I honestly cannot do it at all, unless its a short run of only maybe 5 or 6 notes. I mean, if I see a tab, I can play it, but when I'm learning something by ear, it's pretty much impossible for me to be able to distinguish what notes are what except for the beginning and end notes... Any advice?
Put them into something like audacity and slow it down to the point where you can do it by ear
listen to a lick > figure out what position of the scale the notes fall in > shred
Quote by Confusius
There's a nifty program called Transcriber which will help you out.

do you have a link? I've went through a few pages of google and haven't found anything of it.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
do you have a link? I've went through a few pages of google and haven't found anything of it.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

do you mind if you post a link? I'm kind of interested in this!
that's called melodic dictation. it is pretty difficult. i learned it in my aural skills classes. we used this: www.mhhe.com/et7

like everything else, you start slow and build up.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Practice learning slower things first, also work on improving your aural knowledge of scales and chords and intervals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Practice learning slower things first, also work on improving your aural knowledge of scales and chords.

I've been taking piano lessons, which include music theory, for the past 8 years... I know almost everything about scales and chords. And I can learn everything else by ear, it's just fast runs that I have trouble learning... Like if it's just a slow melody with only a few fast parts that aren't long, I can pick it up in like 10 minutes.
Quote by Megalomanic9345
do you mind if you post a link? I'm kind of interested in this!

I actually found a different thing called Transcriber, I just realized. The one I found is for transcribing speech signals or something
Quote by cainmd
listen to a lick > figure out what position of the scale the notes fall in > shred

Well, the thing is, the song I'm learning is Devil Take Tomorrow and he plays this run that's actually not that fast, but its fast enough to not be able to hear the notes well, and he changes the key/scale like 3 or 4 times during the run and the only part I got figured out is the first 5 notes and last 5 notes... everything else is just mush lol.
only thing else i can think of is think of it in parts. try to learn like 5 seconds by ear and move on to the next 5 seconds when you get that, etc. i don't think is a guaranteed way where someone can just say "do this" and instantly you'll have the skill you want.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by steven seagull
Practice learning slower things first, also work on improving your aural knowledge of scales and chords and intervals.

^ Great advice

Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Well, the thing is, the song I'm learning is Devil Take Tomorrow and he plays this run that's actually not that fast, but its fast enough to not be able to hear the notes well, and he changes the key/scale like 3 or 4 times during the run and the only part I got figured out is the first 5 notes and last 5 notes... everything else is just mush lol.

Try putting it in this thing

http://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I found this one called "Transcribe!" and I figured it out... He didn't really change scales or anything it was just a strange mix of notes.

Oh, cool ! Glad you figured it out.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
just put it in windows media player and slow it down. assuming you have windows that is.

Nope, I have a Mac. Sometimes I wish I had Windows though
Usually I can slow things down and speed them up in garageband, but for some reason it wouldn't work.