--- New text --- Alright well rather than post a new thread, I figured I'd just update this one. If you guys could look down to my last post I pasted in some tabs I'm having trouble with. Could you guys help me nail down some fingering on these? It's very awkward for me currently to try to play this and I'm not sure if it is just my inflexibility or because I'm not using the right fingers.

--old text--
What are some good techniques to get through a song that you're stuck on. For instance I've been trying to play Trivium - Like Light to Flies for probably a year now, although I'm guilty of not practicing it everyday. It's sort of a tough song just because there are two guitar parts in it so it doesn't always sound right. Is this something that I should keep trying to play or when you guys hit songs you are just at a technical disadvantage to play(or are unable to play fast enough), do you skip it and move to something else that is easier just to be able to play all the way through?

I am probably the most guilty of playing part of a song I know, and then failing to learn the rest of the song including the solos because I have a hard time with those too. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to actually advance my playing, rather than just beating my head into a brick wall with the same song over and over again.

I'm guessing the generic answer is just slow down and play it until you get it right then start to speed up, but I'm looking for more personal experience situations rather than that.
Last edited by Exodus04 at Jul 24, 2009,
Well, when I began playing guitar my goal was to be able to play All That Remains songs. Try as I might, I couldn't even play rhythm for the first, well it was a long time. So I gave up on All That Remains for a while and found some bands that were less difficult to play, namely As I Lay Dying and that sort of thing.

Basically, I got my foundation with As I Lay Dying, whose guitar parts are not very difficult in their first few albums, and worked my way up from there, finding more difficult to play bands as I progressed. Eventually, and it must have taken a year or so for me since I'm a slow learner, I was able to play All That Remains rhythm and could take a stab at their leads.

I'm now at the point of memorizing solos and slowly bringing them up to speed, so there is the personal experience you were looking for.

I guess what I'm saying is to find a band which you also like but has guitar parts which you are capable of completely playing, I mean the whole song. As I Lay Dying didn't have solos until their latest album, so that might of been why I chose them, but it's all personal preference.

Maybe old Trivium is easier to play? I don't really know any of their old stuff, but most bands start off not that great and get better, meh...
What I do is I find another,not necessarily easier,song by either the same artist or in the same positions/speeds.

While the stock answer has it right in a way,being able to play the same riff well 10+ times won't make you necessarily get it good at higher speeds.You need to practice until playing the notes is not just an instinctive motion but also until you are able to concentrate on every other part of the playing involved,mainly muting non-played strings and getting the technique you're aiming for down to the slightest order of picking(if that's how you want it).

Then raise the speed.
Maybe you guys can give me a hand where I'm stuck then.

I'm trying to play this section here and I just can't find a good way to actually use my fingers to play these notes fluently. It seems very awkward to me.

Guitars 1 and 2
E|------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------|
D|----------7-------------------------|
A|-8--8--7-----8--5--8--8--7-8-10-8-7-|
D|--88-88-88-88-------88-88-8-8--8-8--|
 pm .. .. .. ..       .. .. . .  . .

Guitars 1 and 2
E|------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------|