solo by ear or tab it myself, but with time I've become able to figure a lot of things out. You just kind of get used to notes and even if you don't translate it perfectly you can usually get pretty close.

Alternatively you could learn the theory, but I imagine that would take a long time to train your ear.

Either way, I'm not sure there's a quick method to achieve this ability.
learn the position of scales, figure out the key, done...are you saying you too lazy to learn tabs
Quote by cainmd
learn the position of scales, figure out the key, done...are you saying you too lazy to learn tabs

hes saying hes too lazy to learn it by ear, and hes even lazyier and doesnt wanna learn it by tab, and is being super lazy by trying to get a program to do all this **** for him.

Why dont you buy a program that does all the work for you?
Quote by cainmd

I've not been playing very long, but I've played a few scales as per tutorials - I've never understood how scales help with this sort of thing, but I've heard that they do. What should I be learning to do exactly (sorry, I'm new to the theory)
Scales help you build chords and train your ear. You could learn what each scale sounds like and what chords sound like as well. I can hear a small number of open chord and I can improv with sounds by ear just a little. It's not with theory so much as a developed ear.

Both combined are all you could ever need in this situation.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls