I feel rather limited in my music knowing only Pentatonic/blues, harmonic minor and the Aeolian and Lydian modes, what are some other modes and scales that some of you guys have used. I really wanna give my songwriting a little spice, thanks.
Quote by Dio10010
knowing.........the Aeolian and Lydian modes
I seriously doubt that claim

Have you read the modes sticky?
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 23, 2009,
for modes, i'd learn all of them, i mean lydian and phrygian are the same shape with different root, as are locrian and ionian. if you want something a bit different, try going down the harmonic minor route?
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by Robbbbb
for modes, i'd learn all of them, i mean lydian and phrygian are the same shape with different root, as are locrian and ionian. if you want something a bit different, try going down the harmonic minor route?
This is exactly why so many people get confused with modes
Quote by Dio10101
I do know those modes, why would it be surprising? And I will look for it.
Because if you really knew how modes worked you wouldn't need to ask that question

Sticky is right here BTW: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042392
I mean I just know the shapes.

EDIT: The only modal theory I know is that they are all just taking on different degrees in a scale and moving forward.
Last edited by Dio10101 at Jul 23, 2009,
Learning more scales won't remove your limits. Learn to do what you want with the major and minor scale.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
For beginners: keep to the major scale for chord progressions and melodies and keep to pentatonics for soloing. These are the two easiest scales. When you actually have song writing and improvising experience, you may want to move on to minor scales (for song writing) and major scales (for improvising).

And no, knowing shapes does not constitute knowing that scale.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.