Ok.... I've been playing for like 2 years and I honestly have the skill of someone who's been playing for like a month or two. I can't get lessons right now for a few reasons, but I really do want to improve.

Can anyone recommend a good practice routine that could get me on track? (Not just random tips, but like step by step for retards)
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
start by memorizing the fretboard. pick a note, play that note on each string. memorize this note, then move on to the next. do this and after a few weeks you'll have it pretty much down. i think this is an important first step in learning the guitar rather than mindlessly playing tabbed songs or random notes
Quote by ZoSo_bc89
start by memorizing the fretboard. pick a note, play that note on each string. memorize this note, then move on to the next. do this and after a few weeks you'll have it pretty much down. i think this is an important first step in learning the guitar rather than mindlessly playing tabbed songs or random notes

I was looking more for like physically playing. (Plus, as you can see from my sig, I'm usually tuned like a half step or a step down, so memorizing the notes isn't really a priority right now.)
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by vartanspartan
I was looking more for like physically playing. (Plus, as you can see from my sig, I'm usually tuned like a half step or a step down, so memorizing the notes isn't really a priority right now.)

Why would being tuned down matter? They're still notes.
Quote by vartanspartan

You should still know the notes. It is usually like the first thing you do.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
I would just practice scales. Or learn songs piece by piece and play it until you never mess up.

You could also practice your technique. (picking, harmonics, etc.)
if all you care about is technique, that can be practiced playing ANYTHING. but if you ever want to have some sense of satisfaction in your playing ability you need to know some theory, and knowing the notes is the first step. otherwise the fretboard will always look complicated. and anyway, you can do this no matter how its tuned
Quote by Mr. B.
You should still know the notes. It is usually like the first thing you do.

Ok, true, but I feel like if we took a poll on UG most people wouldn't have the notes memorized. I mean, I know the open strings and the octaves/fifths/fourths and can figure out the ones in between fairly quickly if i need to, but I can't just point to a fret and name it off the top of my head.
Quote by Trowzaa
ok i start with simple warm up exersizes up and down with a metronome for about 10 mins to warm up my figers

heres two for examples:

|-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------|
|-------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------|
|---------------------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------|
|-----------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|
|------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------|

|-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------|
|-------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------|
|---------------------------------1-4-2-3-------------------------------|
|-----------------------1-4-2-3-----------------------------------------|
|------------1-4-2-3----------------------------------------------------|
|-1-4-2-3---------------------------------------------------------------|

then play a songs i enjoy this for (like 10 mins)

then i work on my weknesses for 20 mins- this could be tremolo picking, sweepicking,triplets,hybrid picking,taps,memorising the fret board... ect

*then i play a song i like again

*then go back to the thing i find hard

*carry on alternating the two stared steps until you want to stop your practice session

then do warm downs... ( same thing as warm ups)

I normally do 3-6 hours a day like this
^ That's actually good.. I guess a little obvious, but good. I think it's a matter of self-discipline for me..... idk.
Quote by Trowzaa
I know this is kind of a general answer but go to www.justinguitar.com. He has level specific practice routines for both beginners and intermediate players. It has helped me alot in the past few months.
forget different tunings until you know the notes on the fretboard
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all